PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Determing size fro

I'm having a little trouble finding the right spot for this but I planned to extract some 3D models from a game for papercrafting but then realized I don't really have any point of reference for their dimensions within the game. This is a problem since then lack a way to print them in scale with one another. I have been googling this subject for a few days but have only found information on scaling in terms of making things simply larger or smaller and not proportionally "correct" as it were. Does anyone know if it it's possible to derive the "real life" physical dimensions of a 3D model and if so how? Again, sorry if this is the wrong section.
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2015, 04:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I'm no draughtsman nor expert modeller, nor yet skilled in 3D arcanae; but that said, I hope the following may prove of use to you.

If the game has any adult human characters standing near a doorway, then you can use the standard of a 2 metre high by 1.6 metre wide door as a scale measure.
In theory at least, it should not then occasion difficulty to extrapolate therefrom the relevant proportions and scale you seek to extract.

I hope the info helps you, and wish you the very best of luck in your endeavour.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:24 PM

Your going to extract some 3d game models?
Someome makes a 3D model, someone else textures it, someone else packs it in a game, someone else writes an unpacker, and someone else figures out the format.
So you just press the 'unfold' button right?

Anyway to answer the question, 3D game models have no scale, to find a reference scale you'd have to find the model extents, the models scale multiplier from it's matrix, and the models object scale within the BSP scene tree, then compare it to something in the game with a measurable size, like a human.
Cartoon and SciFi space games usually have no workable scale, you need to work out an 'average' buildable size instead.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Wouldn't you know as soon I posted this I gave google one last try and found my answer with https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...yt-cl=85114404. I imported the model and it was scaled properly.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by codex34 View Post
Your going to extract some 3d game models?
Someome makes a 3D model, someone else textures it, someone else packs it in a game, someone else writes an unpacker, and someone else figures out the format.
So you just press the 'unfold' button right?

Anyway to answer the question, 3D game models have no scale, to find a reference scale you'd have to find the model extents, the models scale multiplier from it's matrix, and the models object scale within the BSP scene tree, then compare it to something in the game with a measurable size, like a human.
Cartoon and SciFi space games usually have no workable scale, you need to work out an 'average' buildable size instead.
Finding a human size door is another way to figure out the relative scale model of buildings. But it can't be something like an oversized door for say a Cathedral or Castle main entrance. Needs to be a normal entry door.

When I want to create an original model building I often start with the door and then design around that. Plus use normal ceiling heights such as a cottage that might have low ceilings or style of house that would have taller rooms. Then the rest of the design seems to fall into place and become believable.
Google Adsense