PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.01 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisVon View Post
Not much done today (pretty hectic here at work.) I redone the turtleback / canopy section to give it a more rounded look. In addition, the window braces are in place. I'm a little worried about how sturdy they will be. I intend for them to be folded in half (or even doubled up as two separate pieces for each brace), but I just don't want them over time to start buckling. It may not be a problem though, since the rear part of the turtleback will be glued to the tail section. I just might be worrying for nothing. lol

One thing that HAS been eating at me, is what to do for windows. Most owner / operators actually have the side windows removed (which solves the problem of placing any there in the first place!) If I decide to go that rout, then a "simulated" paper windshield will be sufficient. But then what do I do about the rear part (as I mentioned in one of my previous posts).

The way it's looking, I'll probably have to build the canopy / turtleback assembly as a single piece, rather than "building up" from the sides of the cockpit area, then the braces, then the turtleback, then the windows. But I'm not sure how easily building it all as a separate piece, then gluing to the fuselage afterwards will be. It may not be an issue, and for those who are far more experienced at paper modelling than I am, it's probably a piece of cake. Also, I somewhat hate the idea of using windows made of paper on the model, since I plan on adding some cockpit details later on (probably sooner than later in fact). But just thinking about it now, I could do something a bit novel, and give the modeller the option of keeping the windows "open", and have them hanging down on the sides of the fuselage. With a setup like that, you'd see the inside of the cockpit.

Well, I'm overanalyzing (and probably overcomplicating) this as usual. lol It's looking likely that I'll be home tomorrow (FINALLY!) It will be nice to actually post some PAPER modelling rather than digital modelling for a change.

Chris

It's been a while Chris,

I hope all is fine and the model is getting ready.....

You can understand that I can hardly wait........
Old 11-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice drawings I enjoy the 3d as much as the card bits
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 AM

Any news Chris? Status on the Agcat?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 PM

This is an EXTREMELY rough prototype thus far.

I WISH the camera took better pictures (the "yellow" that shows in the pictures doesn't reflect how the actual model's "Ag-Cat Yellow" looks. In addition, the "edge lines" of the various parts seem really exagerated due to the flash. Oh well, I'm not a photographer.

A few notes of what I'm facing now with the model.

As you probably noticed, the hopper was accidently textured wrong (I wanted it to look more like the brownish color you see on most ag-cats. This is an easy fix however. The only reason I hadn't fixed it for the prototype build, is because I had already cut out parts on the same sheet that the hopper was on. Since this was just a "let's see how everything fits and looks" build, I didn't push the issue.

I really would like SOME detail in the interior. I have a few ideas on how to accomplish this, based on a model build of an F-4U corsair that I bought from E-Card models. It will probably be something to the effect of building the cockpit, then "wrapping" the side panels around it. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

I have been brainstorming on how I will accomplish mounting the bottom wing to the fuselage. I really like the "wing saddle" idea, where there would be a section of the sides of the fuselage cut to the shape of the airfoil, then have an internal center section installed with openings on each end to allow for the wings to be "inserted" with tabs that are placed on the wings themselves. This may be a problem though, as the saddle will be seen from the inside of the cockpit area. What may end up happening, is that I will simply have to glue the wing panels to the sides of the fuselage itself, then proceed from there. But in either case, I'm not sure exactly how to "locate" where the wing should be attached to the paper model (on the computer generated model, I was able to locate it with the 3 view overlay in my 3d software.) I've got a couple of ideas that I'll test hopefully soon to alleviate this problem.

One of the BIGGEST problems I have been facing for the longest time, is what to do with the "fold lines" that help guide the modeller on where to place his valley or mountain fold. Sure I can simply turn them off (I'm using Pepakura by the way), but then there would be no guides for someone to make their folds. Keeping them on though, makes the model look too unrealistic.

If you also noticed, you'll see that the front of the fuselage stops right at the firewall. This was done intentionally for one main reason. Once this model is finished, you'll have the option to either mount a traditional radial engine on it (9 cylinder of course), or go modern with a turbine nacelle (as the screenshots depict). The radial engine will have a separate engine mount that will go between the fuselage and the engine itself.

Tonight I'll probably have the top wing center section (fuel tank) made up to the struts and to the fuselage, with pics to follow after. I'll also possibly make the engine nacelle and either glue it in place to the fuselage, or just leave it on the side for the comparison (which is probably what I will end up doing.)
Attached Thumbnails
Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0959.jpg   Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0960.jpg   Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0961.jpg   Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0963.jpg   Turbine Grumman Ag-Cat-pict0964.jpg  

Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Glad to see this one still alive. Great idea to have it sat up to use either style of engine.
Google Adsense
Old 07-12-2010, 03:21 AM

Great news! Not only is this thread still alive, but there is big promise that it will come up with a beautiful model as well...

As for the fold lines, maybe you could use some special marks on the 2 "parallel" sides outside of the part (say a triangle or an arrow) to depict the exact point of fold or valley, across the part ad then ask pepakura not to show the lines....just an idea...
Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Lost?

I've been searching for Ag-Cat models and saw this. Does anyone know where this ended up? I can't seem to find any other info.

I'm contemplating getting RC plans to draw up a paper model.

This will be my first. Any advice as to programs, file formats, file conversion, etc.? I have been playing with Sketchup and Pepakura (a little), but no where near ready to bust out a model. I figured making individual parts would be good OJT since I'm teaching myself everything.

Any advice/help is appreciated.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:28 AM

Would hope the project is just stalled and will get reactivated at some time, would really like to see on available.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:29 PM

Yes, especially if there were a radial engine verson available which is mainly what we used to see in the San Joaquin Valley in Calif.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:22 PM

That's were I used to see them all the time heading up 99 to Turlock or Sacto or around Bakersfield when going to Mesa Marin.
Google Adsense