PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 12-27-2018, 03:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Newbie seeking help, advice and suggestions

Hello everybody!

I'm completely new here and this is my first post so please forgive me if I make any mistakes or am asking in the wrong sub-forum.

I am really interested in designing and making paper models. Now I can do that for objects that have mostly straight and planar surfaces. (e.g. I had made a paper model of the Nintendo Entertainment System). But when it comes to curves and arches I am completely stumped!

I know there are quite a few softwares out there that can take a 3D model and put it onto a flat paper that I can print out and cut and join. But I don't want to do it that way. (I'm not very good with computers anyway! LOL!)

Basically I want to make this cardboard car of Cruella DeVil that was used in the 101 Dalmatians cartoon. I have literally no idea where to start. How do I plot the various curved sections correctly on paper? How can I measure such shapes correctly?

If such methods/tips/techniques have been already discussed/posted here in the forums then please direct me to them.

I would greatly greatly appreciate any sort of advice/suggestion/explanation as to how I can go about plotting/drawing this car's design on paper.

Thank you so much!

Newbie seeking help, advice and suggestions-devilmodel_car.jpg

Newbie seeking help, advice and suggestions-cruellas-car-concept-3.jpg

Newbie seeking help, advice and suggestions-cruellas-car-concept-4.jpg

Newbie seeking help, advice and suggestions-644c3c8ac8b9440c1c79d1e5c7a16f14.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Some time ago I was also interested in this car ( How a paper model was used to animate Cruella's Car )

That's a very nice item.

To answer your question: best way to do it "old school" is to start by drawing
the classical 3-views on paper.And start developing the shapes from there.

You only need to develop half of the car (one side), as the other side
would be identical but mirrored.

If you look carefully at the photos, you start to notice that only two (or three)
major components have curved shapes: the roof and the long fender that cover the wheels.

All the rest are flat surfaces (mostly) or very simple curved standard shapes.

That makes the developing a lot easier.
The hubs of the wheels are simple truncated cones.
You only need to design one of those and copy x4.

I would say that by having all flat surfaces developed and assembled from a good 3-view drawing,
curved shapes could be achieved in the classic way of trial and error.

Sure there must be some geometric solutions to them (measure the curved line of the flat side
of the fender and make sure it matches the corresponding length on the top of the fender etc.)
but sometimes for the sake of speed a "manual" fit, trim and correction is good too.

I very much would like to see a kit of this prop. Is a wonderful design.
And I believe drawing it "by hand" would be a most appropriate approach to it.

I'm sorry I didn't actually answer your question, but I hope you get the idea.
It is basically a matter of developing simple shapes. The old principles of geometry apply.

And don't be afraid. After all, Curved surfaces are nothing but a succession of small flat surfaces.

Here I found a photo showing how the card models for the film were made by hand:

Last edited by Rubenandres77; 12-27-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Adding information.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I probably am not the one to ask. I do a lot of trial and error.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you so much Rubenandres77!!! Your reply is super helpful! I was delighted to learn that someone other than myself was also interested in this car model. I actually also learned about this car from Andreas Deja's blog (which I follow ardently!) It really is a rather simple but beautiful and elegant model and that is why I became obsessed with trying to make a model of it.

Your advice and suggestions were super helpful! I didn't know about plotting the 3-views on paper. Thanks to you, now I know where to start from! Also your suggestion about using trial and error for some of the more difficult curves makes total sense.

I have seen and saved many pics of the DeVil car model but I had never seen that pic you posted of the car being made. Seeing some of those unassembled pieces helps even more! I think that is Woolie Reitherman assembling the car model.

Thank you so much once again for all your help @Rubenandres77. I really appreciate it!

On a slightly separate note, can you give me some ideas/tips/suggestions on how I can go about creating a paper model of an object (like a toy) that I have? I have this really nice toy car that I had since childhood and I would like to make a paper model copy of it. It also has some curved shapes here and there. Nothing too extreme though. But I just wanted to know if there is a specific way of measuring the shapes of an object that you have in hand and plotting them on paper.

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2018, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
One way is use cardstock and create a profile curve which takes a lot of trial and error cutting. Similar but uses a profile gauge. This is a holder with a bunch of wires that is fitted over a surface, then traced onto sheet metal, paper. Some hardware stores might carry it or a automotive paint and body shop store. I think Michael's craft stores used to carry them also. I had a really nice one that I got from a metal fabrication supply years ago that unfortunately got stolen. It was sort of overkill for most model work, but I used to do some auto restoration work and it was great for that.
Google Adsense