PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.94 MB
How to make model in format (A2) when all you have is (A3) ?

Hey, here is the question.

My local printing offices can only offer me prints to size A3 (paper format).

So when i design my models, i am bound to this size ? (A3)

Or are there any techniques to manipulate with A3 prints to make models bigger.

Like, can you glue two A3 formats together or something , so you can make bigger model in the end ?

I hope you understand me, i am very new to paper modeling. I am makeing
my first model right now. I made plans so they fit A3 format, but i am asking , for my future projects.

Thank you very much, i like your works very much.
Google Adsense
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
You basically make the parts split over multiple pages
then you cut them out and assemble them
to make assembly easier you can add tabs to the pieces
or you can join the pieces edge to edge with just glue
or you can join them edge to edge but put a strip along the back to make the join stronger.

as the designer you are definitely not limited to the size of your printer.

designs like the models at fiddler's green limited the size of the model to the biggest scale that would fit on standard paper. (that's why they are all a little bit different scale)

Remember sometimes when the model gets big enough you have to also design forms inside to add structure to the model. Lots of ship models are designed this way.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Ohh, thats good to hear. Yes i get your tips. Thanks Alot !
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Bigger than A3? Like in "A2" or similar? That is quite big.

I can imagine only a couple of models that would really require such large format. And experience has taught me that the bigger a single part is, the more troublesome it gets in every sense.

Maltedfalcon is right about the way to split parts in two or more A3 pages, and then joining them with a strip. That's the more sensible way to go for bigger parts if you are printing A3 or double letter in a laser printer.

As a designer, you have the freedom to try and design in any format. But if you plan to sell or distribute your designs to the general public, consider that not all modelers have access to huge format printers. And only recently A3 home printers have started to appear in the market.

If you are designing your model as a personal project for yourself, and really really really need to print bigger, another option is to look for a big format professional service, and to print in a color plotter. However those are ink prints (not laser). So the quality of the finish may be different. but you are definitely not restricted to page size, as it can print on rolls of paper 2 meters (6ft) by whatever length you need.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Yes I didn't mean actual size of A2 , I just used it as example. Very good post thanks, I didn't know there is an market for this kind of modeling. Can you tell / link me some more about this topic?
All best, Anze.
Google Adsense
Old 01-11-2018, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anze View Post
Yes I didn't mean actual size of A2 , I just used it as example. Very good post thanks, I didn't know there is an market for this kind of modeling. Can you tell / link me some more about this topic?
All best, Anze.
I'm not really sure if there is a market for supersized kits.
But certainly most modelers are used to (or at least know) the traditional A3
format used by Polish publishers. I don't recall previous discussions here about
large-format kits, or the possibility of designing/releasing a kit in a size larger than A3.
But what I recall is threads about the convenience of making a layout that can be
used for A3 and double letter size without changing the layout, so that modelers
of all parts of the world can use the same file. Sad thing that with the current
globalization, unified standards have yet a long way to be achieved around the globe.