PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Mr.Leif, sir... i found this site for wood patterns.. texturemate.com - Free Textures, Brushes, Patterns, and Design Articles! | Welcome to my Repository of Free Textures, Brushes, Patterns and Design Articles.

And this vectorstash | A Repository of Free Vector Art and SVG Files

I don't know if its youre looking for..
Best regards, Loui.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
yeah, not a quick download speed at that site
811mb file

and many of those textures can be downloaded individually from a number of other sites.
But still an interesting collection to grab.
Attached Thumbnails
Repeating Textures-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Normal and Bump maps are basically a method of introducing fake shadows and lighting, they are used in mainly in 3D, they are used because it takes too much time to calculate actual highlights and shadows in games in real time, so the maps you see are the result of pre-calculations, stored in graphics form instead of binary data.

Bump maps usually contain surface imperfections, like leather or orange peel that are spread over lots of surfaces.
Normal maps usually contain highlight and shadow for details like panel lines, creases, or the general lighting of a 3D model.

Rivets would be a good example of where a Normal map could be used.

Technically the Normal maps contain Normal data, which isn't a shadow or a highlight, it is a vector which dertermines how the lighting matrices interacts with the surface..... lots of maths you don't need to know.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Vector wood pattern

Thank you both, Gil & Codex34, for explaining bump, normal & displacement maps. I take it that they are all for 3D-designing.

Kacrut, thanks for for an additional source of beautiful textures. There was only the one vector, though (cut-through of a tree), right? Or did I miss something?

Meanwhile, I did perservere, and managed to find half a dozen or so decent wood textures, all vectorized, at this site: All free download. As you will find out, far from all what is shown is vector, and an even smaller percentage is free. Basically, it's a webpage all about making you so frustrated finding free stuff, that you will sign up for a prescription.

Shown above is one example of what I did manage to weed out from that site, a five-type sample, all vector. The image shows what it looks like, and the zipped file contains one version.ai and one version.eps. Have a look-see if you need something like this.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Repeating Textures-wood-plates-x-5.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wood plates x 5.zip (463.2 KB, 4 views)