PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
it should be easy to fix the backwards part in paint. just use the outline square and flip it horizontal, then print the entire file after saving under a new name. scale should not be a problem...
Old 11-22-2009, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Just in case someone's curious about the Australian carriers...

I've just put a walkaround of an Australian Carrier with 2-Pounder gun on the AMMS Brisbane site - AMMS Brisbane. This version didn't enter service because the 2 Pdr gun wasn't powerful enough to take on mid-war German armour.

The lengthened hull and repositioned engine are fairly obvious changes compared to the standard carrier. There was also a 3inch Mortar carrier built on a similar chassis - some 400 of these were built in 1943-44. Most of the mortar carriers were sent to the Nationalist Chinese army. No one knows what happened to them in Chinese service.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 11-22-2009, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The Australian 2-Pounder carrier was a very interesting vehicle. Thanks for this info, Charlie. I always enjoy my visits to the AMMS Brisbane site and took the liberty of reading your article on building the KV-2.

The mortar carriers in ROC service are tantalizing. We have at the Military History Institute the papers of Rothwell Brown, a man with a fascinating military career that included command of the U.S.-Chinese Provisional Tank Group in Burma in 1944 (he also spent time in Mongolia in the mid 1930s while assigned to the 15th Infantry in China, commanded the Army tank Training Detachment in India 1941, was involved with the Chinese Armor School after the war, commanded an infantry regiment in Korea in 1948 when Orlando Ward commanded the 6th Division there, and more). I can't imagine that he has anything in his papers about those elusive carriers, but one never knows.

I'm off to bed with visions of carriers dancing in my head.

Don
Old 11-22-2009, 09:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
The Australian 2-Pounder carrier was a very interesting vehicle. Thanks for this info, Charlie. I always enjoy my visits to the AMMS Brisbane site and took the liberty of reading your article on building the KV-2.

The mortar carriers in ROC service are tantalizing. We have at the Military History Institute the papers of Rothwell Brown, a man with a fascinating military career that included command of the U.S.-Chinese Provisional Tank Group in Burma in 1944 (he also spent time in Mongolia in the mid 1930s while assigned to the 15th Infantry in China, commanded the Army tank Training Detachment in India 1941, was involved with the Chinese Armor School after the war, commanded an infantry regiment in Korea in 1948 when Orlando Ward commanded the 6th Division there, and more). I can't imagine that he has anything in his papers about those elusive carriers, but one never knows.

I'm off to bed with visions of carriers dancing in my head.

Don
It would be amazing if you can find something about the mortar carriers. Both Paul Handel and Lee Reynolds (Aussie historians) have searched in China and found nothing. The PLA museum in Beijing and ROC museum in Taiwan knew nothing about them. I would have thought they were used in China since they were a light tracked vehicle which could fire a 3 inch mortar off the rear deck - the British mortar carrier required the crew to unpack and set up the mortar. The concept was much like the M113 mortar carrier.

I've attached an image of a vehicle at Corowa 2009 which is a replica of the mortar carrier (there are no surviving mortar carriers in Australia). However, it isn't the correct hull and the mortar was mounted on a rotating plate rather than on the deck plate.

Thanks for the compliment about the AMMS Brisbane site - I built and maintain it.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Carrier in 1:72-corowa_mortar_carrier_1.jpg  

Last edited by CharlieC; 11-22-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to jmodule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
The only part that caused me trouble was #6 because I did not know what to do with the white spot.
I put the white spot in back behind the tool box which did not work well because the tool box is too short to cover the white spot completely.
Your model looks great. It looks like you found the right way to attach the box in back. I think it's slightly taller on one side, and that's the side that should go against the passenger compartment wall.

In other news... :-) I've uploaded a corrected set of files to the download section that should replace (if I did it correctly) the current files. I can't believe I missed the problem with two left sides in the quick-build suspension, since I know I had to fix it once before.

I'm glad to see people enjoying the model. I look forward to seeing any modifications you all come up with.
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2009, 09:19 AM

You know also there is a Micromodels Universal Carrier in the Weapons of War or Tanks series
Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the corrections to your model, Jim. I will be able to download the corrected version just in time to take it to Cape May, where I hope to build some carriers and start on the Ursus Platforma and TK3.

The mortar carrier looks good, Charlie, even if the chassis is incorrect. Reminds me of a vehicle we had in the ARVN battalion to which I was advisor in 1966-67. It was an offshore procurement 2 1/2-ton truck with some pierced steel planking attached to the sides, a 4.2-inch mortar on a home-made revolving platform in the back, and mounts for machine guns at the corners of the bed. The battalion commander, Major Nguyen Vanh Thanh, called it his "autoblinda." If I ever find the shoe box with my Vietnam photos, I probably have a photo of that improbable contraption. It was rather like the gun trucks the Transportation Corps folks modified in Vietnam and Iraq.

Thanks for this info on another carrier model, Oksana.

Don
Old 11-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.30 MB
thanks for the model, I reduced it to 2mm to foot scale looks good are you still interested in French model tanks. I did a charB1 and a french half track if your interested send me your email address and I'll send them to you.
regards Matt
Old 11-24-2009, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to jmodule
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadam View Post
I reduced it to 2mm to foot scale
So about 1:144 scale? That's pretty small. I'd love to see a picture if you get one of the completed model. I'll PM you about the French tanks, thanks.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
At the present time, I cannot find the Universal Carrier in the Download section.

Ken
Google Adsense