PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 11-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
Recolored Templates

First I have permission to recolor Ninjatoe's Mk-II Viper. See pictures below. The problem I am having is size. I did a screen capture to be able to recolor using MS Paint. I used Jing for the screen capture. The templates look great, but they don't print to fit the whole page. I set the templates up in Word 2007 then create a PDF. They look great on the PDF and I set the Word doc to 11x8.5 landscape. I have 4 recolored vipers ready, and just waiting to print and build. If they turn out the way they should then I will send the PDF to Ninjatoe for approval. If he likes them they will be available at his web site, here and at Zealot. Does anybody have any Ideas what I am doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Recolored Templates-2014-10-19_1028.jpg   Recolored Templates-2014-10-13_1709.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake7 View Post
First I have permission to recolor Ninjatoe's Mk-II Viper. See pictures below. The problem I am having is size. I did a screen capture to be able to recolor using MS Paint. I used Jing for the screen capture. The templates look great, but they don't print to fit the whole page. I set the templates up in Word 2007 then create a PDF. They look great on the PDF and I set the Word doc to 11x8.5 landscape. I have 4 recolored vipers ready, and just waiting to print and build. If they turn out the way they should then I will send the PDF to Ninjatoe for approval. If he likes them they will be available at his web site, here and at Zealot. Does anybody have any Ideas what I am doing wrong?
Sorry, a little unclear on your process (I'm not a Windows guy)...

Are you using Jing to capture the screen and then pasting the image into Word? Why not install a PDF printer and print to PDF directly from Paint?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Ninjatoe's original files are PDF, so I use Jing to get each template off the PDF, then I open it in MS Paint to recolor it, then I put each template in to Word 2007, so that I could turn them back into a PDF. I set margins at 0.0, and got rid of the headers, and set it up for landscape 11x8.5 letter. The PDF looks great each template covers the page, but it doesn't print that way, and I tried fit to page, actual size, and even shrink to fit, I went through 15 pages trying to get it to fit the whole page. I even wrote to Ninjatoe for help.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 PM

This is what the templates in my PDF look like, and how they turn out when I print.
Attached Thumbnails
Recolored Templates-jing_capture_pdf.jpg   Recolored Templates-img_20141103_210131.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
too many programs doing too many conversions...........you need to get a program that will read the original format and save it too.

I haven't tried GIMP but you may want to check it out so you don't have to go through that many different programs to get your results.

My Drawings
Google Adsense
Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 PM

The programs I mentioned are the ones I am familar with, and I am so close to finishing it is frustating.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Eternal Member

Send me the bmp files and I'll run them through photoshop for you to see what happens.......... PM me and I'll send you my email address

My Drawings
Old 11-04-2014, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Something you might want to check is to make sure that the DPI (dots per inch) settings of all your files are consistent. Changing the DPI will change the size of the image relative to the size of the paper. In particular, I would check the DPI setting of the MS Paint file that you are pasting the screen capture into.

Another possible re-sizing suspect: when you are doing the screen capture, are you sure the PDF is displaying on the screen at 100% zoom?

What happens if you print the file from MS Paint? Is the print the right size? This should help you understand where in the chain of applications the re-sizing is taking place.

If the file prints at the right size when printed directly from MS Paint, you might try converting from MS Paint back to PDF with Foxit Reader, a basic PDF reader (free!) that can create PDFs from common graphics file formats (bmp, jpg, gif, tif). I think that would be a safer path than using MS Word for PDF conversion.

As John pointed out, you are using a somewhat convoluted chain of applications (PDF to screen capture to graphics app to word processor to PDF) which introduces increased possibility for problems. Reducing this chain as much as possible by using apps designed to handle these file types directly should reduce the chance of problems. As John suggested, the ideal solution would be to use a graphics app that can open and save files in PDF format.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Art Deco; 11-04-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 PM

John Bowden helped me figure out what was going on. My screen grabs were around 9x6 inches, so I increased the size through MS Paint to 11x8 inches. The only other problem for me is my printer won't print the first inch or so from the top. When I print fit to page everything ok except it doesn't fit to the intire page, and when I print actual size the bottom get cut off because of the printer not printing that inch at the top. Here a picture I did at "fit to page", so I think I am ready to finish and send to Ninjatoe for final approval. Thanks everyone for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Recolored Templates-img_20141104_023445.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Eternal Member

Glad I could help.............

My Drawings
Google Adsense