PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
BGM-109 Cruise Missile

I have been thinking about a good Cruise Missile model for quite a while. I found Rizky Ferriansyah's 1:22 scale kit at various sites and Fiddler's Green excellent renditions at 1:22 scale, with a reasonably good history. But something was missing and I found it when I unearthed one of my boxes in my basement from the 80's. (Think of the Government Warehouse at the end of the Indiana Jones movie, that is what my basement looks like.) In it was an unfinished paper model kit we had designed of the Cruise Missile from the good old McDonnell Douglas Astronautics - St. Louis days. It was hand drawn and compares well with techniques from today. I decided to resurrect it and add a little more detail to it. Of course, I had to try building a computer model of it as well and check how the hand drawn stacks up.
Attached Thumbnails
BGM-109 Cruise Missile-wireframe.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-wireframe1.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-wireframe2.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-wireframe3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 PM

Now this is a prototype design and is generic. The actual dimensions change on the missile depending on the mission type. I haven't really used Pepakura very much, so this will be a good experience. Any comments, user's hints or tips will be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dev1.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dev2.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dev3.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Where would we be without basements or garages like the Government Warehouse at the end of raider of the Lost Ark...one day I'll finish unpacking and organising mine and that will be a sad day, I think, one place less in which to sally forth and adventure and explore...

In the meantime, your cruise missile is looking good...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 68.38 MB
[QUOTE=SJPONeill;137052]Where would we be without basements or garages like the Government Warehouse at the end of raider of the Lost Ark...one day I'll finish unpacking and organising mine and that will be a sad day, I think, one place less in which to sally forth and adventure and explore...QUOTE]

Then it will be time to pack and move and then you'll find all the things you put in a safe place and forgot you had.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 68.38 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspacemike View Post
I.....from the good old McDonnell Douglas Astronautics - St. Louis days. ......
Don't for get Titusville. Waiting for a download. It will sit on my desk at work.
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 PM

Coot59:

Can't forget the Missile Production Facility (MPF-GLCM) at Titusville. I had many friends there. Also several at General Dynamics, Boeing, Davis-Monthan AFB, Dugway, Building 500, etc..... Building 500 was very interesting to work in. Father-in-law worked there for many years before I came around, and everyone knew of me when I showed up. Eerie feeling.

So far ran off a test template figuring what is working and what is not. Will decide on markings as I go, but standard ghost grey or two tone was first choice. Most pics show test firings with red or military branch announcements written on them.

I have a couple of early shots showing what I have at the moment. I will have to clear up my clutter of course. (Lost my Den upstairs due to house guests staying over and now I have become the Basement Engineer, which is not a bad thing. Gives me more time to peruse the other boxes and find more goodies.)
Attached Thumbnails
BGM-109 Cruise Missile-0711002040.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-0711002043.jpg  
Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 PM

Getting more together now. Main body and tail are done and have just the inlet to work on now. Designed a stand for it so that it can be properly displayed. This is still a prototype.

Coot59 - I hope you have room on your desk!
Attached Thumbnails
BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0220.jpg  
Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Starting to look good. Its a nice size.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 AM

Finished the first prototype. The inlet area is a bit complex, but I can see where it needs to be simplified. Yes, B-Maniac, it will be a good size. I'm doing it more for a display rather than to scale of another kit. The following pictures shows it together.
Attached Thumbnails
BGM-109 Cruise Missile-cm1.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-fullmodel.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
I designed the fiddlers green one. As an afterthought I put the fedex livery on it. Thats the one most people liked the best. I must say I really like your model.
Google Adsense

Tags
bgm-109, cruise missile