PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 07-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Location: Tultepec,Estado de México; about 30 Km to downtown Mexico, City
Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
How to re-scale from 1/300 to 1/200 and save it in PDF.

Hello, I got a problem here: I just can´t find the way on how to save a recolour I done. We take for example one of Bruno´s planes, it´s an Argentinian Canberra, in 1/300 and in 1/200. How I can do that? I´m using Inkscape and don´t know if Ican do these directly with Inkscape. Any help will be appreciated.Regards.Tony.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf s&p-Canberra-1_300-mod1-ar.pdf (59.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf s&p-Canberra-1_200-mod1-ar.pdf (65.2 KB, 35 views)
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 328.38 MB
Hi Tigertony100,

I don't know if this will be of use to you but this is how I've scaled up some PDF Canon models.
I used a PDF to JPG freeware program to extract and at the same time scale up the page image. Next I used art software to edit the JPG's scaled up parts to fit A4 pages. Then, using a PDF freeware program, I changed the A4 JPG to PDF file.
You could recolour the parts as you edited them at the JPG stage.

I'm new to this form so I won't include here any links to freeware unless a moderator says it's okay to do so.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
Please could you specify your request

Hello Tony,

i can t understand your request.

You have already saved your recoloured models in PDF which is a quite favorable format.

Therefore i can't understand your request.
Would you please be so kind to specify your request.
I also use inkscape and i know it is a quite powerful tool which can save and convert many formats!

Yours sincerely

The Oldenburger
Old 07-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
To convert from 1/300 to 1/200 you print the 1/300 at 150%
Conversely to convert from 1/200 to 1/300 you print at 67%

Here is how I convert and save a 1/300 Bruno's plane to 1/200:
Open the 1/300 pdf in Adobe Reader.
Goto Edit>Take a Snapshot and highlight the parts
Click on the Print icon
Choose CutePDF Writer as the printer to save as a pdf.
Under Pages to Print make sure Selected Graphic is chosen
Under Page Sizing & Handling choose Custom Scale and set to 150%.
Print

I checked the output using the two pdf's you have attached. I took the 1/300 pdf, used the above procedure and compared it to the 1/200 pdf you attached. The output looks exactly the same. That procedure will probably work on other Bruno's planes files. You need to make sure the output will fit on the size page you want for the final product since you are most likely going to print the converted pdf using your printer. Sometimes the increase in size of the pdf will not fit within the boundaries of the margins allowed for the maximum size paper your printer can handle.

I have CutePDF Writer installed as a virtual printer so it is in the list of available printers in the Printer menu when I choose to print something and want to choose the printer to use. There are other virtual pdf printers available from other sources.

To convert from 1/300 to 1/200 you need to print at 150%
Take a Snapshot because Bruno's planes are usually not centered on the page and you do not want the parts to be off of the page margins. The Snapshot will center the selected graphics on the page.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertony100 View Post
how to save a recolour
1. Open the *.pdf in question in InkScape, select the parts and resize them according to your needs. Move them around so that they fit on the page. If a part is too big just cut it in half and move the parts around so that they fit on two pages.
2. Save your work in progress as *.svg file. This saves you some time re-editing the result.
3. To "save" the output as *.pdf you have to install a virtual PDF printer. This is a special software which enables you to create a *.pdf file from within any program that has a print function. I use PDFill:

FREE PDF Tools to Merge, Split, Encrypt, Rotate, Crop, Header, Watermark, Image to PDF, PDF to Image...

Install it and then use it as a printer: You open the file you created, go to "print" and select PDFill. Then enter a file name and destination and print the file as *.pdf. Easy peasy.
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2018, 11:58 AM

Resizing in PDF

OK, seems I don´t put it very clear my request. I don´t want to print a PDF in a larger scale. As a fact I don't have problem down/up-scale and print. What I need is to SAVE the recolour in PDF format from 1/300 to 1/200 and 1/100 that's because there is modellers who assemble in that scales(me too). and I want to shere my recolours with the community.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
A virtual pdf printer will not physically print the pdf onto paper. It will create a pdf that you can save. You can then open it with whatever pdf reader you use and then print from there to get a physical copy to cut and assemble.

Inkscape has a choice to save the page as a pdf. You need to make sure the page you opened in Inkscape is at the scale you want. I do not use Inkscaple a lot so do not know where in Inkscape there is a feature to change the percentage or if there is in fact that feature available in Inkscape.

In that example I posted there is a feature in Adobe Reader XI where you can choose a percentage that you want to print the pdf page(s). I have CutePDF Writer as a choice in the printers list available so can save the output as a pdf. Just have to make sure the parts all fit on the page size chosen. I have a large format printer and can print up to 13 inches/ 33 cm in width so I can adjust the output of CutePDF Writer to use large sheets of paper.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Doug is 100% correct.

It is up to whoever prints to print at the % they want.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:26 PM

Thank you to all of you!!! I understand that I need another program(CutePDFWriter) to do what I want. What I was doing is: in the Inkscape Screen there in the right inferior corner click the scale to 200% and save it as PDF, but for my surprise the final output remain in 1/300.(Sure, I was only enlarging the Canvas not the final output) I know that is up to whoever prints, but just think and see how PacificWind, Gomidelfilo and master CAFE presents his works. Thanks a lot and I'm going to Install,Study,Test the solutions you gave to me.Regards.Tony.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Just out of curiosity, what is the recolor that you have done?

Curt
Google Adsense