PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Aircraft Prototype Colors?

Working on a project, which deals with the North American Aviation Bid to build the X-15 Rocket Plane.

The NAA design was chosen, the Republic Aircraft and Bell designs were not chosen.

I need the colors the two designs would have used if they won the bidding.

Republic's entry was the AP-76
Bell's entry was the D-171. (possibly could be orange-does anyone know for sure?)

Anyone know which color to use? You would think black, but the Douglass Rocket Plane was white (Douglass 684).

Thanks for any help with this. Working on a set of stomp rockets to compare the flight stability of each design.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
The X-15's color was that of titanium, don't think there was much paint on it. The heat generated at it's speed was not to good on paint, I know on the SR-71 the black paint is there to dissapate heat...Rich
Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
I found some line drawings in the Aerofax Datagraph X-15 title but no color,sorry. They also have drawings of the Douglas model 671 and 684. If I had to guess a color it would be white since that was the color of the X-2 and X-3 around the time the proposals were made.
Wayne
Old 02-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Richkat-The titanium is a silver after looking at a bare metal SR71 in a book I have.

Yes, the black paint was to transfer heat back into the air faster, but it also contained asbestos to help with heat and radar issues.

Hi Wayne-I'm real interested in the model 671, found a real bad 3-vu of it but not enough detail to create a model. I have a very good line drawing of the D558-III Skyflash (model 684) that shows it is white.

Another model that will be done is the actual drawing that NACA used for the proposal.

I'm missing a good drawing of the Republic AP-76, which shows the actual side windows and the hatch that is raised 13 degrees to allow forward visibility when landing (the Republic has no forward view until the pilot raises the hatch and looks through a periscope).

All I have of the Republic AP-76 and Bell D-171 are a couple of 3-vu drawings that don't show any color used, I did see a oblique of the Bell D-171 showing some kind of shading, it doesn't look like it is black, seems like I read somewhere years ago that it was orange.

My answer has been to do a white version of each and then a black painted version. Also did a X-1 type windscreen for the Bell D-171 as I can't find a good view of what the proposed aircraft actually looked like.

Other issues, correct placement of attitude thrusters (have a text description but, they are not shown on any of my drawings.

4 of the 6 models are done. (NAA X-15, Delta wing X-15, Bell D-171, Republic AP-76), working on the Douglass Model 684, and next will be the NACA proposed version. The Douglass M odel 671 would be a great addition, but I don't have a workable 3-vu for it.

Should have this project done soon, here are some photos (Alpha builds only).

Thanks for any help with this.

I did find some stuff on up-ship.com, but don't want to pay money for something that the gov has already used my money for.

My Alpha builds are done on colored cardstock, so they already have color added....Notice the blue colored Bell D-171.

These are not to scale, but fairly close to over all length/wingspan/fuselage diameter.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
Aircraft Prototype Colors?-pict0065.jpg   Aircraft Prototype Colors?-pict0066.jpg   Aircraft Prototype Colors?-pict0067.jpg   Aircraft Prototype Colors?-pict0068.jpg   Aircraft Prototype Colors?-pict0069.jpg