PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 06-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
A Question About Printers

Hi, Folks,

Just a quick question about printers for the group, but let me give you some background.

All of my models are done on sheets sized at either 3150 x 2400 for a 10.5" x 8" image at 300 d.p.i. or 3000 x 2250 for a 10" x 7.5" image, also at 300 d.p.i. I designed the models this way because most printers allowed for a minimum margin of .25" and it was a way to create a constant scale.

Yesterday, my trusty older Canon All-In-One inkjet decided it didn't want to feed the paper anymore, so i decided to pop for a new one rather than mess with an old Wal-Mart bargain.

The new printer is also a Canon All-in-One, and, aside from some really annoying software, it works OK. My problem with it arose when I tried to print a sheet for a model I've been working on. It only allows the .25" margin on three sides. Despite everything I've tried, it always defaults the bottom margin to .66" for a sheet size of 8" x 10.09".

So, my question is, how the HECK am I supposed to get any kind of consistent scale when printing models on this thing? Yes, I can re-size my own models, but what about models from outside sources that don't conform to Canon's margin limits?

Ideas? Alternatives?
Google Adsense
Old 06-03-2016, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.66 MB
Can you set it for borderless printing and then print at 100%?
Old 06-04-2016, 01:53 PM

Nope. Tried it. It won't do borderless. I'm just gonna cry uncle and return it. It's fine for generic document printing, but it is useless for what we do.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.75 MB
What I end up doing for a weird bordered printer is set the border to as low as they go, and then just print at 100%. When inevitably parts get cut off, I just either do another print lower on the page, or flip the page over and print again.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:00 PM

I ended up just saying to heck with it and took it back where I got it. I found an HP while I was there that stated right on the box that it does borderless, and my first test print, about two minutes ago, was flawless. Who knew that a company like Canon would put out such a lousy design?
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2016, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
<=== Holds up hand quietly.

About every 7 years or so, I give Canon 'just one more try'. I've never had good luck with any of my purchases. I hear about other folks that swear by Canon, but I only swear at myself for trying them yet again