PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Sounds like Aaron is going to have a big one.

I actually have some photos already of my house that I used when I was deciding on what color to have it painted last year. Hmmm
Old 01-28-2016, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I live in an apartment complex...
So you can do a smaller model of the whole building! Add a part of the parking lot with cars (including your own)...
Old 01-28-2016, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Anne View Post
So you can do a smaller model of the whole building! Add a part of the parking lot with cars (including your own)...
Enough parking for my own car would go into the realm of fantasy though. I usually end up parking on the other side of the complex.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 119.30 MB
Talking Thanks for all good suggestions.

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all answers, and yes I am trying to tweek and tune the model in Scetchup. ( at least playing around.)
However things are not as easy as it is in youtube vids.. haha. I do not get the same results as they show there often.

I have the original drawing files ( DWG ) files, and choose to import them as background, Base img.) however my DWG file contains all files in one. Floorplan, outside view , and cut section details. How to edit or cut away undesired files I am not sure of. since layers. It is selectable, however when mergin the layersafter making group in Scetchup we should move all layers to 0 layer when deleting, then they becomes visible again. Should problably be cut away in Cad before imported to Scetchup.
The most enoying thing is that then all beam lines etsc is added as well, this result in 1 million lines to be deleted if i shall continnue with the file.
Also when working with orbit tool it does not flip the model slowly , it spins crazy fast and i wind up far away from the model, I have been trying to find settings for this but have resigned.( maybe its a mouse senstivityresolution issue)
Alos when importing, the template does not automaticly place itself on the axes field, it winds up far from it, so i need to move the axes after import. and the template is so tiny you can hardly see it. I set the scale to millimeters according to drawing , but it does not change anything.
Allways has to zoom in a lot.
Scale when using meassuring tool is allways correct though!

Conclutions: I will prevale and figure it out, but for now its a struggle.
I usually win in the end.

I will try to use the original pdf`s as template to test them , at least I am rid of the layers issue.

:-)

Last edited by JustTheSeim; 02-08-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 190.24 MB
DraftSight for DWG/DXF drawings

I received the CAD drawings of my house from the builder. They were in *.dxf format, but the process to use *.dwg files are the same.

I downloaded DraftSight to modify the Layers of the *.dxf before I tried to use the *.dxf in SketchUp. The *.dxf files are 2D and I wanted to use the SketchUp Push/Pull tool to make a 3D computer model of the house. I wanted to "hide" the layers in the *.dxf file that had nothing to do with walls, doors and windows. There were 10 layers, and not all of them were needed in SketchUp.

DraftSight operates like AutoCAD LT. DraftSight is an almost keystroke-for-keystroke clone of AutoCAD LT, so tutorials and YouTube video training for AutoCAD LT can be used for learning DraftSight.

DraftSight is free to download, but you will have to supply a valid email address to receive the "activation" code. I have not been spammed by DraftSight emails, but your mileage may vary.

Here is the link to download DraftSight. It is available for Windows 32-bit/64-bit and there are betas for Mac and Linux.
Download DraftSight - Dassault Systèmes

-Steve
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 AM

Draft will be tested :-)

I will download and have a go at it.

The nice thing about this is that you actually learns a lot of diffrent software for other usual tasks as well,
Once model is built i can use it to plan the whole lot and back yard planning, interior designing etc. Now i can finally visualize to my miss when we do planning.. hehe.

Project was extended to include a model of the yard shed and future garage, since i already have the files and design, and i can redesign it to match changes i have in my head for it.

I will update and create a project thread once project is started.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:11 AM

I hate Software

Hi Guys.
This is starting to get really enoying.

Nothing works according to tutorials, i ended up using print screen and jpg files from that , snagged pdf , since pdf is not supported by Microsoft version of sketchup. tried to convert pdf to SVG pic in incscape. result PC crashed when trying to run the program. ( run smoothly on my Windows 10 tab but really slow.)
I found a pdf to dwg converter, maybe it can convert the pdf`s to dwg with only the layers i want.. haha.
Second enoying issue is that when using jpg as template, drawing outside wall lines around the house, it will place all lines on surface except the awning in front of the house. this will be inserted as endpoints for some reason. This makes it impossible to push pull as house wall, it makes it look more like an abstract art project.
Aside from above, i have printed pdfs of the house as A3 size, 1:50 scale, and started to cut manually..I will transfer the custted piezes onto 160-250 grams paper for stiffness. ( I start to regret all the angles and complex structure on the house now.) As soon as i learned to attach pics in the posts i will update. or maybe start my house threads..
Attached a pic of my actual house and cutting project
Attached Thumbnails
Model of my house-20160119_171904_2.jpg   Model of my house-20160214_112256_2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2016, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Wediul has a nice pdf of how he does his models from photos on his site's home page.

wediul.de - Ausschneidebögen
Old 02-16-2016, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
In my experience Sketchup is the easiest model software to learn but for a long time I made paper models without software. Are you familiar with the math for basic 3d shapes?

As to making a paper model of the house where I live, I first need a house where I live :-) Also live in an appartement!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
I wonder whether an apartment complex, a complex apartment, and an apartment with a complex, are similar enough to be the same thing.

Decades ago I built a styrene sheet, plasticard, model of the small apartment building I lived in to 1/285 scale, 1/300 scale, or something close and easy to do the math for to go with wargaming miniatures. Got elevation drawings via the office manager and worked from there. took doing some simple math to scale the measurements. Worked the size out on paper then drew it directly on the styrene sheet. Now, that was cut and glue individual panels as opposed to folding paper.

I have used poster paper for walls of O scale and G scale buildings. The, or an, 'old school' way I do things is for a 4-wall building start at edge of paper with drawing out the edges of one wall, using literal old school drafting triangles from school way back when.
Buildings of apparently complex shapes often can be knocked down to a series of boxes.

Having a ruler marked in dimensions for your chosen model scale sure helps. There are plenty in model train and in plastic model scales in imperial, I'm not sure about metric since we don't use that here.
With a scale rule a lot of math is avoided, just look at what the plans say, find that on your ruler, and there ya go.

Multiple intersecting pitched roof angles, well, that's another ballgame! One I try to avoid as much as possible.
But let's say the building has a hipped roof, not super simple but not too complex either. I'll look for a side elevation showing flat on the long side the full ridge line and lower edge of roof, which will give lengths of those. Then look for an end elevation where the distance along roof surface from edge to ridge can be measured. That will give the panel dimensions for two sides.
same profess can be followed to give measurements of hipped ends.

I hope that makes sense and eventually is useful to someone somewhere.
Google Adsense

Tags
lego, model, google, house, make, built, year, skilled, wanted, modeller, upload, earth, project, version, kit, studio, great, feedback, designer, clouded, area, discovering, forrest, ariel, closed