PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
In line with Paragon's suggestion, I've used PDFCreator (another virtual printer) and Pepakura Viewer to generate PDFs. PDFC is free and requires no registration (some users complain about how installation may, if one is not careful, change browser settings); it has worked flawlessly for me.
Regarding file size, you might want to play with PV's settings, like printing lines sharp vs. smooth. While editing PDFs I've noticed textures are included even for fully blank areas, although I guess that due to bitmap compression they don't add much to the file size.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
And a similar option is the DoPDF free utility. It's essentially a printer driver (installs as another printer on your system) that outputs a pdf file instead of a printed page. Since your computer sees DoPDF as just another printer, it should work with any of your software capable of printing. The resulting pdf can then be printed as desired (on your actual printer) from Adobe Acrobat (Acro Reader, the free one works fine).
I've used it to create all my pdf documents so far - only strange bit is the resulting file size, some have come out larger than the original file (usually PowerPoint/ppt) for no discernable reason.
Yogi
Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
I have used pepakura viewer 3 to open the pdo file and convert it using CutePdf as a PDF file then print it using your regular printer. Works great for me.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Regarding variable file sizes in output of virtual printers like PDFCreator and DoPDF, a possible cause is bitmap handling: the software may rescale them to a different resolution, or expand then recompress with a different algorithm. I wish I had more control about it - for instance, using a lossless internal format, because I often edit the resulting PDF.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I found your thread, Paragon, and followed your instructions. The file conversion was very simple, but I notice that the resolution of the jpeg file is not nearly as good as the PDO. Any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
I found your thread, Paragon, and followed your instructions. The file conversion was very simple, but I notice that the resolution of the jpeg file is not nearly as good as the PDO. Any suggestions?

Nevermind; I solved the problem myself. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
If all the people who model in Pepakura would enable "Copy Development to Clipboard", this would enable easy transfer of all .PDO models to whatever format you choose. I open Paint, then click "Paste", and the picture appears. I use Photoshop CS3 to put the picture and or parts arranged the way I want them.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to convert PDO to PDF ?-pdo.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
If all the people who model in Pepakura would enable "Copy Development to Clipboard", this would enable easy transfer of all .PDO models to whatever format you choose. I open Paint, then click "Paste", and the picture appears. I use Photoshop CS3 to put the picture and or parts arranged the way I want them.
I agree with Zathros. I think this is the best and the most easy way to do this job.The picture i show here is a PDO file and i copy first to the "clipboard" (here you can choose the wanted resolution)and then i paste it as a new image in paintshop-pro. Then save it as a JPG file.After this all you can change it in a PDF file.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to convert PDO to PDF ?-phantom2copy.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
There are ways around the locked pepakura files.
Incidentally, it's a pity pepakura doesn't have a better "size of opening(after folded)", as it is the parts are scaled downwards to increase the opening, if they were sent along the vector from the model center to the part center instead, you would have an instant exploded view... for instructions.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex34 View Post
There are ways around the locked pepakura files.
Incidentally, it's a pity pepakura doesn't have a better "size of opening(after folded)", as it is the parts are scaled downwards to increase the opening, if they were sent along the vector from the model center to the part center instead, you would have an instant exploded view... for instructions.
So what's the work around? I do have a functioning P.M., Please, with sugar on top?
Google Adsense