PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Nearly the Same

The render below is the result of tedious tweaking to a former that lies behind the chin intake. It's an important transition between the circular cross section of the nose (spinner) to the more rectangular section of the fuselage.

+Gil

Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
That indeed looks a lot better.

Ryan
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Fantastic research and detail. I watched ( take as "ran") when a a Bullard Havens Vertical Lathe with a 6' bed sparked ( when the coolant fluid feed clogged ) on the cutting tool while machining the Magnesium transmission housing of a CH53E at Sikorsky Aircraft. The 18 foot or so high machine bent in half and the bed was welded to the rest of the machine. Needless to say we went home early that night. My friend was almost fired but then the whole coolant system for the rest of the machines were modified to have multiple feeds, and of course, we were Teamsters.

Magnesium makes a great anode for fresh water boats.

The render is fantastic. Was that done using Raytracing?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 PM

Answerback

At times it began to feel like I was working on a Spitfire which isn't that far fetched as both designers were faced with how to house and streamline a V-12 Merlin engine up front. I'm sure the designer, Edgar Schmued, was more than a little aware of the Spitfire.

The render is ray traced but notice that their are only two items in the scene the spinner and the nose sheet metal that reflect a "mirror ball" which surrounds the subject (the render engine does this) to add illumination and provide a source image for the reflected rays. Doing it this way results in very fast render times.

+Gil
Old 12-10-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I'm sure the designer, Edgar Schmued, was more than a little aware of the Spitfire.
No doubt, but it was Ed Horkey Jr, chief aerodynamicist at NAA, who had a lot to do with massaging the lines when they switched to the Merlin. His work with a collegue, Irvine Ashkenas, ironed out a lot of the kinks, particulary the ventral radiator inlet.

The second render looks good Gil.

Mike
Old 12-14-2009, 12:28 PM

Fuselage Lofting

I've come to the conclusion that using cross sections from any source is absolutely, and beyond the shadow of any doubt the most annal form of self inflicted torture that one can even begin to ponder. 'Nuff said . . . ,

Now for something completely different. Having messed so long with Rhino in doing fuselage lofts the wrong way I began thinking that I must not be the only idiot in the asylum (This is one of the surer signs that one is making progress). A little searching about the internet revealed that their are others in the very same asylum messing with the very same problem! The screen capture below shows the result of this revelation. It's missing the ventral doghouse which will be added later.

The fact that the "surface" can now be systematically "controlled and manipulated" by edit points all thanks to Rhino (just cannot give this software enough respect).

+Gil

Old 12-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

I hope to achieve that level in Rhino, only problem is at my age there aren't enough years left. I also have noticed some problems with cross sections, especially when they were hand drawn and the lines are so thick you have to make a decision as to whether you go on the inside, or the outside. In Rhino some of these "Background Bitmaps" look like they were drawn using Crayons.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Well I had it in the back of my mind that one day I wanted to do the mustang myself since I wasn't truly happy with any of the ones I knew about currently on the market but it looks like there won't be any need. That Pa-48 Enforcer has kind of caught my attention though. Maybe I'll do it when I'm done with the Ultrabolt and Super Corsair repaint. Looks good Gil can't wait to see the final product.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 12-14-2009, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Gil,
Looks extremely interesting!
If you are looking for the color scheme, please consider "The Flying Undertaker" flown by Will Shomo (yeah, I know, I always say that :D)
Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 AM

Tutorial?

I can't believe the fact that you guys missed the most obvious piece of news since sliced bread. The method shown is directed toward the aspiring designer who desires to improve their skills beyond "tube socks stuffed with boat anchors" (an apt description of my former skills). The fuselage shown above consists of three drawn lines, the rest consists of simple cheap thrill rhino tricks! What's more I didn't have to draw a single cross section!

Any interest?

Tongue in Cheek, +Gil
Google Adsense