PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 03-21-2018, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Not much physical progress. I cut out enough horse blanks for the second horse and am working on the design for the horse team hook-up. I found a few diagrams that will help a lot. I think that I will stick with the 4 horse team for the white carriage. I will just add the load bearing straps to the horses, along with the reins. With the horses not being sculpted, I think the other tack items would not look very good.
Attached Thumbnails
White hart inn revisited-20180320_210147.jpg   White hart inn revisited-20180320_210155.jpg   White hart inn revisited-20180320_210215.jpg   White hart inn revisited-20180320_210222.jpg  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I had no idea that rigging (is that the right term?) up a horse team to a wagon is so complex. You've got some work ahead of you but I have no doubt that you can do it John. Still watching the development of this diorama as it grows and evolves.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Well, the harnessing of horse power took the right technology ... still does today :-)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:53 PM

I never realized it either. I used to ride a lot, but you only had to worry about a saddle and bridle. In my research, I found that originally, a four horse team had to have 2 drivers (one for each two horse pair), because each horse had a separate set of reins. That means each driver held two sets of reins and had to individually control each horse. Not a job that I would want. With the invention of the set up in the diagrams, one driver could now control 6 horses (possibly 8, but I would not want to push the envelope that far).
Old 03-28-2018, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Hey John! Good to see someone can still get at makin' some clippings!
Sometimes the research into a subject can be as much fun ,and interesting, as creating the model! Have a great day, and hope to talk to you soon!
George
Google Adsense
Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 PM

I have been sort of winging this diorama, letting it lead me down the road. My plan has finally gelled and here is a description of what the final product should look like. I am sure there will be minor changes (small details added), but the general description will hold true. The footprint will be approximately 22 inches by 34 inches. Placing the 22 inch side in front of you. with the 34 inch side leading away from you, the Guild Hall and White Hart Inn will be in the lower right hand corner. The Clock Tower of Jake's Corner will be in the upper left hand corner. A curving dirt road, starting near the lower left corner and ending near the upper right corner, will leave the two buildings on opposite sides of the road. I stone surfaced courtyard will surround the Guild/Inn building on three sides. I may add a well for the horses, but then I may not. ??? The long rear side of the building will be bordered by grass. The Clock Tower will have a smaller stone surfaced courtyard in front of the building and extending around the left side. Road traffic will be busy. There will be the Fancy Coach, pulled by 4 horses, coming from the direction of London, followed by two villagers, each leading a pack horse. From the other direction, you will see two freight wagons, each pulled by 2 horses, followed in the distance by a unicorn with a female villager riding sidesaddle. In the Guild/Inn courtyard will be 1 Fodor coach ( all coaches will have two horses) 1 straight sided Tudor coach and 2 slant sided Tudors of different colors. The coaches will all have small freight loads and there will be two or three villagers with hand carts heading for the coaches. In the courtyard of the Clock Tower you will see 1 Tudor carriage (two horses) and a merchants wagon (two horses) set up for a sales effort of cloth and tea (maybe some other items). There will be numerous villagers wondering about. Some working; some not.

The wheels and the horses are the time consumers, along with the tack harnesses for the horses. Each wheel is 10 layers and each horse is 14 layers. This alone could drain my supply of Tullamore Dew. The other time consumer is the egg crate bracing I use for the inside of the buildings. My goal is to have the whole thing assembled by Sept 1, so that I will still have good weather to build the cover for it. Well, there is the plan, but as the old military axiom states, "The best plan never survives first contact with the enemy".
Old 04-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Currently, I am working on two more coaches and the Guild/Inn building. I hope to start the Clock Tower next month. After I finish it, I will post the names of the designers of the various items and where I found them. So far, all kits have gone together very well. The only problems are the ones caused by my modifications. When you add layers, you add thickness and you need to plan ahead on how to minimize the results. In the early stages, I did not do that and I have a bit of flat forehead syndrome from banging my head on the table top.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:10 PM

No, I did not quit the project; a lot of real life stuff got in the way. I am now able to grab a little time, here and there, to work on the important things. I am currently working on paperschnitzel's market wagon. I am applying the layering bit and doing a bit of kit bashing also. I am using VK's wheels, because my village has only one wheelwright, so the wagons built locally would all sport the same wheel design. I have thickened the wagon tongue, by adding two more layers and am going to take the storage box from paperschnitzel's travel wagon and add three on them to the blank side of the market wagon. I think the tinkerer would have taken emergency feed for his horses. Anyway, here is where I am in the assembly process. Photo 1 shows the "kit" development and Photo 2 shows the current stage of assembly. Hopefully, I will have some further progress in the next couple of days. I am also still working on two of VK's wagon efforts ( the blue straight sided Tudor coach and the "Washington" restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
White hart inn revisited-20180425_215837.jpg   White hart inn revisited-20180426_225501.jpg  
Old 04-29-2018, 08:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The wagon parts look mighty fine.

Don
Old 04-29-2018, 09:14 PM

Thanks, Don,

The model is well designed and fits together nicely. I like the hinges and door pull (on the wagon door) so much that I plan to use them elsewhere in the diorama.
Google Adsense