PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 10-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to jmodule
Universal Carrier in 1:72

I had been looking around the web for a Universal Carrier paper model, but without luck. In the meantime I was trying to learn Wings3d to begin designing small scale paper models. I knew of a few scratch-built carriers on the web, one plastic, and one in paper. But neither had released plans to be able duplicate their work. When I found a 3-view drawing of the Universal Carrier, I decided it would be good practice to design it as a paper model myself.

My preferred scale is 1:72, and I'm working with the assumption that a certain amount of detail is better left as printed texture. I used both pictures of the real thing and scale models as references for drawing the details on the model. It was important to me that I keep the design simple enough to fold in paper, while showing the distinct features of the vehicle.

Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc_design.jpg

It took me four or five tries going between Wings3d and the unfolding software, Pepakura, before I had a design that looked nice and unfolded correctly. I ended up redrawing the hull and driver's compartment a number of times, going from too complex to very simple and then adding back some complexity to the shape once I understood how Pepakura interpreted it. The suspension was simplified and the wheels were made unnaturally wide so they could be glued directly to the hull and stand up to handling.

The first two builds were made with regular copy paper. It was helpful in figuring out where the mistakes were and what could be improved. The second time I redid the suspension halfway through and so some of the road wheels are of the new style.

Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc_test_20090929_t.jpg

The next step was to improve the textures and see if the dimensions would work with the thickness of card stock. I also printed in color to get a better feel for how the finished model would look. Although I've gone back and redesigned some parts, I'm pretty happy with the overall look.

Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc_test_20091003_t.jpg

Comments and constructive critiques welcome.

--
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Carrier in 1:72-dsc_9914s.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Very nicely done!

Ryan
Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
That came out pretty well - you've got the base for a whole raft of different vehicles. If I may make a suggestion - the carriers had a radiator grill in the centre of the driver/gunner's compartment - doesn't look as if would be too hard to add that.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 10-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
excellent work! thanks for sharing it with us
Chris
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
The Universal Carrier looks great.

I use my 1:72 scale papermodels in wargames.

Glad to see another paper vehicle designed and built.

Ken
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to jmodule
Another Test Build

I've been working on the graphics/textures and redesigning a few parts.

First off, I thought I would try to make a solid suspension piece, sort of a quick build version and to make it easier to scale down to 1/100 for those who might be interested when the design is finished.

Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc_tracks_20091009.jpg

I also changed the overall color to match the darker green you see in museum pieces. I'm not sure how historically accurate it is, but I think it's closer to being an authentic color now.

Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc_compare_20091009.jpg

I've been surprised how difficult it is to find a picture of the interior (at least without buying a book dedicated to these vehicles). A lot of the walk-around pictures are of the outside at eye-level, and none are from above. But I think I've improved the look of the interior compared to the previous test build.

Universal Carrier in 1:72-uc_test_20091009.jpg
Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

I hate to use the Plastic word, but Tamiya used to make a beautiful "Universal "Bren Gun" Carrier" that I once built. You interior looks pretty good. I wish I had the model still, but alas I gave it to a friend.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodule View Post

I've been surprised how difficult it is to find a picture of the interior (at least without buying a book dedicated to these vehicles). A lot of the walk-around pictures are of the outside at eye-level, and none are from above. But I think I've improved the look of the interior compared to the previous test build.
The walkarounds of the Universal Carrier at www.primeportal.net have a number of interior shots.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 PM

can we get these anywhere?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Ju52.

Jmodule, the designer is still working on the model, and i believe that he will let us know how he intends to distribute the model, if at all

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense