PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-20-2021, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJets View Post
And also, I have never designed a paper model before and I wanted to know if there were any special considerations for designing a 3D object intended to be modeled in paper rather than strictly for display on a screen.
Unfortunately Blender was too complex for me when I got into paper modeling so I have no idea how to operate it. However, regarding the requirements for papercrafting, I can tell you that it is very important to remove all intersections on the model before you unfold the parts. Intersections can be invisible in the 3d view but become visible on the unfolded part. They are created when two objects are pushed inside of each other. The part which "overlaps" blocks the final unfolded parts and prevents them from being assembled as intended. If that overlap is not removed the model will not be buildable (unless the builder adapts the part in queestion by manually cutting a hole into a part). Please see the attached images (1-5).

Big parts may also profit from the addition of an internal skeleton (attached pics 6-8). Usually this is done by using interlocking shapes which go from the top to the bottom and from one side to the other of the model. A skeleton adds strength and prevents the model from collapsing. In order to make the skeleton fit it is important to consider the paper thickness, meaning the skeleton must be a tad smaller than the model. The same goes for parts on the model which are supposed to interlock with other parts. The smaller the model the more paper thickness affects the build.
Attached Thumbnails
How would I model this shape?-01.jpg   How would I model this shape?-02.jpg   How would I model this shape?-04.jpg   How would I model this shape?-05.jpg   How would I model this shape?-06.jpg  

How would I model this shape?-dscf9774a.jpg   How would I model this shape?-dscf9782a.jpg   How would I model this shape?-dscf9809a.jpg  

Last edited by Revell-Fan; 11-20-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
You may be right, Airdave.
Some images from this page (link below) support your drawing.

you posted two photos along with this statement
...the second of which is not the building we are talking about.
I just corrected you on this.
If you find that an insult, I have no comment.

As I said, I have an interior photo of the correct building.
It was a quick and easy find.

I've never done any paper model design in 3D software either,
but dividing 360 degrees by 7 isn't that difficult.
I'm not sure why that insults you either.

I asked a question....are you just looking for someone to design this for you?
If you check around, you'll find we have many members who have no skills with 3D and graphics software.
Based on your comments in this and other threads, I made that assumption.
I was offering to give you the paper model template.

Its not very complicated at all. There are no "complex" shapes.
I might just build one myself, because I thought it was an interesting building and fairly simple project.

Never mind. Moving on.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
AirDave, IndyJets -
- I see there was a serious misunderstanding. It's me, not IndyJets, who posted the wrong image of the second building, and it's my fault not his! I simply tried to understand the concrete structure arrangement (as a civil engineer myself) and I found AirDave's drawing correct but I had no idea there were two similar heptagonal buildings (however their structural solutions look similar too). Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for clarification, AirDave, but please be careful and check whose post you are replying (IndyJets took it personally) ...

Last edited by Viator; 11-21-2021 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
you posted two photos along with this statement
...the second of which is not the building we are talking about.
I just corrected you on this.
If you find that an insult, I have no comment.

As I said, I have an interior photo of the correct building.
It was a quick and easy find.

I've never done any paper model design in 3D software either,
but dividing 360 degrees by 7 isn't that difficult.
I'm not sure why that insults you either.

I asked a question....are you just looking for someone to design this for you?
If you check around, you'll find we have many members who have no skills with 3D and graphics software.
Based on your comments in this and other threads, I made that assumption.
I was offering to give you the paper model template.

Its not very complicated at all. There are no "complex" shapes.
I might just build one myself, because I thought it was an interesting building and fairly simple project.

Never mind. Moving on.
I just want to apologize for the misunderstanding. I would like to attempt this design myself in Blender (as I do have some familiarity with 3D design)... based on the information I've gathered, all I would need to do would be to create the basic shape and unwrap it, then send it to Inkscape as an SVG to finish applying colors and textures.

What sequence of steps would I need to perform in order to create the shape of Concourse B? Is it possible to move points by specified amounts numerically or is it all by dragging with the mouse until it's "close enough"? And how do I establish scale units in Blender in order to get the finished product to the needed physical size? And angles... say, for instance, I need to form a shape with a precise 60-degree angle, do I have any tool that allows me to do that or am I left to draw diagrams and solve triangles and calculate coordinates manually, then go back and enter those into the program?

I'm planning on building the whole terminal as a series of separate models that can be placed side by side.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 189.83 MB
i would approach it like that ...

I have tried to describe it the best I could,
Blender Geometry - tutorial - YouTube
If something is not clear or you need more info - let me know.

Regards
Matt
Google Adsense