PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
pepa problems

hey guys, i have an issue importing into pepa where it says it's too large and downsamples. i can click the ok button a few times and it builds the model. when i try to unfold it pepa crashes. the first time, i spent a good deal of time editing the model. so when it crashed on unfold you could imagine how upset i was. any tips to fix this?

brian
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ultra
well i had the same problem though with only one model

didn't try it again but i think it's a pc memory thing (i only think this is not certain)

ultra stone
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.67 MB
Check how much RAM is allocated for your system, if limited set to "on request of the system", kinda, but that even wont help if you try to push big file in Pepa. Divide in to parts, up till that unfold smth by one peace. In that case it even won't brake mesh in to that teared peaces of segments that can't be joined together if putting all at once.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
If you have already skinned your model, check the dimensions of the texture files you used. Pepakura has a 1024x1024 limit. Anything bigger, and it will downsample. But that's just a minor annoyance. I don't think it would be the culprit for the crash.

I frequently get the message, "Too many vertices. It might take a long time to unfold." But I just go ahead and experience no problems.

You may want to contact Pepakura's support. They're very prompt to respond to bug inquiries. I've already reported a couple of problems to them in the past, and they responded lightning fast.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
The downsample issue is your texture files that are too big. Like eric_son said, Pepakura has a 1024x1024 limit.

If your mesh has too many faces/vertices, it will give you a warning that it will take a long time to load, it may look like it's frozen, but it's just loading.

Ever seen that option to "flip" your model when you load it? It gives you the option to have your textures on the inside or the outside.
The crash happens when your model has negative faces, i.e. the textured part of a specific face is on the inside of the model while the rest are on the outside.
Some other reasons for crash could be that you have multiple faces and vertices sharing the same space, shapes that have unjoined vertices/edges.
Bottom line is that peppa crashes when there is a problem with your model. If it's a game-ripped model, good luck. More often than not there's lot's of work ahead fixing it all.
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2012, 08:30 AM

iv'e been chopping it down and am able to get some of it unfolded. i have a feeling it's the shared space issue thanks everyone for the pointers
Old 08-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Glad to see you're getting it sorted. Don't forget to show us the model! :D