PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 MB
How to shut down piracy web site

It has came to my attention via another member that a lot of free models are being sold at this site :

REMOVED LINK TO PREVENT SPIDERBOT SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION

Many of the mechs for example are models done by myself, zecks, shiftdel, monkeyrum, yogsolthan too name a few.

If there a way to report this site some where to have it investigated or better yet shut down.

Also other designers should have a look, I see a lot of free stuff there being sold. Together we can make a difference.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by 3Turner; 07-04-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: removing direct link
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.98 MB
This "Alice Papermodels Store" has been mentioned many times here on this forum, all of their 'products' are copies of someone else's work (I can see Maly Modelarz, GPM, Fly Model, Halinski, Orlik, Modelik aircraft models there, sometimes rescaled to 1:24, sometimes not) - and sadly I guess there absolutely nothing you can do about it. It's based in China and we all know how strict are they when it comes to copyright protection.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
This topic pops up regularly. When I first found out what these ... people do, I was ... very upset, to say the least. They even have some of my models in their catalogue. I've come to the conclusion that it is better to ignore them. Because every time you mention this site you give attention to them. Linking to them is like advertising for them. spinynorman is right, you can do absolutely nothing to stop them. So IMO every discussion on that matter is a waste of time. Ignore it and concentrate on something else. Nevertheless I'm eagerly waiting for the day when this site is torn apart.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Blaar, Alice is like a chronic disease. They are always there and always going to come up again and again. They have been discussed on the forum ad nauseum. Below is two of my posts from other threads, including at least one important thing....don't put live links to them here. It brings them up higher and higher in the Google search results because Google algorithms think they are important if people click and link them.

You can try reporting the vendor to the parent website to try and get those listings (preferably store vendor) shut down. Another avenue, which I've read about but don't know how to do, is to report to Google that website or search results of the papermodels which they will/should remove from the search results for anyone searching for a certain term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Turner View Post
Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done. The website has been a subject discussed several times already on the forums.

If the photos are linked to this website in a post (hosted elsewhere), then anyone can see the pictures, even non-members....but not have the ability to download free kits from the download area since they have to be signed in as a member. On the flip side, if the photos are uploaded to the post/forum, then one would have to be a member of the forums to see the photos and to download the kit from the downloads section. And to top it all off....there are thousands upon thousands of members who are signed up to PM.com and have never posted anything.....and I can surely bet that the scum who is selling through that website is a member here and only collects kits and photos for their benefit.

Best thing you can do....is don't click on their links in Google after a search. All that does is bring up their website store in the search rankings above all the legitimate websites. And of course, that will dupe an unknowing person into buying a free model...sadly. Another thing that can be done is reporting the store, kit or whatever can be reported to the main Alice web admin so that items would be removed from that particular vendor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Turner View Post
Folks, it is very unfortunate that they are selling or re-selling many models...many of them available for free. HOWEVER, each time you link TO THEM or the store, you are helping create more traffic to their website which in turn will bring them up higher in Google (or other search engines) search results. Remember, there are always search bots combing the web looking for links and email addresses which contain the keywords used by the person searching a particular model. And when they begin seeing web links to that very same website over and over again on a paper model forum which contain a specific set of keywords, the search engines will give that website top search results because the keywords being used are in the link to the website here or any other forum you've linked from.

And what does that do, why is it important we do not link to that website? It will deceive the hobbyist doing a Google (or similar) search who is new to paper modeling into thinking that the website is a legitimate website to purchase from. And how do you think they will feel if they bought a model that IS FREE from one of the designers who frequent here? When that new hobbyist finds out he/she could have gotten that Optimus Prime model from Paper Replika for free...they will be mad and may be turned from our hobby. This is where, we as a community, come in to help the new hobbyist. Members from here should direct those individuals to the genuine, legitimate websites.

How can we stop them? First and foremost, let each designer know BY EMAIL that one or more models of theirs are being sold without their permission. Although, the designer may already know the situation with that specific website subject of this thread, it still helps to notify them. Next, you may want to try and find a link at the bottom of the website under "Help" or "Report Abuse" or "Report Copyright Violation"....something like that. Report the item if you can. But please...DO NOT link to them anymore, it is only more advertising for them and help gain them more exposure to unsuspecting hobbyists that do not know that website is not a legitimate outlet of digital models. All the linking does is give them higher search results and more exposure. Lets not let that happen.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
There is something that can be done. Start with the easiest first. I contacted "Alice", requested that they not sell my models they had posted, and they took them down.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebeltex View Post
There is something that can be done. Start with the easiest first. I contacted "Alice", requested that they not sell my models they had posted, and they took them down.
Good to know Cliff...that would be easiest.

I suppose there is an email address on their vendor store?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Because Alice is from China I have long suspected them as bogus. That being said, they are pervasive. The other day I was looking for paper models of US cargo ships. What came up was selections from Alice, particularly a double hull oil tanker that I see here in El Segundo. No links from the original publisher appeared. My first thought was who really publishes this model? I don't know.

The thought for day for this thread is for those in the know, every time an Alice item is queried here in the forum, identify the original publisher/designer to buy from the source. I would buy items I see on Alice, not from Alice but the source if I only knew!

This could eventually be a reference source here.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Agree with Hathaway Veteran's comments. Have seen several things I would be interested in if I could find the original source. Which I guess is one of the factors keeping Alice going (instead of Alice shouldn't they be the Umbrella Corp?) is that they have the resources to be on E-bay and market in the US.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
there is only one way and that is to flood the market with all those free models alice is selling, of course, with the full original author info included on each one. leave them at craft stores, book stores, spam email to possible alice customers, etc.......
Old 07-04-2013, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I say we start ordering stuff from them.
I mean big quantities.

And then don't pay.

Try to tie up their auctions and sales department with
bogus purchases!
What are they gonna do?
Google Adsense