PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 01-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
See following post
Old 01-02-2019, 11:08 AM

Thanks guys. Captain, I was trying to avoid hand drafting the part since I was going to eventually need to transfer it to MS Publisher (my preferred media for designing models for publishing).
I tried the several "calculators" that were online but none seemed to meet the measurements that I was working with. Granted I didn't know that when I began the post, but I'd made some assumptions that was later proven inaccurate.

My base was a rectangle 4cmx5.6cm and the circle I was transitioning too is 4.78cm in diameter. Eventually, I settled on blender. And yes, it took an afternoon to relearn the control and key strokes I'd forgotten.

https://youtu.be/kxAvmflyI-A shows the "bridging" (the poster calls it morphing) steps needed to connect the edges of two mesh shapes.
A key point. You need to subdivide the base (rectangle or square) to equal the number of vertices of your circle to get blender to create a smooth transition.
https://youtu.be/j2I7GPpUmJM reminded me of how to modify the vertices by first dissolving those on the sides of the base and then rejoining the orphaned vertices on the circle to the corners of the base. (See Pic)
https://youtu.be/SMKQ36YIzDU and finally this link reminded me how to add a marked seam so that the uv unwrapping would trim the shape in a 2D way that I can use.
All in all it wasn't impossible just a bit time consuming compared to my other parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Making Square to Round fabrication easier-3d-part.jpg   Making Square to Round fabrication easier-uv-unwrap.jpg   Making Square to Round fabrication easier-textured.jpg  
Old 01-02-2019, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Time consuming, but achieving the desired result can be very satisfying.
Thanks for posting your solution in Blender, very interesting.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:30 AM

Just wanted to share some results to encourage those who come after.
Attached Thumbnails
Making Square to Round fabrication easier-abbe3cdd-02f1-4d32-8b88-016603a6a1dc.jpg   Making Square to Round fabrication easier-0c004da4-e744-4c30-951e-7126fbf3ebe4.jpg  
Old 01-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Great to see you've achieved this result. So further thanks for posting these images.
Google Adsense