PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am quite frankly surprised anyone is sharing their works for free... guys, if something is for free - it is for free, at some point it will cease to be (like that bloody alice site), but "discussions" with guilty of thievery admins etc will not prove effective, short term maybe, but this topic comes back every now and then, seems like never ending story. Simplest thing to do? Stop free new downloads!.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzer View Post
I am quite frankly surprised anyone is sharing their works for free... guys, if something is for free - it is for free, at some point it will cease to be (like that bloody alice site), but "discussions" with guilty of thievery admins etc will not prove effective, short term maybe, but this topic comes back every now and then, seems like never ending story. Simplest thing to do? Stop free new downloads!.
i don't welcome that idea as many people (me being first) cannot afford to buy a model not even the cheapest one (currency problems) so what should the likes of me do stop building models

ultra stone
Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 AM

It would be not. I never bought any online print out model (but it does not mean I never tried that option, different paper/card, ink or printer it does not seem right to me, prefer paying for "a kit") there is a way of getting anything from anywhere nowdays, matter of time. Modelers are sharing their work, what is great, but it's their effort somebody else is profiting from. Shame really.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
I am quite frankly surprised anyone is sharing their works for free.
Giving away (for free) model designs is the right of the Author and should be respected.
In the same way we should respect the right of those who ask for payment for their model kits.

I spend too much of my time on model work...time that I am not earning money...
and so I focus the majority of that time on models that I can sell...and the money
I earn pays for and justifies the time I spend.

But I also design models that I give away for free.
Some of them are for my own pleasure. Some for promotional consideration.
Some are bait, to get people to my website. And some are just to help out others,
and spread the joy of sharing with the community.

Quote:
... if something is for free - it is for free, at some point it will cease to be
This statement makes no sense?
Something ceases to be because it ends, runs out, is terminated, dies.
Whether it was for free or for cost, has little or no bearing on how long it will be around.

And things that are free...may or may not stay free for as long as they exist.
hunh?

I think you have assumed that "Alice" store has acquired and is selling what
were originally "free" models on the internet?
This is not the case.
It looks to me like a considerable amount of their stock is digital models
that have been pirated (free and cost) and scanned(copied) Print Models.
They may have acquired these pirate copies on the web for free but
that doesn't make them "free" models.

For example, I mentioned that Alice stoore has some Modelart kits.
I don't know if the kits were available as digital downloads or in printed form
but they were definitely not free models. They had to be purchased with currency.

And lets clear something up...I don't go around seriously promoting website-hacking
or any other form of illegal internet attacks.
Jumping on my comments was a little silly...I think it was an obvious joke.

But to be honest, in this case, I wonder if it would actually be illegal to "attack"
the site in question?
I mean, North American laws don't necessarily apply to China and vice versa.

And sometimes actions are justified in the resolve of a criminal act and to bring criminals to justice.
Can you really "steal" from a "thief"?
Aren't you just "recovering stolen property"?
Can you hack a hacker?
Aren't you just fixing the internet?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post

And lets clear something up...I don't go around seriously promoting website-hacking
or any other form of illegal internet attacks.
Jumping on my comments was a little silly...I think it was an obvious joke.

But to be honest, in this case, I wonder if it would actually be illegal to "attack"
the site in question?
I mean, North American laws don't necessarily apply to China and vice versa.

And sometimes actions are justified in the resolve of a criminal act and to bring criminals to justice.
Can you really "steal" from a "thief"?
Aren't you just "recovering stolen property"?
Can you hack a hacker?
Aren't you just fixing the internet?
well if you put it in that perspective than i don't see it as a criminal act it is more of a "roben hood" kinda act (at least in my opinion)

but still that doesn't justify doing it in the first place as this is quite a dark path (no really it is dark trust me) and let's say their not that unprepared an action like this might backfire on whoever is doing it

the only options i see that could have some effects now is spamming but it needs a mother-load of people to spam an account or the press which also needs some influence

ultra stone
Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
OK OK sooo what we need to do is find out where the servers are and hit them with a nuclear EMP ....think that would teach them something?

OK I'm kidding.......but it's an idea...........Rich
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I'd say a nuclear EMP might be a tad overkill...
the EMP all by itself would probably suffice.

Save the nuke for the North Korean franchise of Alice's store.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 AM

since we're talking emp anyone knows where the device used in oceans eleven is

could be handy but we need an inside guy to tell us where the servers are

ultra stone
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 AM

I have just read all of the posts, and I have gone to the store in question, and yes I see lots of models that I have downloaded over a number years for free from webpages like Canon and so on, and it grids me that this can go on, but lets be honest here this is not the first time that this has happened, on Ebay it is there, and there are other webpages that offer the same service in the western countrys. now let just look at it in this view, yes it get closed down, great, but it will pop up again some where else by the same person and so on and so on.
To go the legal route is going to fun and one would most likely waste a lot time and money, and if Canon for example has done zip, zero, nothing then I think there is part of one answer.
I am at this moment in time now not happy to release my engine design be it for free or a cost of what ever. I know that there is good few people who will love to build the model and would respect work done and copyrighting and so on of the work done. buy why go down that road, I could instead build the models to order and the person waits a year or so and will get a completed model by me and there would be no chance of copyright issues, but then the cost will be high and I would most likely never sell one.....

I have looked to see if any of my other 4 models are there I have not seen them so, maybe it is a good thing I guess....
Old 01-12-2020, 09:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 325.82 MB
Hi Everyone,

I have looked into trying to close down Alicepaper models and I think the chances are next to none.
We may not be able to close them down, but I believe we can severely hurt them.
They use Paypal as one of there payment methods which is pretty much the number one payment method. What I worked out when I spoke and put in a complaint to paypal about what they were doing is this.
If there are enough people that purchase models frome Alice paper models then put in a complaint, that the quality is cheap paper prints on a lesser quality than the originals would be, also that they are stolen from websites on the net and that some of the models are missing instructions and etc.
What ever you can pick on do it.
Its a bit of a process, but you will be refunded from paypal as I was.
I spent almost $100 and all of it was refunded including the shipping.
If enough people do this paypal will not be too happy with all the refunds and complaints put forward and the finacial loss to them.
Paypal explained if this keeps happening they will no longer allow Alice Paper Models to use Paypal as a payment method.
I dont expect everyone to spend as much as I did, but if everyone can spend maybe $10 to $20 this should do the job.
At the end of the day you will get all your money back and in some cases get to keep the models that they purchased, this will also hurt Alice Paper Models.
So come on everyone, lets get together and make it happen, its suck a small amout of effort to help all these great designers that have looked after us with there fantastic work and generosity. Would like to thank each and everyone of you that have supplied me with your fantastic work.

Kind regards
David
P.S. I have never done a thread before, so I'm not sure if this is where I post this, if someone reads this and finds I have not correctly posted this, please send me a message and let me know where I should post it. In the mean time I will see where else I can post this.
Google Adsense