PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 12-06-2009, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
1:32 Regulus

A couple of people suggested this one, so here goes. So far represents about half an hour of work. Got some nice drawings and plenty of good reference pics. I think this one would be really fun to print on glossy cardstock. Also makes a nice change of pace for me after all the big rockets and ships I've been doing lately a nice simple project is just the thing.
Attached Thumbnails
1:32 Regulus-ssm-n-8a-regulus.jpg  

[email protected]
Google Adsense
Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
That'll be an impressive model in 1:32!

Glad to see you back.

Wyvern
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Thanks Wyvern, it's nice to be back designing again. Not that I ever really stopped! Just slowed down a bit.

[email protected]
Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I'm looking forward to seeing this one take shape. Are you going to include a launcher?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Are you going to include a launcher?
Something like the USS Growler or Grayback...?
Google Adsense
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Wow! You must not have a love interest to have so much time to devote to the whims of your devoted followers!

I can't wait to see this one!

Will the model have internal bulkheads and longerons? If not, is it possible to add a pdf 3-view in scale for those of us who would like an internal structure?

What do you want for Christmas?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Updated, got the intake area finished, wingtips and tail on. I will be doing some sort of launcher, possibly like the one on display at the Air&Space museum's Udvar-Hazey center. Looks simple enough to design and shouldn't be too hard to build either. I WOULD like to do Growler and Grayback, but perhaps a wee bit smaller than 1:32 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
Wow! You must not have a love interest to have so much time to devote to the whims of your devoted followers!

I can't wait to see this one!

Will the model have internal bulkheads and longerons? If not, is it possible to add a pdf 3-view in scale for those of us who would like an internal structure?

What do you want for Christmas?
1. Truer than you'd ever know... :D

2. Thanks, glad you're excited!

3. There will be an internal structure of some sort, haven't figured out exactly what kind yet. Bulkheads at least, possibly some sort of stringer/frame assembly. I'll have to do a couple of test builds as see what works and what doesn't. Of course, if you'd like to do a test build or two, you're welcome to it! I'm more used to ships/rockets and am still figuring out this winged-thingy business. I can and probably will include a 3-view no matter what.

4. a car?? :D

Now, question time. Looking at my reference photos, it seems that in most photos of operation Regulus missiles, the body of the missile is smooth and glossy with no rivets/seams apparent. However, looking at photos of the Regulus on display at the Air & Space in VA, you can clearly see rivets all over the place. Obviously, the quality of the photos is better, but also perhaps it isn't maintained as frequently as is by this point 50+ years old. Also, looking at photos of the Regulus on display aboard Growler, there are some rivets visible on the back end of the missile, but not some many on the wings and nose end. So my question is, is it worth it to add rivets? Or is better (and maybe more accurate) to portray the fuselage as a smooth surface? Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
1:32 Regulus-ssm-n-8a-regulus-1.jpg   1:32 Regulus-23277037.pict2392.jpg   1:32 Regulus-2908280699_5fba240d5c_o.jpg   1:32 Regulus-regulus4.jpg  

[email protected]
Old 12-09-2009, 05:09 PM

From a purely artistic point of view, I say add the rivets. Paper models, to an even greater extent than other media, rely on the impression of greater surface detail than may actually exist.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APA-168 View Post
4. a car?? :D
So, it's car you want? Please PM your shipping address to me. I'll take care of it. Just call me Santa Chuck!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APA-168 View Post
So my question is, is it worth it to add rivets? Or is better (and maybe more accurate) to portray the fuselage as a smooth surface? Opinions?
if you are going to add rivets, be restrained. I prefer that you do not add them at all. Remember that in 1/32 scale, the model simulates a viewer's experience from dozens of feet away. I would have to have the exact size of the real/scale article to do the calculation. But.....

The short story is this: You have to be very close to an airplane to see the rivet detail unless they are of the raised variety. We usually see rivets on museum aircraft because the small imperfections caused by the riveting process act as reflectors for camera flashes. If you don't believe me, compare images of the same aircraft at a similar distance shot outdoors under natural light and indoors with flash.

Also, air vehicles do not have black lines wrapped around them. If you want to do panel lines, thin lines in shades of grey are appropriate as long as they do not diverge greatly from the overall contrast of the finish. Therefore, white lines are as inappropriate on a dark finish as black lines are on a light finish.