PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the welcoming words, Leif! We had a wonderful time in France (it was our first visit to that country).

Blue foam is a dense form of expanded polystyrene (Polystyrene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), similar to the stuff that is used to pack electronic devices for shipment and that forms the "core" of Foamcore board (Foamcore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I'm not sure what it is called in Europe.

Expanded polystyrene is also used for egg cartons in the United States and there have been many articles in the American flying models magazines about making small hand-launched gliders from egg cartons.

The "blue foam" version is used on a large scale as house insulation and other such applications and has become very popular among craftspeople because it is dense enough to be carved. And it is not always blue. Art and craft stores sell a brown version that has characteristics of a cross between balsa and basswood (linden).

Back to the topic. Once I have policed up the battlefield following the trip to France, I intend to collect all of your material on these hand and catapult-launched gliders for future reference. It is wonderful stuff.

Don
Old 09-09-2016, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Bravo, Leif! Superb graphics and clear instructions. Back in the day, my son and I built many many Whitewings gliders using similar methods.

Don
Old 09-16-2016, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Six years after the fact I ran into this video, which give a pretty good picture of what these paper gliders look in the air. Note the number of planes in the air simultateously, their high speed, but also their very good glide angles.

After watching it I clicked the playlist of the uploader, Yasushi Toguchi. There are several videos on the same subject; some of them may be even better than this one. Let's check them out...

I should aso include the link to the blogpage where I found the video, Google-translated. The name is kind of intriguing... - "Morning Cafe: Paper Airplane"

There are at least three links on that page that seems worth pursuing:

Airplane

Airframe

Flight

Here's a photo from one of those pages, depicting the author's favourite "Unit 2". This general layout seems to have stuck as the standard design in Japan. It is much like the one I picked as a template for the Quetzalcoatl six years ago, although the building methods and design details are probably much more advanced today. One of the subjects above is about the washout of the "Unit 2", which seems most interesting!

Those notes were written at the beginning of this September, so we are right up at the design front here!

- Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Quetzalcoatl high-performance all-paper glider-unit-2.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 09-16-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Thank you for posting this, Leif! Very informative, great Build guidance, and something that looks fun to both Build and fly!

Alan
Old 04-27-2017, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.23 MB
ˇAn impressive model in any point of view! Congratulations on doing so beautiful job, Leif!
I has builded many kinds of model gliders on my entire life and enjoyig them, but I want to replicate nice paper model gliders in scale and good flying too, from now on! They must be in 1:10 scale, maybe. It is my personal challenge and pleasure! Cheers!
Google Adsense
Old 04-28-2017, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
1/10 ought to be an excellent choice of scale for a flying glider model! Please report all progress, whether successful or not. Kind regards, Leif
Old 05-01-2017, 01:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.23 MB
Thanks you very much Leif! Your post encourage me to build that model!
I´ll be in contact
Old 05-01-2017, 07:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
I have completed a process to translate the instructions of Mr. Toguchi for his two glider designs into English. I if Leif gives the okay, I will post them to this thread. One question that came up for me while doing this work is about the paper Toguchi uses for his models. He says that he uses 225 kg paper. This is obviously a Japanese paper weight convention. I have not found a good reference for converting it to gsm or even some other intermediate card stock weight like bond, bristol or index. I think that it might be close to 110 lb index stock which is fairly heavy, but that's really just speculation on my part.

Anyone here know what 225 kg Japanese paper might be equivalent to in any other paper weight measuring convention?

Curt
Old 05-02-2017, 05:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Found this page that states it is 260gsm:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/p...4901480794839/

This page from the same online store says it is 0.28mm in thickness:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/m...u/item/683069/

Seems to be close to 300 series Bristol board which is very stiff.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 625.64 MB
Thank you for posting this!
Google Adsense