PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 12-03-2017, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
blender cycles render with image textures - export

So I am learning more and more about blender. I'm working on the next project and I'm about to the point where I want to dump it to a svg file so the parts can be printed and put together.

I have been building this thing with the cycles render and the fancy textures it can do. Part of this involves images used as textures. But when I go to export these with the normal export paper model addon, I cannot get any of the textures to look right.

Any ideas how to make it work as expected? Any help anyone has to offer is greatly appreciated.

Let's say I made something like this and I'm trying to export one of the objects with the hull plating on it.

That's all well and good, but even when I choose the full render option for the export all I get is this. And you can plainly see the hull plating texture is absent.
Google Adsense
Old 12-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
You may have to look for a way to bake the generated textures into bitmaps.
I don't quite recall how to do it in blender but searching for the terms "bake, textures, bitmaps, or image" may yield an answer.

this is what I came up with:
https://blender.stackexchange.com/qu...ng-cycles-bake
Old 12-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCory View Post
You may have to look for a way to bake the generated textures into bitmaps.
I don't quite recall how to do it in blender but searching for the terms "bake, textures, bitmaps, or image" may yield an answer.
Thanks. I was going down that route, but even once I bake a new texture image onto a brand new UV map, I still get the same result.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
I think the add on does not support cycles textures yet. But could be wrong about that.

About the baking: When Blender renders the baked images, you might need to save them first after baking. Before you do that they are only in memory. This issue occurs with a couple of workflows. Not sure it will help, but sure worth a try.

I also had some problems when I was working with UV mapped (regular not cycles render) textures and the addon. The solution was that the addon creates a new UV map with the new arranged texture images and I got it all mixed up. I then deleted all the UV maps I did not want except my original and then restarted the export process. Worked then.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:22 AM

I can get things to work properly in BI. But I want to use cycles due to the GPU support.

The author's wiki page for io_export_paper_model.py says that it supports cycles.

I did speak with the author last night, and he said that cycles support recently stopped working. He said it'll take an hour or so to fix and he figures he'll have it done sometime this week.

With how much time I spent on the textures, I don't really want to convert them back to BI... that'll likely take a few days. So I think I'll just keep tweaking it through the week... or begin another one.
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2017, 06:16 AM

I got word from Adam this morning that he released a new version of the addon last night. I haven't had time to work with it yet, but it is posted over here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ad...paper_model.py
Old 12-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Thanks for the update.