PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 01-20-2022, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 325.07 MB
Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel

After seeing on ebay one for sale, searching, I finally find one in a another ebay auction.
I never tought as a good "model" do build, due to the "toy" appearence. However I did find it it attractive.
My example, far away from pristine and expensive, as a old battered example, that someone had glued and patched up with bits of paper print copies.
My aim was to scan the parts, and restore the in photoshop, maintaining the "feel" of a old model.
I didn't notest at the time, but I had already seen that model before, in a job lot of old Built-Rite models sold in Vectis auctions. It seems that the later someone put the hangar on sale....
Attached Thumbnails
Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-vintage-built-rite-airport-26-united_1_0017c10f1ce531181b5685f7c647012f.jpg   Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-4200_l.jpg   Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-s-l1600-28-.jpg  

Last edited by Goncalo Mendes; 01-20-2022 at 12:33 AM. Reason: add a photo
Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2022, 12:24 AM

Well, when the model arrived, the state was the expected one, as can be seen on the auction photo!
Unfortunatly I din't remember to take photos of the parts after receiving then.
Nothing good to save for!
Attached Thumbnails
Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-s-l1600-20-.jpg  
Old 01-20-2022, 01:12 AM

After many hours of cut and past ind phototoshop, working with very big files(!), surelly a overkill task for such a purpose, I finally manage to restore the parts, to make a "virtual" assembly in autocad. This was for parts dimension and align the different elements, so that printing errors, different original sizes etc, were resolved.
As original, the parts were printed on both sides, and joined with protruding tabs in holes, intended to be easelly desassembled and stored in the box, that also was used as base. As this detracted in a static model, after all it was to be reduced, I arranged the holes, to have the complete image of the part.

While in autocad, I change the shape of the model. As seeing the original toy, I considered that the place of the control tower over the hangar roof, was too irrealistic, considering the "architectural reality" side of such a construction, with brick walls without support. So, taking advantage of the existence of a side tower already in the model, I change/modify the parts, and "enlarged" to make it the same the size and height.
So I finally get a image with a assembly of parts that I could take to into Sketchup to see how it fits!
Attached Thumbnails
Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-v2-smallerrrrr.jpg  

Last edited by Goncalo Mendes; 01-20-2022 at 01:43 AM. Reason: add text
Old 01-20-2022, 01:35 AM

In sketchup, after some tweeking and digital paper scratchbuilding, I finally manage to get a model out of my work!!!
Trying to keep the flat sided parts, as original, the idea is to glue the parts on heavier card, more or less 1mm, or about 0,5mm, if printed in a thicker paper.

This leave the problem of the thickness on sight ...
Well, I tought that the border thickness can be painted, or covered with narrow strips of black card, easier than cutting such narrow parts out of white paper!

I did think that the beacon gained in being "three dimensional", and adapted some extra parts in case of trying to have a detached control tower, with a more "realistic" roof....

When satisfied, I flatten the model, distribute the parts pages....

At 1/100, some individual parts barelly fits in a size A4 sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-07.jpg   Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-06.jpg   Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-192.jpg  

Last edited by Goncalo Mendes; 01-20-2022 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Great work Goncalo! This is going to be a cute little kit.

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2022, 02:36 AM

While in sketchup, I also think on how to "make some instructions"
The idea was to use screenshots of "half-unfolded" parts, and/ placing them separated, with a near image of the desired result!!!!
Incidently, despite showing on some parts in the instructions, I didn't add glue tabs!!! They appear because I tought on showing where I considered they should be created.
As the roof don't fit in the page (as the part have the roof interior side topwalls), I divided it in two, with a extrapart to get a seamless joint.

One note, the tower isn't square! And in the searchlight/beacon assembly, the rectangular white shapes is the 1mm thick spare card as intended to be used in forming/assembling the parts. If anyone think on build the detached tower, need to use the sidewall with window, and print a second hangar wall, hand make a little surgery with a second roof print too (as it is, the roof part is designed to be with the attached control tower !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-01.jpg   Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-02.jpg   Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-03.jpg   Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-04.jpg   Aircraft hangar inspired in vintage Built-Rite cardmodel-05.jpg  

Old 01-20-2022, 02:57 AM

This is my first attemp to make and share a model, using sketchup, and it is a test subject!
I'm not really convinced with the final quality, having started on such large files! I had to lower the file resolution/ quality, as the programs were "slowing..." Next time, I will try to make the final panels directly from autocad, or create independent individual higher quality files to import to sketchup...
If printed half size, in quality, maybe the many faults will be less visible!

"Live and Learn"!!!

If anyone want one to build it, enjoy! But please post images!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hangar 1_100.pdf (4.09 MB, 52 views)
Old 01-20-2022, 03:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 141.92 MB
Hey, that's cool - thank you very much for publishing!
Old 01-20-2022, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
A couple of years back I started to design a vintage Airfield Hangar building similar to this.
I wanted a backdrop, diorama type setting for photos of my models.

Anyway, things got out of hand...parts were just too big...and I shelved the work.

I had no idea something like this existed.
Its beautiful!

Thanks for the share of the parts...I am going to try to build it small.
This way I can visualize it better and then see if I can modify and adapt the design.
Maybe I can create myself the hangar backdrop that I wanted.
Who knows, I might be able to produce something to add to my Airport/Airfield retail kits.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a terrific project. It is very kind and generous of you to share the results of all that work.

The resulting hangar is a vintage beauty and will make a nice setting for a Rigby (for example) model or a Boeing 247.

Don
Google Adsense