PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Old 02-21-2021, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Illegal repaints? There is nothing illegal about repainting a model.
It is piracy when you reshare the model, or share the repaint.

Its nice to give customers clean, high res vector artwork...
it allows high quality printing and better looking models.

It allows resizing without loss of quality.
It allows editing for personal reasons.

But it also allows easier editing for the purpose of piracy.

And yet, I am amazed at the amount of low quality low resolution raster copies of pirated kits out there.
It just goes to show, that those who pirate models are not really interested in "sharing".
These losers are just interested in getting credit for being a file sharer
and/or earning revenue by using pirated materials as bait to their website.
They don't care about the model or its quality, or what you've done to protect it.

If your model is in demand, then it will be a target for piracy by these losers, no matter what you do to it.

Reducing the quality of your product (rasterizing your pages) just hurts you.
Don't do it unless your files can tolerate that kind of effect without loss of quality.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
I just watched your video Prabal. Great work. How did you do the stop motion thing? Very interesting approach!

Chris
Old 02-25-2021, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Steganization software...
Old 02-25-2021, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 310.52 MB
@ airdave

Sir, your points are very much valid. I think I will keep my files as vectors. It's better to maintain that standard of quality. No point in sacrificing quality just to prevent piracy.

@Papierschnitzel

Thank you so much Sir! I used an app on my tablet called "stop-motion" to make that video. It didn't turn out very well as it was my first attempt. Will make my future videos better. This kind of an animation gives life to the Papermodel. They feel "alive" to the viewer...

You have to move the object a fixed distance everytime and take photos. The app helps a lot in the timing. I took 746 photos for the video on YouTube...

Regards,
Prabal
Old 02-26-2021, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Guys, life involves risk. Piracy isn't just limited to Paper Models. We have to fight it, but you any time you put out any product you risk bad actors. You just have to have a good product and build relationships with potential customers so they appreciate your work and don't steal from you!
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2021, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I wonder if we are blowing the pirate issue out of proportion. As Airdave and Murph can testify, you will not be making a living off of paper model sales. Design and publish what you want, but remember that it's your hobby, not your main source of income. Ever heard of Sumoto? He had a fine site with great designs, then one day just walked away. Apparently he just wasn't making enough money to justify the expense. There are so many free models now available on the internet, that there is no reason to steal models from pirate sites. Back before the internet, we used to have to rely on mail order and brick and mortor stores for our kits, and it was not unusual to pay $50 or more for a model. But you got high quality printing on quality paper (except for MM kits). As a "semiprofessional paper modeler", I could justify this expense a few times a year. These models make up the bulk of models now on pirate sites. Murph and AirDave and many other kit designer today only charge around $10 for their kits, and very few of their models can be found on the pirate sites. It's just not worth it to steal kits when they are reasonably priced. A clean conscience doesn't cost that much these days. You won't get rich designing models, but you will get much respect from this peer group. And that might be your best reward.

Sorry for the rambling, just some idle thoughts.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post

What I would really like is some hidden code that deletes the file if you try to make a copy or upload it to the interwebs!
A self-destruct mechanism built in! lol

This paper model, if you choose to pirate it, will self destruct in 5 seconds. Good luck Mr Phelps.
What? no malware inserted into the computer trying to upload? You know like the those smart phone scan images that tell the computer to check out and download the latest ransom ware.

Self destruct code to the scanner using same scan code above.

A small vial embedded in the paper that release glass etching chemicals to destroy the scanner glass?

Or better yet, paper that shoots out Gorilla glue that instantly is attracted to hair, causing the person scanning to wear it until they visit a hospital for removal.

Just saying......

Mike
Old 02-26-2021, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.28 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
What? no malware inserted into the computer trying to upload? You know like the those smart phone scan images that tell the computer to check out and download the latest ransom ware.

Self destruct code to the scanner using same scan code above.

A small vial embedded in the paper that release glass etching chemicals to destroy the scanner glass?

Or better yet, paper that shoots out Gorilla glue that instantly is attracted to hair, causing the person scanning to wear it until they visit a hospital for removal.

Just saying......

Mike
Old 02-26-2021, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.28 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
I wonder if we are blowing the pirate issue out of proportion. As Airdave and Murph can testify, you will not be making a living off of paper model sales. Design and publish what you want, but remember that it's your hobby, not your main source of income. Ever heard of Sumoto? He had a fine site with great designs, then one day just walked away. Apparently he just wasn't making enough money to justify the expense. There are so many free models now available on the internet, that there is no reason to steal models from pirate sites. Back before the internet, we used to have to rely on mail order and brick and mortor stores for our kits, and it was not unusual to pay $50 or more for a model. But you got high quality printing on quality paper (except for MM kits). As a "semiprofessional paper modeler", I could justify this expense a few times a year. These models make up the bulk of models now on pirate sites. Murph and AirDave and many other kit designer today only charge around $10 for their kits, and very few of their models can be found on the pirate sites. It's just not worth it to steal kits when they are reasonably priced. A clean conscience doesn't cost that much these days. You won't get rich designing models, but you will get much respect from this peer group. And that might be your best reward.

Sorry for the rambling, just some idle thoughts.
Hi Kevin,
I absolutely agree with you and you have unlocked the secrets of the papermodeling universe where we all co-exists. The designers, the builders, the hoarders and the pirates. It was a shock to know that Jeremiah's skylinepapermodels site just vanished in thin air (taking consideration that he got himself to fly cargo delivering Jumbo Jet and was working day & night), it is true that no designers have earned sufficient to cover over their expenses till date. Some buyers are generous which keep the hobby alive for the designers, many are diverted to pirate sites.

The remedy has been disclosed by you to tag the price reasonable, offer in bulk and gift some to recurring customers to keep the hobby alive and on-going.

You made my day and I guess many have experienced the same after reading your post here.

Thank you once again.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 484.03 MB
Unfortunately, piracy is never avoided by any author. When I worked as a graphic designer for the GP Team (Formula 1 models), we published our models first printed. Even so, there were always "clever" people who at least scanned them and spread the scans, despite the deteriorating quality. If we pointed out that they were stealing, they laughed at us.
Now that I work for my studio, I've come to terms with the fact that someone always steals my job. I do not aim to make a living from it, it is enough for me if the earnings from the models pay me the cost of construction and also pay the models of other authors for my needs. I make models mainly for fun - myself and others.

Catalogue of my models
Google Adsense