PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Found an image of the Carrier converted to troop transport.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Carrier in 1:72-fahrgestell_bren.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Well, Jim, I have finished building your fine little model.
Excellent effort Don, the wire bits really add to the model. I think you should be able to move up to the "3-D" suspension with little problem. That brass wire you used wrapped around a rolled paper rod would make a pretty convincing spring in there....

Mike
Old 11-19-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post

The universal carrier leads a convoy.
Other vehicles are: Panhard, DUKW, BA-64, BA-6, Raupen Schlepper, Opal Blitz ambulance, Opal Blitz Truck, last but not least the Pink Panther.
what is the opel blitz from. looks interesting
Old 11-19-2009, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Charlie - Thanks for the additonal info on the suspension systems. I've always liked the look of the Vickers light tanks and would love to see them available in paper. And do you remember the Dinky cast metal Vickers Mk. II medium?

Mike - I was thinking along the same lines for the springs. I'm taking along print outs of Jim's Universal Carrier and the PTA Bren Gun Carrier to Cape May, along with the GPM Ursus truck and TK3 that I hope to build for next year's IPMC. In between birding, beach walking, writing two book reviews, building my on-line elective, and getting spun up to teach the next USAWC course, I hope to spend some time in the evenings struggling with these paper vehicles. If so, I will try to mount a Boyes AT rifle in the carrier, Charlie. I do not, however, anticipate trying to build a pyramid of troops in paper.

Will keep you informed.

Don
Old 11-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Charlie - Thanks for the additonal info on the suspension systems. I've always liked the look of the Vickers light tanks and would love to see them available in paper. And do you remember the Dinky cast metal Vickers Mk. II medium?

Mike - I was thinking along the same lines for the springs.
Don
Sorry no - I remember the Dinky toys but I don't think I ever saw the tank.

If you're winding your own springs from copper wire you can get much better results by annealing the copper. To anneal copper heat it to red hot and plunge it into cold water. The difference this makes when you're winding springs is really worth it. Annealing also gets rid of the coating found on most copper wire so it's easier to paint/colour the wire.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
This is the universal carrier as I built it with the detailed suspension.
The real model looks much better than the close up picture.

I was impressed by the snug fit of the track over the suspension.
The track is glued to the suspension at one point only but the fit is so tight that glue was not really necessary.

The gun port in front was cut out so that a Boys antitank rifle or Bren gun can be installed in the future.

I still need to touch up the edges with olive drab or dark grey paint.
There is a lot of white showing inside the driver's compartment which should be touched up with olive drab paint.

The detail parts have not been attached yet but the vehicle could be used in a game as is.

The only part that caused me trouble was #6 because I did not know what to do with the white spot.
I put the white spot in back behind the tool box which did not work well because the tool box is too short to cover the white spot completely.

At any rate, this is a very valuable addition to the collection of 1/72 vehicles.
The 1/76 scale Airfix Bren Carrier is really slightly small for a 1/72 scale game.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 PM

This is the picture that was supposed to be part of my last post.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Charlie -- Thanks for the additional advice. I had forgotten about the anealing process, which would also solve my problem of painting the antenna and engine compartment railing. The Dinky Medium Tank was apparently issued in 1937 as Catalogue No. 151a-G. I have only ever seen the model once, in 1959, when I visited a college friend in Toronto. His brother had a nice collection of Dinky military models, including the Medium. You can see a photo of it at Christian Boland's on-line gallery of his collection welcome to the dinky toys collection of Christiaan Boland. See also 151-G, the Medium Tank set, which includes a six-wheeled lorry (called a "covered wagon" by Dinky) and support trailers. There was also a Light Tank and Light Tank Set, which are also pictured at the Boland site.

Ken -- I like your "advanced" version and have noted your comments to help my in my next build. You are correct about the white areas inside the driver's compartment. I didn't realize this until I had completed the build and then tried to paint it with my Neocolor slurry. For the next one, I will either paint that are in advance, or print out an additional copy on bond paper and laminate some olive drab. I think the white are on Part 6 is where the storage box (Part 11) attaches.

Looking at the photos of my attempt, I can see that my bad habit of scoring lines from the front did not serve me well in this build. I will use the "scoring ont he reverese side" methods set forth in another recent thread when I build the next one. I also will try Kevin Stephens's layering technique.

Jim: Your Universal Carrier has obviously made some friends. We do recommend that if you make any future modifications, you add some material to cover the lower inside of the driver's compartment. Also, on the simple version, is the right (off, or starboard) side undercarriage printed backwards, or was that my error?

Don
Old 11-21-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
If you're winding your own springs from copper wire you can get much better results by annealing the copper. To anneal copper heat it to red hot and plunge it into cold water. The difference this makes when you're winding springs is really worth it. Annealing also gets rid of the coating found on most copper wire so it's easier to paint/colour the wire.
Great tip!!

Thanks Charlie.

Mike
Old 11-21-2009, 02:23 PM

Don,

You did a nice job of covering up your score lines.
I think that any fold will show some white regardless of scoring on the back or front.

I use a small, cheap, very dull, stainless-steel pocket knife for scoring.
The knife will not hold an edge but is perfect for scoring.
The cardboard back from a legal size paper tablet is under the cardstock when I score.
Thus, the cardstock is indented but not cut when scored.

After looking at the quickbuild PDF, it does appear that there are two left sides for the suspension.

It should be easy to copy the part and make a mirror image in your favorite graphics program, i.e. Gimp, Paint, etc.

As a quick and dirty experiment, I copied the part, pasted it into Paint, and did a flip/rotate in Paint and got a mirror image.
Of course, getting it to print at the correct size may be harder.

Ken

Last edited by Zakopious; 11-21-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Google Adsense