PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspacemike View Post
Finished the first prototype. The inlet area is a bit complex, but I can see where it needs to be simplified. Yes, B-Maniac, it will be a good size. I'm doing it more for a display rather than to scale of another kit. The following pictures shows it together.
Now we just need a AGM-86 to go with it.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.63 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
Now we just need a AGM-86 to go with it.
The original shovel nosed shark mouth painted. Not the newer blunt nosed variants.

Stefan Wulph
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Stefan,

You mean this one?

"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.63 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Stefan,

You mean this one?

That'd be the one, Rick.

Stefan Wulph
Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
I worked on both of these missiles while in the Air Force (along with the AGM-69A SRAM and AGM-129 ACM). I sure wish I would have thought about it at the time and made detailed measurements. LOTS of lost opportunities!

The model is looking good!

Best Regards,
Google Adsense
Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
AGM-86, hmmmmmmm. A few more compound curves, but not impossible. It would help in showing the relative sizes of each. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

I had a short break in designing this last week. I went to my Mother-in-law's funeral. This brought back many memories, for you see, she and I worked at McDonnell Douglas many years ago. She worked in The Vault. If you wanted a blueprint or set of drawings, she was the one that you would go to. There is also another area for photos, and this area is very hard to get to and order prints. Between the two, there would be a limitless supply of reference material that I wish I had today.

Back to the inlet problem that I was having. As you can see, the original design was very flat and boxy looking. The real article is curved and I wanted to show this on the model.

I did a little re-design in this area. Now there are two ways of going about this, by updating the original digital model, or by modifying the unfolded pieces. I decided to modify the pieces by using descriptive geometry. The pieces are now looking closer to what the original article has. This also brings up another question of other designers, how many use descriptive geometry to figure out the pieces in their design?

The last picture shows the piece that keeps the inlet away from the fuselage and wraps around the internal brace that I glued in. This I did all by hand and some quick calculations on the curvature of the cylinder and also accounting for the curvature of the inlet as well. It will take some more tweaks, but it is getting there.
Attached Thumbnails
BGM-109 Cruise Missile-real_inlet.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0244.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-new_intake_2.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0241.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0243.jpg  

BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0242.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-new_intake_1.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
Sorry for the wait, had several other activities take me away from modelling lately - namely a printer that refused to print (got it going again), but the color will need some work. Then the tv went on the fritz, and that is taking up the major portion of my time. Had to take the motherboard out of the set and replace some IC chips. Will see if it works in a day or so after checking the voltages and such.

Version two of the design for the inlet and aft is coming along. The fins have a pneumatic actuator that I drew on but I'm looking to do a quick representation of it. The engine section has areas with 'flat' sections that I was able to model - not too hard to do. I almost have all the access panels and sensors drawn in place. They change from mission to mission, so mine is somewhat generic right now.

And the fin hinge sketch is a bit rough, but I did this on a napkin during a break at work.
Attached Thumbnails
BGM-109 Cruise Missile-fin-hinge.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0246.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0245.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0247.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0248.jpg  

BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0249.jpg   BGM-109 Cruise Missile-dscn0250.jpg  

Tags
bgm-109, cruise missile