PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 06-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
I have had my eye on this one as well for some time.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello!
The cranes go ahead with the construction of the two cabins. I've also built a simple interior and I want to put the crane operators: for this, I will use some plastic figures in Z scale which I have ordered and are on their way to my home. Thus, I will place the cranes on hold until the delivery of the figures and I will begin the train.

Cheers,
Tommaso
Attached Thumbnails
HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-c-h1.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-c-h2.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-c-h3.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-c-h4.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-c-h5.jpg  

- HMV EGV Berlin 1:250
Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Hello!
The figures are not yet there, and instead of the train I've opted to build first the cart with horses and the truck.
The horses are actually available on paper (see pic. 1, together with the seagulls), but they look quite bi-dimensional and I'll probably wait for the plastic figures.

Cheers,
Tommaso
Attached Thumbnails
HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e1.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e2.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e3.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e4.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e5.jpg  

HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e6.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e7.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e8.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e9.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-e10.jpg  

Old 06-25-2012, 02:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Nice truck. Good job for such a tiny model!

Was it easy or not? Looks pretty small and fiddly to me!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
Fantastic!!!!!!!!
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I have now received my kit.

Hot dog! It's tiny compared to what I thought.

Tommaso - two questions.

1. Did you reinforce any other parts other then the actual (sea) base?

2. A lot of parts have no tabs at all. Is this correct? They get glued without tabs being used?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Hi Kevin,
I'm glad you received your kit, have fun!!
The truck is not difficult, the parts are small but there are a few of them.

Coming to your questions:

- The only reinforced part is the sea base, which I glued on a 1mm cardboard. The other parts are exactly as they are in the kit.

- Concerning the tabs, HMV kits have in fact a lot of parts without them. The main advantage in using a tabless design is the smoother joints that you can achieve, since a tab always introduces a "step" in the joint, where one edge is glued on top of the other. This is especially true for the parts which have to be rolled; in the other cases, I think it's often a matter of tastes. In my personal experience, sometimes I use the part as-is with a butt joint and sometimes I add a tab (either a normal one, or an "inner" tab which I glue from the inside on both edges).

I have found some old threads that discuss the matter and give some useful advice, e.g.
What is the difference between tabs and no-tabs?
models without "tabs"
Models with and without tabs!!!!!!??
Models without tabs

I hope this was helpful.
Cheers,
Tommaso
Old 07-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Hi all!
In the last two weeks I have been a bit busy and the progress in the model has been inconstant.
To begin with, there is no trace of the delivery of the figures: the shipment is probably lost and it looks like most of the shops have run out of 1:220 unpainted figures

Thus, I began the train. The first wagon is the locomotive, which is a BR94. This remarkable piece is less than 5cm long, but it's made of 105 normal and 33 LC parts and represents quite a challenge.

Here you see the parts and the first step of the construction.
Attached Thumbnails
HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-a1.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-a2.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-a3.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-a4.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-a5.jpg  

HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-a6.jpg  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:42 PM

The linkages make large use of the LC parts. The detail set is really useful in this case, since the parts are very small. Each linkage is made of several parts: a long red coupling rod, two connection rods (one gray and one red) and several smaller pieces.
Unfortunately there is a flaw in the design of the connection rods, as you can see in the pictures 3-5. The different position of the wheels on the right and left sides requires the connection rods to have a different shape; this is correctly implemented in the paper parts, but in the LC kit there is no difference between left and right.
Furthermore, the red parts are both right-sided, while the grey parts are both left-sided: an adjustment was therefore necessary to combine the parts correctly.
In figures 6-8 you can see the result.

By the way, this flaw was solved in the LC set of the newer "Hafenbahn 1" kit by HMV, which features the same locomotive and is shown in picture 9.
Attached Thumbnails
HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-b1.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-b2.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-b3.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-b4.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-b5.jpg  

HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-b6.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-b7.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-b8.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-b9.jpg  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:55 PM

The construction continues with the boiler (1-6) and the cab (7-9).
I want to put a figure inside the cab, so the roof of the cab must wait

Cheers,
Tommaso
Attached Thumbnails
HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-c1.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-c2.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-c3.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-c4.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-c5.jpg  

HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-c6.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-d1.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-d2.jpg   HMV Hamburger Hafen Diorama 1:250-f-d3.jpg  
Google Adsense