PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Transformers Animated Wreck-Gar

Yet another design thread from me:D

I wanted to make all of the characters from the Transformers Animated cartoon, decided to start with my favorite character, Wreck-Gar. When I first saw this cartoon I wasn't sure what to think, at first I didn't like it cause it just felt too different from the G1 series, but it grew on me after a while. I plan on making the robot mode and vehicle mode for each character that I make(no transformations) as proper reference allows. First the robot mode for Wreck-Gar! In the pic he hasn't been posed yet, so let me know what you guys think, see anything that can be simplified with out changing the silhouette too much, suggestions to better the design, I'm all ears

Attached Thumbnails
Transformers Animated Wreck-Gar-wreck-gar-test-model.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-07-2010, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Great start Grizley :D

For the pose how about designing it as a free pose kit. Meaning make the full parts minus actual joints and then they can be assembled in what ever pose the builder wants And of course sick monkeys will most likely "add" joints to it :P

However moving pape rkits tend to get really floppy fast and though cool transforming ones are worse. Designing each mode specific is the way to go IMO.

G1
Old 03-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Hey G1, thanks for posting. For a free pose design do you mean something like what is in the pic? It's just a bunch of fairly simple shapes stacked on to each other. I think if I make a L shaped upper arm for both sides as an extra option it should allow it to be fairly flexible as far as basic posing goes. Did you have something like that in mind? Again I'm all ears, I have no problem with changing some stuff at this point cause I haven't laid out the UV's yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Transformers Animated Wreck-Gar-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Hey Griz,

The difference in Free pose and fixed pose is how the seperate parts are shaped.

In a fixed pose you would have the parts shaped so that they would only fit in the intended pose and none other. They tend to be angled quite a bit for dynamic poses.

In free pose you make the parts "normal" as if they would be jointed. Meaning they are symetrical to each other as typicaly as if it were standing at attention. Not enginering joints into the parts means they can be glued together at any pose desired.

Attached a pic of a resin fixed pose kit. See how the upper body is tilted up on one side and the legs are angled with the feet in a specific pose. This model cannot be assembled in any other pose since the parts are angled for one particular pose. The model you have shown is symetrical therefore perfect for a free pose kit. For knees and elbows you could make a semi circular "joint" and a reverse cut out of sorts in the forearm or lower leg so those parts can be glued on at any desired angle.

Hope that makes sense :P

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Transformers Animated Wreck-Gar-03070001.jpg   Transformers Animated Wreck-Gar-03070002.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter 1 View Post
Hey Griz,

The difference in Free pose and fixed pose is how the seperate parts are shaped.

In a fixed pose you would have the parts shaped so that they would only fit in the intended pose and none other. They tend to be angled quite a bit for dynamic poses.

In free pose you make the parts "normal" as if they would be jointed. Meaning they are symetrical to each other as typicaly as if it were standing at attention. Not enginering joints into the parts means they can be glued together at any pose desired.

Attached a pic of a resin fixed pose kit. See how the upper body is tilted up on one side and the legs are angled with the feet in a specific pose. This model cannot be assembled in any other pose since the parts are angled for one particular pose. The model you have shown is symetrical therefore perfect for a free pose kit. For knees and elbows you could make a semi circular "joint" and a reverse cut out of sorts in the forearm or lower leg so those parts can be glued on at any desired angle.

Hope that makes sense :P

G1

Okay, I thought that was what you meant but wanted to be certain. As far as designing moving joints into it, I'm not sure I could design joints and keep the build simple. I had tried a simple pose on the model a few days ago and all that was modified was the elbow, I just rotated and angled the whole forearm and hand, the shape itself wasn't modified. So released even in that pose it would still be able to be modified with joints if the builder wanted to, I will just include both of the standard elbows in with the files I think.

Google Adsense
Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 PM

Finally got some time to get Wreckgar test built. Overall I was happy with the build except for a few flap positions that need changed and a few parts unfold need rearranged.

Ended up being 10" tall and it standed on its own surprisingly well without any need for weights or a stand. All the scribbles on the test build is just my note taking as I build it so I can remember what needs fixed, also I made an Autobot and Decepticon logo cause Wreckgar can't seem to decide which side he's on so I figured I'd let the builder decide for him

Picture of the toy for reference

Last edited by Grizley; 03-31-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Awesome, don't know who felt the need to rate this thread a 1 star, but thanks for that Rather than be a coward troll and rate the thread low why not chime in and say what it is you dislike about the model? I'm sure it got a low rating cause it's not an airplane or a train:p
Old 04-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizley View Post
Awesome, don't know who felt the need to rate this thread a 1 star, but thanks for that Rather than be a coward troll and rate the thread low why not chime in and say what it is you dislike about the model? I'm sure it got a low rating cause it's not an airplane or a train:p
The rating system is messed up somehow. I just tried to look at the rating and it's saying I rated it as 1 star - but I've never visited this thread before. Don't worry about it.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
Dansls1, only 1 member of the forum has voted, but it also says I already voted on the thread, so me and you make 2!!

Great progress on the model Grizley.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 AM

For the one or two people who are interested :p I made a little progress this morning on the textures for Wreckgar. So far I have the base colors laid down and started to add in some details, so these are far from being done. Can't decide whether to ditch the textures and build it with some sparkle cardstock, I'm liking these (mostly Gundams) models built with that paper more and more every day. Maybe I'll order a sample pack and test it out hmmmmm.
Attached Thumbnails
Transformers Animated Wreck-Gar-wreckgar-wip.jpg  
Google Adsense