PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Paper Weights in Designs?

If this is too much of a problem or the wrong place in the forum, my apologies. When we see the card weight in designs such as Mischa"s LUT or any other digitally offered design I wonder if it would be too much trouble to call out not just the paper weight but also the nominal thickness of the specified stock. This could be a potential help to builders who are re-scaling. And yes I have a link to a paper weight equivilant site. The thing is I am currently working on the free download of the #9 Swing Arm from Misch's LUT re-scaled to 1/72nd*. The Hinge Assembly calls for 300 gram stock. I was able to find some 300 gram stock ASW - Canson Colorline Paper 300gsm The stock is made in France so I figured no problem. But when I check on the thickness listed for 300 gsm stock at Paper Weight - Conversion Chart I find it to be .014"/.36mm thick at nominal size. The 300 gsm Canson is closer to .018/.45mm. The reason for the concern is that when re-scaling parts that are built up of multiple pieces as in the Hinge Assembly you also have to increase the thickness of the part either through heavier stock or extra layers. What I am trying to avoid is potential fit problems.

*And have had several false starts and things go wrong
Google Adsense
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Ok the link for the paper weight conversion chart has some errors. I lost the link to international paper, but they have much better charts/tables.

The 300 gsm is the only one I would use, unless you go to the paper manufacturer's web site and verify the thickness of the paper. The GSM stands for grams per square meter, it is the only common measurement (does not use a basis sheet size) but actual weight of the square meter of paper. This weight is for regular paper/cardstock.

Glossy cardstock or commonly called coated cardstock has a clay coating that weighs more than just plain cardstock. This will effect the thickness when compared to just paper types.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 12-20-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Forogot to mention glossy cardstock.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
As a publisher myself (series Paper Trade and Zeist Bouwplaten, www.zeistbouwplaten.nl), I have spent some time with my (professional) printers to discuss types of paper. I have come to prefer the non-coated variety. One sided coating gives a slightly glossy effect, which may not Always be appropriate.
A serious disadvantage of doublesided coating is that it makes the paper very noticably harder, and therefore more difficult to work with. Especially smaller curves become a problem.
I take evry opportunity to point readers to my photo collection on Flickr: New Photo Collection, via www.zeistbouwplaten.nl's Photostream . Over 2000 pictures of paper models so far. Do contact me if you would like to contribute - you are more than welcome!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Diderick those photos of the boat that you have of it been built and that one that is on water, is that all made from paper?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 106.24 MB
Some beautiful models on your site there, Diderick.
Groetjes vanuit Almere!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:35 AM

Mark.

I recognize your problem and agree that thickness of paper or card stock is key.
During the design phase I am always aware of paper thickness. Most of the time I use 160 grams paper with a thickness of around .2 mm. When rescaling and publishing in a different scale I mention the appropriate paper weight to be used (e.g. The petrol pump) or I redesign the part (e.g. The rail section). Redesigning gives me also the oppertunity to change the level of detail so the design can still be build by most of the people (including myself ). Examples on www.schaalbouw.nl

Edward