PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 11-22-2016, 10:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Go find yourself a nice simple pdf file which includes graphics and this time instead of opening it in your favourite pdf reader ask "Notepad" (or some other text reader) to open it.

It will.

You will instantly realise that only they who are commonly referred to as computer nerds have any hope of really understanding the current conversation.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:04 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Smile PDF forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
pdf for the masses.....
yes for someone who still uses XP computer and old hp printer!!!
Old 11-23-2016, 12:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
One question regarding pdo which might reflect on dated knowledge. When I started creating models I mainly used macs, sometimes with X11 software, then worked with XP, then Linux so X11 again. Pepakura and pdo were limited to Windows environments so it really wasn't a good option for me. The question then is whether that is still the case, i.e. Windows os. Yes there are ways to run win apps outside, but it does seem to add an unnecessary level of complication. Pdf and svg seem to provide wider cross platform access over os and hardware. Yes or no?
Old 11-23-2016, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
the background raster was a matrix of small tiles, about a dozen in each dimension.
Pdotools creates separate bitmap for each part, so you can rearrange the parts for example.

zubie: still Windows only.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubie View Post
Pepakura and pdo were limited to Windows environments so it really wasn't a good option for me. The question then is whether that is still the case, i.e. Windows os. Yes there are ways to run win apps outside, but it does seem to add an unnecessary level of complication.
On Linux, installing Wine is fairly simple, and Pepakura Viewer (3 at least) runs fine on it. Haven't tried P.Creator.
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2016, 04:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker View Post
Go find yourself a nice simple pdf file which includes graphics and this time instead of opening it in your favourite pdf reader ask "Notepad" (or some other text reader) to open it.

It will.

You will instantly realise that only they who are commonly referred to as computer nerds have any hope of really understanding the current conversation.
I know that's tongue-in-cheek, but we are considering usability, not technical details. One doesn't need to understand what's inside a .doc, .xls, .odt, or even more mundane, a .zip file, to discuss their features. Oh, try opening an uncompressed .svg file; unlike PDF, it has (except extensions like Inkscape's embedded images) no binary blobs, so it's much easier to parse, even in Notepad.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
I've not had much luck running Pepakura4 in Wine on Linux Mint. It runs, but I have difficulties opening files (says they're not found even though they are in the 'open' dialogue), and mouse functions in general are problematic. Running Windows programs in Wine is much like fine baking. You have to have all the correct ingredients in exactly the right amount to do it well. I'm just not invested enough in Pepakura to track down the issues.

--jeff
Old 11-23-2016, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Have not had any luck running Pepakura4 viewer (or downloading it) in Win10. Having problems getting it to recognize Pep3 viewer have to open the program, then open the file through it so its not completely a Mac issue.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Pep3 viewer, Pep3 Designer (Free), Pep4 viewer, and Pep4 designer(free), all work fine under Win10 Pro (32bit) on all three of my computers Wayne. I have them all installed and available under 'Open with', so that I can select the right one. Early .pdo files will not open in v4, and likewise .pdo files written in v4 will not open in v3, but it does tell you to use a later program.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Follow on to initial question...

For those people who like to tweak the graphics and work in the SVG format, is it more convenient to be provided with one large SVG file (which may have multiple print pages in it) or multiple SVG files where each file equals a printable page?

My reason for asking: yesterday I wrote a shell script which essentially allows me to export multi-page PDF documents from Inkscape. But creating individual printable pages in SVG format is still a manual process and I'm not sure I'll be able to automate that because of limitations in Inkscape itself.

Personally, I like the idea of providing the build instruction on a local web page and then linking both the full PDF file and the individual SVG pages to that page. I think this provides the broadest access to the model as a user could use a browser, a PDF reader or an SVG editing program to print for build.

For my 15 page model, the manual method takes about 20 minutes to create separate, printable SVG files. Is it worth the effort? Do most people print off the instruction sheets?

--jeff
Google Adsense