PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB

The universal carrier leads a convoy.
Other vehicles are: Panhard, DUKW, BA-64, BA-6, Raupen Schlepper, Opal Blitz ambulance, Opal Blitz Truck, last but not least the Pink Panther.

Last edited by Zakopious; 11-14-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Replaced picture.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great convoy!

I am almost finished with my somewhat lumpy model with the quick-build suspension. Just have to add the fiddly bits and then I hope to build the "real" one with the three-dimensional suspension.

I had no problems with the assembly, Jim. You have produced a very well-engineered model.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc-001.jpg   Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc-002.jpg   Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc-003.jpg  
Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to jmodule
I happy to see some pictures of the model being built. Thanks guys!

Don, your model looks pretty sharp, even if you don't think it's quite up to your regular standards. It looks like you got pretty close to the right color when covering up the white edges. Did you use paint for that?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Jim -- The MODEL was definitely up to and far beyond my standards. It was my craftsmanship that was under par.

For coloring the edges, I used a Caran D'Ache Neocolor water soluble wax crayon as recommended by Alan Wheeler. Coloring edges?

They are available from D. Blick Caran d'Ache Neocolor II Artists' Crayons - BLICK art materials

Expensive, but they last a long time and are very versatile (can be sharpened to a fine point). I also used them to cover the black dashed score lines and, to some extent, fill in small gaps. I also used a pale gray crayon to touch up the water can.

The olive drab crayon is not an exact match, but it is close enough and kind of emulates the sheen that tends to appear on the edges of military vehicles painted in matt colors.

With regard to this model, things are kind of hectic right now, but I have hopes of at least getting the fiddly bits on this one, if not get a start on the "advanced" version before departing for Cape may next Tuesday.

I really like your little model and I hope you design more British equipment of this era.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 11-16-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to jmodule
Quote:
The MODEL was definitely up to and far beyond my standards. It was my craftsmanship that was under par.
I guess was being to subtle in my reply. I knew you weren't criticizing the design, I was just trying to say it looks like you're doing a great job. :o Sometimes it pays to be blunt. :D

I'll definitely check out those crayons, $1.39 each is really not a bad price and I'd only need a few colors to cover most of the military genre.
Google Adsense
Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post

The universal carrier leads a convoy.
Other vehicles are: Panhard, DUKW, BA-64, BA-6, Raupen Schlepper, Opal Blitz ambulance, Opal Blitz Truck, last but not least the Pink Panther.
I just caught that: Pink Panther! ROTFL

That is just too cool!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Now you've got the base vehicle for a whole raft of possible modifications. One of my favourites is a carrier armed with a Vickers machine gun in the forward position - the Australian version had the water jacket on the gun barrel plumbed into the cooling system of the carrier. There's always the Panzerjaeger Bren - loaded with 3 Panzerschrecks and a bunch of Panzerfausts.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 11-18-2009, 09:49 PM

Well, Jim, I have finished building your fine little model. I did not do justice to it (the close ups really reveal the flaws), but I enjoyed the building and I think my "fiddly bits" skills have improved as a result.

The last photo shows the model alongside the Caran D/Ache Neocolor water soluble wax crayon 249 (Olive) that I used for coloring the edges. During the basic build, I rubbed the crayon along the edges. For the lights and other small parts, I dipped a brush in water and then ran the brush along the crayon to get a thick soupy liquid and then applied it with the brush.

I used 0.010-inch brass wire for the antenna and the railing atop the engine compartment. They look a little ragged because I wanted to take the photos tonight and rushed the process of coating the brass wire with the crayon.

Perhaps I will manage to do a better job with the more complex version next week at Cape May. I also plan to build the slightly smaller Paper Tiger Armaments version of the Bren Gun Carrier.

I hope you design more armored fighting vehicles in this scale. It looks like that Horstmann suspension is the same, or very similar to that used on the Vickers light tanks (I'm sure Charlie C will weigh in here with more authoritative info). I'd love to see some of those ugly prewar tanks, like the Vicker Medium II and the Japanese Type 89. With your simplified construction and perhaps a little Kevin Stephens-style layering, the complicated suspension wouldn't be so daunting.

Anyway, many thanks for making this gem available.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc-004a.jpg   Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc-005a.jpg   Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc-006a.jpg   Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc-007a.jpg   Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc-008a.jpg  

Old 11-18-2009, 10:05 PM

Nice work, Don! Cool little model and you did a nice job with it!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I hope you design more armored fighting vehicles in this scale. It looks like that Horstmann suspension is the same, or very similar to that used on the Vickers light tanks (I'm sure Charlie C will weigh in here with more authoritative info). I'd love to see some of those ugly prewar tanks, like the Vicker Medium II and the Japanese Type 89. With your simplified construction and perhaps a little Kevin Stephens-style layering, the complicated suspension wouldn't be so daunting.

Don
The same suspension system was used on most of the Vickers light tanks from the 1930s. It was robust, cheap to make and didn't require dampers (the friction of the arms did the damping). When you look at a carrier (there's one a couple km from my place) - the simplicity and robustness of the suspension really is striking. The carriers were never criticised for their suspension - the track wear and brake lining consumption was a different story. The Medium II and Type 89 used a Vickers designed suspension but it was an older design from the 1920s.

It's a pity there aren't models of the Vickers light tanks around. Even in the pl****c world there are a couple of models of the Mark VI but none of the others.

If I can make a comment about the carrier model - to my eye it could do with a Bren gun or Boyes AT rifle sticking out the front.

I was looking at carrier images and one particularly struck me - the Germans used lots of captured carriers in all sorts of roles - including personnel transport.
However, the original carrier was a bit limited in the number of troops it could carry. The Germans hacked off the sidewalls - extended the floor plates and produced
a transport which could carry a section of troops. Admittedly the thing looked like one of those images of human pyramids when it was loaded up - guess it beat walking through the snow.

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 11-18-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Google Adsense