PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 08-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by croden View Post
Okay.... But what's the point telling us if you aren't going to share it? Just saying..
Why is there a rule against me saying that?
This is passive aggressive and I don't want to say anymore.

Have fun learned to design though, it really is a rewarding skill to learn.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 08-22-2015, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 883.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
please can i get my plug in early
go for the md 11 as there are plenty of models around of the others
That was what I was planning to do with the A350, 767 and 747 following.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
rhino for mac is 95$ for students. otherwise 295$. for windows its 195$ for student and 995$ otherwise.
Thank you nothing
Old 08-22-2015, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
That was what I was planning to do with the A350, 767 and 747 following.
there is one airbus that i have only seen one model of ,its a freebie but not brilliant and could do with a new design.if you guess it you can have it.its not a variant of the 300 series
Old 08-22-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
there is one airbus that i have only seen one model of ,its a freebie but not brilliant and could do with a new design.if you guess it you can have it.its not a variant of the 300 series
A400 possibly?
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2015, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
A400 possibly?
yup you got it.have you seen the freebie model
Old 08-22-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
No I haven't
Old 08-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Quote:
Here it is Herky, and be warned, it is a big file.

Thread:A400M model.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 08-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunwayOneSixRight View Post
Why is there a rule against me saying that?
This is passive aggressive and I don't want to say anymore.
As respectfully as I can say this, so is repeatedly stating "I have model <insert here> but will not be sharing it"...

------- Now, back to the topic at hand: -------

Christopher, what model Mac Mini do you have? If Intel, good. The reason I ask is there are two programs that come to mind: Blender and Wings 3D. Both are available free, but 1) will have a steep learning curve, and 2) may not a design to 2D parts as easily as you like.

I think there are several threads on the forum for one or both of these, you will have to do a search. There may be more information out there, again, Google is your friend.

I do know that Aaron Murphy designs with Rhino, which as mentioned, offers a student version for $95.

I have a fully-functioning free (but set to expire VERY soon) version on my Mac. I have not had the time (and patience, to be quite frank) to experiment as much as I would like, but so far I like it better than Blender (looked at the screenshots for Wings3D and decided against it). At the very least, I found I was able to generate flat 2D parts much easier (relatively speaking).

What Rhino (and Blender, etc) is NOT able to do is allow you to color (stripes, insignias, logos, etc). You will need another program to do that. Rhino can export directly to .ai file formats, as well as .dxf files. Aaron also found a brilliant (IMHO) work-around: Print to a PDF printer, and then open that with a program capable of opening those.

You might also search for any threads/posts that AirDave has made on the subject. As I understand, he designs by hand, only using software (CorelDraw- not available for Mac, unfortunately) to color his models.

Finally, IMSI has TurboCAD, and PunchCAD has ViaCAD available for the Mac. Unless you get the higher end (read $$$$$$) versions, you will not be able to unfold a 3D design into 2D shapes. For the money, Rhino is your best bet, especially if you can get the student pricing.

By no means am I claiming to be an expert (but I will admit to being long-winded). The above is just what I have gleaned from my searches and experiments.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
As respectfully as I can say this, so is repeatedly stating "I have model <insert here> but will not be sharing it"...

------- Now, back to the topic at hand: -------

Christopher, what model Mac Mini do you have? If Intel, good. The reason I ask is there are two programs that come to mind: Blender and Wings 3D. Both are available free, but 1) will have a steep learning curve, and 2) may not a design to 2D parts as easily as you like.

I think there are several threads on the forum for one or both of these, you will have to do a search. There may be more information out there, again, Google is your friend.

I do know that Aaron Murphy designs with Rhino, which as mentioned, offers a student version for $95.

I have a fully-functioning free (but set to expire VERY soon) version on my Mac. I have not had the time (and patience, to be quite frank) to experiment as much as I would like, but so far I like it better than Blender (looked at the screenshots for Wings3D and decided against it). At the very least, I found I was able to generate flat 2D parts much easier (relatively speaking).

What Rhino (and Blender, etc) is NOT able to do is allow you to color (stripes, insignias, logos, etc). You will need another program to do that. Rhino can export directly to .ai file formats, as well as .dxf files. Aaron also found a brilliant (IMHO) work-around: Print to a PDF printer, and then open that with a program capable of opening those.

You might also search for any threads/posts that AirDave has made on the subject. As I understand, he designs by hand, only using software (CorelDraw- not available for Mac, unfortunately) to color his models.

Finally, IMSI has TurboCAD, and PunchCAD has ViaCAD available for the Mac. Unless you get the higher end (read $$$$$$) versions, you will not be able to unfold a 3D design into 2D shapes. For the money, Rhino is your best bet, especially if you can get the student pricing.

By no means am I claiming to be an expert (but I will admit to being long-winded). The above is just what I have gleaned from my searches and experiments.
Thank you sgoti. I wish there was a free program out there. I cant afford a 95$ one. Especially seeing as I am 14 and cant work yet... Thanks thoug
Google Adsense