PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Geometry - where's the dang hypotenuse?

So, after some more fiddling and the aforementioned trip to the Eglin museum the launcher parts are done.

Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch14.jpg

Getting the geometry for the erector linkage was a bit easier once I had a good look at Eglin's erector/launch rail. The hydraulic cylinder pulls on the linkage to raise the missile rail. The cylinder does not pivot on its end so the actual pivot assembly required a bit of bashing - I rolled a slightly larger cylinder, cut through it, then slipped the hydraulic cylinder into place.

Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch31.jpg
Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch29.jpg

Making moveable parts and a slip-cylinder for the hydraulics that's stiff enough to hold the rail in position requires a bit of reinforcement. Lot's of fiber was the choice here ...

Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch12.jpg

Other than the pivots and cylinder, the launcher is just boxes. The only challenge was to make the connections robust and self-aligning. The aft rail section is made with two side plates connected by fully overlapping top, bottom, and end pieces. Front rail glues inside.

Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch13.jpg

A fully operational display laucher will require one more modification to the missile nose clamp. Bomarc launched on its tail and not by sliding along the launcher rail. The nose clamps must release to allow the missile to stand on its tail on the aft ring while the launcher drops about 10-15 degrees away from the missile.

Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch30.jpg

This would require making another copy of the nose clamp part, cutting away the clamps from one and leaving space in the laminations to slip the clamps from the second part inside the space on a pivot. This one should end up static in a case, so I didn't fiddle with it.

Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch33.jpg

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Up grades

Dear Yogi:
Had to go to two more Home Depots (big hardware store in USA) to find all of the secd.40 pipe fixtures to finish the stomp launcher. On first launch about 40 Deg. got a 97 ft. flight of the Bombroc!!!!! I am trying to extend the life of the nose cone by coating with clear nail polish. I will let every one know how this works in the next day off. The 9 year old daughter wants one in PINK. I'm taking pictures having to fight the computer to get them into the computer. Sofar Computer 3, Miles 0.
Too Much Fun, Thanks,
Miles
Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Eternal Member

Make more (extra) nosecones (don't ask me how I know this) ... and you're welcome to repaint as required (use pink paper? or just overspray with pink Krylon might be quicker).
Yogi
Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Eternal Member

I think it's done ...

Next up is another trip out to the Eglin Armament Museum to see if they'd like this one. The rest of the battery (simple versions and prototypes) likely won't survive the workshop I'm doing Friday morning at the Emerald Coast Science Center (9-11 year old science camp).

Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch26.jpg

Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch22.jpg

Bomarc (stomp) Missile with optional display detail-blaunch24.jpg

Yogi
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Updated on eCardmodels?

Just bought it yesterday, but not downloaded yet. Does it have all the erector/launcher included? Thanks!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Eternal Member

Robert - erector/launcher will be sent to Chris as soon as the instructions are proofed. I decided it would be a better model than a puzzle. It'll be a freebie to go with the detailed Bomarc.
Yogi
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Outstanding!

Thanks, Yogi.
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Eternal Member

Canadian Forces Repaint??

Quote:
Originally Posted by avro202 View Post
We had a couple of wings of those up here in Canada too. Here is a pic of one I took last year at the Canadian Aviation Museum in Ottawa.
So, how much interest in doing a Canadian Air Force repaint in the B-model configuration (wings and engines moved forward a bit - model will definitely require more nose weight for a flying version)? The original deployment did bring down the government up north (nuclear warhead issue so Bomarc may have been Canada's first - and only? - nuclear missile).

Yogi (still need to see what the bottom wing insignia looked like)
Old 07-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Eternal Member

OK, the detailed Bomarc and the launcher are both up at Ecardmodels. Launcher is a freebie to go with the missile.

Yogi
(listening to the silence of the great white north - no Canadian repaint needed?)
Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm not up "North" (I'm North from you!) but I'd be up for a "B" in Canuck colors Yogi.

It appears the upper wing had insignia only, while lower wing only had "RCAF" or "CAF" and indidiviual aircraft number. There were three schemes for the Canadian Bomarcs: "RCAF Silver Maple & Red Ensign", "RCAF New Leaf (mini) and Canadian Flag", and "CAF New Leaf & Canadian Flag":

CanMilAir Decals: Boeing CIM-10B Bomarc, Boeing CIM-10B Bomarc, 146

Mike

P.S. Started that certain related project for you Give me a couple of days.....

Last edited by Bomarc; 07-29-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Google Adsense