PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   Design Threads (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/design-threads/)
-   -   USS Texas BB 35 (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/design-threads/8631-uss-texas-bb-35-a.html)

Darwin 06-04-2010 11:48 AM

USS Texas BB 35

2 Attachment(s)
I'm using this posting to mark my territory regarding the clamor from a small few to produce a detailed model of the USS Texas. Seeing as how I still have a lot to do finishing up the Colorado, I imagine this thread is going to go slow. I've assembled my team for assisting in the effort, even though at least one of them doesn't know yet that he is on it. Ryan Short and Jim Krazulis are assigned technical support positions, and Boats will take on the beta build whenever I manage to get it to that stage. I still need someone who is a skilled old-school designer (non-3d) to advise with some of the trickier stuff, like figuring out cutting the old casemates into the hull side. In a larger sense, I'm hoping that all of you are on board, and will use this thread to provide your input. In order to prove that the project is actually started (and to fill in the time while waiting for the postman to deliver the new super-hootie daylight bulb I had to order for my building lamp), I have the first cut at the deck done. For the person worrying about that kind of thing, I will do a "deck gray" wartime version of the deck as well.

Attachment 47165Attachment 47166

The deck bmp file is about 90 Meg, and the jpg at medium quality setting is still on the order of 4 Meg. Trying to attach an image in a manner that still does it justice is a challenge, to say the least.

RyanShort 06-04-2010 04:12 PM

Looking beautiful already. No need to rush - I doubt a pl@$%!( model company will beat you to it!

Ryan

eibwarrior 06-04-2010 06:33 PM

Wow Darwin. I know someone who'll be really happy. Jim K. is going to freak out!

I may be a close second.

mchale 06-04-2010 06:41 PM

Cool can't wait

bagpiper 06-04-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchale (Post 127756)
Cool can't wait

Me neither. Very nice to see you Mchale.

Cheers
Jim

jimkrauzlis 06-04-2010 07:02 PM

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!YESSSSS!!!

Oh,..er..,excuse me...hrmph..., eh, yeah, that's great news, Darwin. :D

Seriously, that is an excellent start, great deck detail...you do work fast!

I was getting so desperate to have this ship in paper I was studying a set of plans and fretting over how the heck I would even start with designing such a model...made an unGodly mess using Metaseq...now that's sad.

The old casemates occupied a bit of time to visualize how that might be accomplished. I would imagine you may want to have the gun on a swivel recessed behind the hull sides, perhaps supported by a platform that sits ontop of a cut out in the framing; lining up the hole in the hull sides would be a bit of a challenge to ensure they match with the platform and casemate, but I don't see that as too much of a problem given your designing skills.

I have the impression the forward most casemates sit a bit higher than the remaining casemates, but that could just be my old eyes in studying the plans. The shape of the hull sides in and around those casemates also seem to have a very interesting run, with the recessed sides joining up with the lower sides with a bit of forward dip for the forward three casemates...again, could just be my eyes, but my plan set suggests a somewhat more comlex shape than a simple indent in the sides.

I am very much looking forward to seeing this project progress and hope everyone, particularly those with more familiarity with this ship, help out along the way.

Yep, I'm elated!!:) Just made my horrible day end on a high note!

Great to see you here, Mchale!

Cheers!
Jim

mchale 06-04-2010 07:12 PM

Is this going to be a freebee
If not can I do a betab build of it

Darwin 06-04-2010 11:42 PM

Jim, I suspect you are right about the original casemate positions. After doing considerable attempting to match up drawings with hull photos, it looks as if the six forward 5/51 guns were mounted on the halfdeck, and the after 5/51s were mounted on the second deck....so, the casemate cutouts are at different levels, as you indicated. In the forward end of the ship, it appears as if the casemate cutouts angled downward toward the bow...perhaps to allow the guns to be depressed below the horizon? Making things considerably more complicated, the top of the torpedo bulges also change levels. Near the bow, it looks as if the top of the bulge is at the level of the second deck. Aft of the second casemate, the bulge rises (in a slant) up to the half deck level, just forward of the original 3rd casemate position. Then, it steps back down to the second deck level, just forward of the sixth casemate position. The cutouts for the after casemates appear not to slope downward. Maybe because they sat lower than the forward guns, they didn't need to have the abilitly to be depressed below the horizon? All things considered, I think it might be easier to build if the formers are designed to the original hull outlines, and the bulges added on after the hull is skinned, essentially repeating the actual evolution of the ship. I've just about convinced myself that the hull cross-sections in the Historic Naval Ship drawings are all but useless.... I may have to resort to trying to develop the former outlines from a dimensional analysis of the various deck level drawings. Not a pleasing thought. In short, this hull is going to be a real wildcat to try to tame if I don't resort to some "simplifications."

eibwarrior 06-08-2010 09:14 AM

Some reference

Darwin,

I ran across this 1/350 resin beauty on modelwarships.com. Done in 1942 fit. I know it may not hit the exact time you want to represent, but some of these close ups may provide good reference.

M o d e l W a r s h i p s . c o m - G a l l e r y

Here's the profile view:
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall.../db-bb35-1.jpg
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall.../db-bb35-5.jpg

jimkrauzlis 11-29-2010 04:05 PM

Just wondering what has happened to this idea...anyone progressed on a design of a ship model?

I meanwhile acquired a copy of Warship Pictorial 4 on USS Texas, provides a very nice set of drawings and photos, some in color. Oh, if I only had the talent, time and know how, this would be a wonderful project!

I hope someone is more fortunate than I on this....

Cheers!
Jim