PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Designers helping designers

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I sympathize with you Dave, but I fear you are part of a lost war. I noticed someone made digital copies of my books and offers them at gloomy sites. It’s a sad world in which people rather steal than reward the creator of products they are interested in.
But it won’t stop me from doing what I do. In traffic there are all sorts of hooligans making the roads unsafe. But that won’t withhold me from using the roads. I just ignore these persons.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The war is only "lost" when those who stand on the right side of both the law and civil behavior wring their hands and throw in the towel. I don't consider the war to be lost at all, and obviously Dave doesn't either. His actions are to be applauded and encouraged.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Absolutely. But will it help really?
Old 07-28-2021, 11:42 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
We are educating the masses, new and old papermodlelers alike
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-11-2022, 04:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 152.23 MB
Hello everyone!

I agree with all Members (and Guests).
At the same moment, lets remember, who "setting the main rules" in this totally creasy world use exactlly the paper and has suggested to everyone that this is "money", i.e. value before they are even made...
In this context, the word "lost war" very well describes exactly where we are.

My 5 cents!
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2022, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoyle View Post
The war is only "lost" when those who stand on the right side of both the law and civil behavior wring their hands and throw in the towel. I don't consider the war to be lost at all, and obviously Dave doesn't either. His actions are to be applauded and encouraged.
... ditto
Old 02-11-2022, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 152.23 MB
Despite the seemingly complete "superiority" of the Evil Empires around, it is the worthy People who keep the World in balance.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I sympathize with you as well.

I have purchased several of my models from EcardModels and while its a good resource and I have been mostly happy with the quality of the models I have purchased, most of the most desirable firms products are not available through them being that it's digital download.

And while I have over the years purchased many models from Paper Models International, even visiting his "storefront" before he left the business for good, and have bought many models online from GPM and even Mr Halinski himself and then paid the abusive shipping costs and waited weeks or longer for them to arrive, it has now got to the point where many of the models are just not available for any price due to being out of print, etc.

I am not saying its right to download pirated models and I agree with the original poster that those are usually garbage. However, those that design and sell the real deal need to make a better effort to ensure that the real items are available, and especially for those of us on the other side of the pond have access to those models.

I would be more than willing to purchase an authorized digital download of a Halinski from someone like EcardModels, accepting that the quality wouldn't be as good as an actual printed version. Or, better yet, if there was a printing house in the US that would be willing to reprint on demand said models and then ship them within the US for a reasonable price.

The bigger issue is that so many of the models are not available because of out of print status with seemingly no date when more will be reprinted. Those that rip off and pirate models and those that use them are in my opinion a nuisance, but the person that would build a Halinski or a GPM would not be satisfied with a pirated kit anyway due to the poor quality of the file and parts not fitting, etc.

Printing costs money, and inventory costs money which means models need to be in demand enough that it becomes profitable to do a production run of several hundred or several thousand prints. For certain subjects there will always be a demand, but it might be worth considering as an option licensing quality print shops to do copies on demand for older models or in locations where the cost of shipping make purchasing the real thing outrageous. In my opinion this problem needs to be solved so that designers are making money off of their designs, models are being sold, and customers have access to older models for which printed copies no longer exist.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-11-2023 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-11-2023, 03:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
I sympathize with you as well.

I have purchased several of my models from EcardModels and while its a good resource and I have been mostly happy with the quality of the models I have purchased, most of the most desirable firms products are not available through them being that it's digital download.

And while I have over the years purchased many models from Paper Models International, even visiting his "storefront" before he left the business for good, and have bought many models online from GPM and even Mr Halinski himself and then paid the abusive shipping costs and waited weeks or longer for them to arrive, it has now got to the point where many of the models are just not available for any price due to being out of print, etc.

I am not saying its right to download pirated models and I agree with the original poster that those are usually garbage. However, those that design and sell the real deal need to make a better effort to ensure that the real items are available, and especially for those of us on the other side of the pond have access to those models.

I would be more than willing to purchase an authorized digital download of a Halinski from someone like EcardModels, accepting that the quality wouldn't be as good as an actual printed version. Or, better yet, if there was a printing house in the US that would be willing to reprint on demand said models and then ship them within the US for a reasonable price.

The bigger issue is that so many of the models are not available because of out of print status with seemingly no date when more will be reprinted. Those that rip off and pirate models and those that use them are in my opinion a nuisance, but the person that would build a Halinski or a GPM would not be satisfied with a pirated kit anyway due to the poor quality of the file and parts not fitting, etc.

Printing costs money, and inventory costs money which means models need to be in demand enough that it becomes profitable to do a production run of several hundred or several thousand prints. For certain subjects there will always be a demand, but it might be worth considering as an option licensing quality print shops to do copies on demand for older models or in locations where the cost of shipping make purchasing the real thing outrageous. In my opinion this problem needs to be solved so that designers are making money off of their designs, models are being sold, and customers have access to older models for which printed copies no longer exist.

This all sounds pretty sensible. Worth remembering that music and film piracy massively decreased when affordable and accessible streaming platforms started up. Unfortunately ours is a niche hobby and there may be no financial incentive to offering kits via download vs the traditional way of printing and distributing them as books.

The best we can hope for in the meantime is that new digitally-available kits become available that match the quality and detail of the most desirable print editions. Personally I would appreciate this ability this brings to downscale a large kit, something that cannot really be done easily with a print. In the meantime, all these reasons are why I mainly purchase decent but moreorless simple kits and add a lot of scratchbuilt details. I can make a Marek or even a S&P look like something approaching a Halinski without spending a fortune, having to take care not to ruin the only copy of a kit, being able to add as much level of detail as I wish and being able to build in 72nd or 48th scale that I actually have space to display.
Old 07-11-2023, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I have to disagree with you.
Just because a kit is "out of print" does not make it fair game for piracy.
In fact, you have no right to expect designers and/or publishers to make a kit more available...or eternally available...or available at all.

Its a privalege to get a model when it is available, and if you miss it, oh well.

If a publisher puts out a model for a limited time, or goes out of business, or just decides to not distribute a model any more, then you must accept that its gone.

You should have bought it (or downloaded it for free) when it was available.
Those who decide to pirate it after that, are just thieves.

Free models are pirated, so its not about money.
Widely distributed models are pirated, so its not about access.
The arguments that because a model is "out of print" or "no longer available" come from thieves trying to justify their piracy.
Closed Thread