PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 08-21-2016, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good point, John! I agree that Chip Fyn has to be mentioned in any list of iconic paper model designers. And Fiddlers Green under his son, Scott Fyn, continues to offer wonderful models by various designers.

My own list was limited to designers whose designs I had built or, in the case of Martin Saenger and Jeremiah Broughton (Sutomo/Skyline Models), models that I had personally examined and imagineered. I also stressed models that I know fit well enough to not cause frustration to a novice model builder. Some of Chip's old models (and all of the more recent FG models) are a delight to build, but some of the early ones require a little work to bring to completion.

Having said that, I reiterate that Chip belongs on any list of major design contributors to the craft.

Don
Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
So far, I admire ALL of them! There are so many different variations in a single Genre, that sometimes it's hard to figure out which way to go; should I build a Rocket, or a House? Make a diorama with all of the trimmings, or leave it simple?

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to plot everything out, and release it so we can fold, spindle and mutilate your Creations to the best of our ability!

Alan
Old 08-30-2016, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
Chip revitalized the craft with his monocoup designs.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Always like the work of andrzej inwald, best free papermodel in the interwebs

Other designer whose designs I enjoyed (or would enjoy) building:

Andzej halinski
Lukasz fuczek
Rafal ciesielski
Emil zarkov
Marek pacynski
Sumato
Wayne McCullough
Alfonso X. Moreno

And many more
Old 09-05-2016, 04:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
Chip revitalized the craft with his monocoup designs.
Chip Fyn was my direct inspiration to get into designing. He encouraged me, helped me, and even got me into Rhino3D.
Google Adsense
Old 09-05-2016, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Here's a list of my favourite designers

GaryPilsworth
Murph's Models
S&P
AXM Paper Models
Modelart
Skyline
Marek Models
Dr. Fortezza
Old 09-05-2016, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.37 GB
What about Clifford Button's Paper Tiger Armaments? I am currently building his waterline model of a Higgins boat LCVP. All the parts fit and the model seems to look real.
Then there is Gunnar and Lena Gustavson-Sillen's models on Bildrumdotse?
they have an excellent series of free models in their Christmas greeting card format.
A visit to Ralph Currell's website would reveal some little gems.
They are all good designers whose models and websites are truly informative.
Just a thought ...
Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.37 GB
Might I add Phillipe Rennesson's models of light french aircraft and Pierre Gauriat's models of buildings, vehicles and aircraft in his pierreg.free.fr/carton/ website.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Kugelfang,
I am sorry you were disappointed with the quality of the kits offered on my site. I can honestly say I hadnt heard that comment before. Many of the freebies are also from early on the careers of some of the designers and were to help get their names out there. However I am sure you would like any of the kits suggested in this thread. If you would like to try one out I give out free kits in exchange for a build thread here or in exchange for pics (if the kit doesnt already have pics)
Thanks and sorry you didnt like what you got.
Chris
Old 09-06-2016, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
In retrospect I probably should not have mentioned where I downloaded the free models from. I get the sense I might have touched a few nerves in the forum community. It was not my intent to be critical of the designers or ecardmodels.com. Anybody who puts work into designing or building a model and making it available (especially for free) adds something to the hobby.

I wasn't disappointed in what I downloaded simply because I have no expectations as to what I can get for free off the internet. Even a model that I find uninspiring has lessons to teach about design and may very well inspire someone else. I hope my 'meh...' comment says more about me rather than the designers. There is plenty on ecardmodels.com that I find incredibly inspiring--particularly the Civil War and predeadnoughts vessels. If only my build skills were up to those challenges!

I'm tempted to take you up on your 'free model for build thread' exchange but I also know I can take years to complete hobby projects. My rate of completion is abysmal so I'm not sure you'd get anything of value from that transaction!

On the flip side, I think the responses here have really helped me find designers with admirable design techniques and presentations. I do appreciate everybody's comments.
Google Adsense