PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via MSN to Vyceroy
Fang Of The Sun Dougram Drawings

I am wanting to design the Mecha from this show but i cannot find any decent drawings or 3 views .. I have several Dougram books but no 3 view type drawings .. If anyone knows of any or might have any please chime in as i need help here .. Thanks Ron
Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.23 MB
Hello.

So the easiest thing I can tell you to do, is go to Google. Search for Dougram, and chose Images. There are a LOT of pictures. If you have a specific model, search for that.

Also, keep in mind that most Dougram Mecha are also known by their "Battletech" or "Robotech: Defenders" names. (Check out the Dougram entry on Wikipedia to reference which is which.) There are plastic models available, that can be gotten cheaply in some cases, and used as the basis for the paper models, or you can just take careful measurements and make guess-timates about dimensions from the pictures.

If you are looking for Orthographic Drawings of the mecha, (3 view drawings, showing front, side, top or other related views) I'm not sure how successful you're going to be.

Now, having said that...
ToyboxDX: Datafiles: Dougram
1981 | CollectionDX
If you check out those links, and click on the "box back" (on toyboxdx) you will notice some pictures of each model, in 3 view orthographic style. The pictures aren't very large, but they're a start. collectiondx has several pictures of each model.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:43 PM

yeah been through all those ... not a lot of help, decent photos but not a lot of 3 views .. i did find a few Battletech reference materials with a few nice line drawings but not many .. I have started a few Vectored Drawings in illustrator and will try to piece it all together .. going to start with Dougram first then the Soltic H8 .. Designed many R/C planes but this is way different .. want to try to work them up in Sketchup but the old brain does not work as well as it used to ..
Old 11-06-2013, 12:01 AM

I use Sketchup for my modelling too. I've done some Gundams, mostly, and a few other things here and there.

(see the picture attached. This is a Gundam L.O. Booster from Gundam Wing: G-Unit side story)

When I do them, I start with single part, model it, make it a component, and close the file. I then open a new file, import the component I just made, and make the next part. Once it's finished, I remove the original component, and save the new component. When I get a series of components to look the way I like them, I import them to a single file (say all the components for the leg) create a single component or group, and save this.

It's a long process, but you end up with a very detailed model (or as detailed as you want it to be). The model below has been designed specifically to be turned into a papercraft, so many of the surfaces are rougher than they would be if I were planning to do something else with it.

Which models from Dougram were you planning on making?
Attached Thumbnails
Fang Of The Sun Dougram Drawings-gundamlobooster.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 323.80 MB
try finding ebay listings for the 1/144 toys. The back of the packages had 2 or 3 view orthographic photographs!
Google Adsense
Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 AM

StormDragon I am wanting to do the whole series of mechs and crawlers plus the twin rotor mech transport.. Dougram , Soltic H8 , Bushman , Blockhead .. Iron Foot .. and a i believe there are 2 others..
Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 AM

Cool.

I actually have a number of the original series of Dougram Models. I think they're the original Takara 1/48th scale models. I will have to dig into the closet to see what I have this weekend, but I might be able to take you some close-up photos of the various parts, if you're interested.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM

That would be great ..