PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 07-10-2016, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi friends,
thanks for all the interesting additions on SF and the article. Not a member but I'll try and dig into it.

@ Dave, time travel, huh? That is something I also really like. What about "There will be time" from Poul Anderson? He wrote a couple of very exciting modern time travel stories, I really liked..
For the rest, I also am drawn to the more absurd SF from R.A.Lafferty. "900 Grandmothers" is a nice book of weird shorts. "Wasp" by E.F. Russell is also a great story. The one I have enjoyed from my childhood years on are the Ringworld books by Larry Niven. And the Hichhikers Guide is also a wonderful read, of course.

The great thing about SF is that sme things can be left unexplained. Alien technology, so not grasped by us puny humans. Like an improbability drive.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Sci fi is one of my favorite literary genres. The other favorite is nonfiction transportation: space, railroads, planes, boats.
There are reasons I won't go in to that I can't read nearly as much sci-fi as in the past.

Way back in 8th grade in 1970s school library had a book of Star Trek short stories and a book of general sci fi short stories. Don't remember the title of either book.
My favorite from the general sci fi book was titled Thingamajig.
In Star Trek book was one story where it began with, or in first couple sentences had "the ship was beautiful". That got me thinking, okay, what would a beautiful ship look like to me: what would come out of my own mind and being?
Several sketches later a naval architecture style had been settled on.
Next thought was, who are these people and what is their story?
So I started tinkering at writing and drawing. Is fun when your characters sort of take on lives of their own.
And one wonders where the ideas come from. Okay, yes, they come from imagination often influenced by real people and events.
But, really, where do people invent worlds, cultures, personalities, from whole cloth?
How does that invention, creation, happen?

Oh, and even though instigated by Star Trek, my story is not Star Trek -- the engineering is only casually dealt with.
There are no engineering details on how starship drives work, only the visual and functional effects are described.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:23 PM

The tutorial is online, but you have to scroll through all other previous tricks and tips first. Hopefully you find it interesting. I am open for improvement suggestions when something isn't clear enough.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Well-deserved POTW. It was a pleasure reading through the posts and following the build. Your technique and explanations are excellent. I especially like the destroyed Tripod and the realistic flames billowing from it.

Phil
Old 07-24-2016, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Your diorama is truly fantastic! I especially enjoyed it, because The War of Worlds was my introduction to SF as a kid in the 1940s. Though, my all-time favorite writer was Doc E Smith. He could build a whole universe in minute detail by tweaking the readers imagination. I have all his published novels in my library and after reading all this commentary, I think I will read them all again. Maybe I'll go back and read The War of Worlds also.
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2016, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.73 MB
Wounderful diorama. I never read the novel but heard the album from Jeff Wayne and always thougt that the Album Cover would give a great inspiration for a model. You done a exellent job. I look forward to visit yor blog to find out how you done the fire and the water, they ad so much atmosphere to yor diorama.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:30 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Thank you so much for the build photos and descriptions here and on your blog! I'm really looking forward to trying out some of the techniques you describe.

Wonderful work!
--David
Old 07-24-2016, 01:35 PM

Why, thank you all. Your comments make me smile and happy.
As for the tutorials on my blog, If you want to ask about something or when something isn't clear, don't hesitate to ask! I am always open for improvements.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
Really cool! Love your tripod design. Reminiscent of the Classics Illustrated's more atom punk version, but definitely capturing the steampunk feel of the material. I agree, these feel more dynamic than the more stiff legged version by Mike Trim. I also think your ship choice of a light cruiser worked great for the shallow water were it takes place. Was the orginal design request thread any inspiration or help?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Wicked! Excellent all the way around! Very convincing!
Google Adsense