PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 09-09-2017, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
I have been spending my time on how to recess the large double doors on the Guild Hall. In keeping with my original plan of only using the details available on the model, I decided to modify the open Archway recess details. Using the photo as a visual explanation guide, I printed out a copy of the Archway parts shown in the photo as A: 1 & 2.; I cut out all of A2 and the straight long portion of A1; adding a tab along the bottom of the part (See B). I then cut out a piece of A1 containing 2 of the curve links to use as a blind connecting tab and cut the end tab off the end tab off the curving end of A2.

I then glued the straight piece of A1 to the curving end of A2 using the blind tab (See C). My final modification was to cut C in half, lengthwise and glue one half on top of the other (See D).

Using the copy function on my printer, I made a sheet of the modified Archway recessing parts, which I will use to recess all the double doors in the Guild Hall. I hope to get at least one wall finished tomorrow to test the effect.
Attached Thumbnails
White hart inn revisited-20170909_234812.jpg  
Old 09-10-2017, 04:47 PM

The first wall is finished. The modified strip worked. The photos show the steps taken to make the finished product. I use the stone floor of the Archway Interior to make the entry way floor. In this assembly, I glued the floor strip to the top of the bottom tab of the wall. I think the assembly might be easier, if the stone floor strip is glued to the bottom of the archway first (completing the archway and making a more rigid sub-assembly for gluing to the edges of the archway opening in the wall). I glued the upper story lattice work to the wall before gluing the door assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
White hart inn revisited-20170910_135721.jpg   White hart inn revisited-20170910_165105.jpg   White hart inn revisited-20170910_175503.jpg  
Old 09-10-2017, 05:22 PM

Here is a closeup of the doorway.
Attached Thumbnails
White hart inn revisited-20170910_175556.jpg  
Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
John,
I like what you've done with VK's model. Another great build in the works!
George
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 AM

Thanks, George.

I love details and VK's model is LOADED with it. I'll have to show you pictures, sometime, of the last Christmas Village that I set up using Dept 56 buildings and HO trains. It ended up being 26 feet by 19 feet containing about 130 buildings, almost 200 cars/trucks , countless street lights/fire plugs/stop lights/Christmas decorations/boats/docks/and other details. Two and a half years in the building. (Oh, I forgot the 8 trains and a trolly and a mountain with a ski lift)

John
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Well, if you set it up this year, you can send us this year's photos. Sounds nice
Old 09-11-2017, 08:41 PM

Unfortunately, I will not be able to do that. I left it up for 5 years and two summers ago, my Granddaughter and I took it apart and packed it away. It took almost 4 weeks, working every day about 8 hours to dismantle it. Even with the photos to guide me, without a lot of extra help, it would take me several months to set it up. If I started tomorrow, and worked every day for 8 hours, I probably would not have it assembled until about April or May of next year. The wiring was a nightmare! If I had been inspected by the Fire Dept, they probably would have shut me down, simply because they would not have been able to trace circuits. I put it together using an ammeter and a volt meter. When a circuit reached 13 amps, I closed that one out and started on a new circuit. Never had an overload. Later on towards Christmas, I'll start a new thread in "Other Things We Do" and try to let everyone know that I posted the pictures. In the meantime, I gotta finish this baby. (only 240 more spoked wheels to cut out; plus, of course, the building)

John
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM

My reasoning on the door depth was probably over-thinking. I was thinking that since this is the Guild Hall, the stone masons would want to show off their skill and build thick stout wall. The placement of the doors was based on security. I assumed that normal security of doors at this time in history is still based on the drop bar or draw bar against the interior side of the door. Following this reasoning, I also assumed the door would be massive, with the interior side matching up with the interior wall (for the drop bars). Looking at the thickness of the wall of the archway, I arbitrarily came up with my recess depth. A bit round the pond, so to speak.

I have made a little progress. I have all the trim on the Fodor coach body and drivers seat; I have one wheel assembled; I have the second story facade cut out for the front wall; and I have the hinges and window under trim installed on the small window of the front wall. Finally, I am assembling the recess frame around the entry door. Note that I have installed the hinges and the door pull handle. That's the second handle! The first handle I dropped while painting it (never found it), so I made a new one. Then I realized that I had started gluing the door upside down and had to pull that apart. At this point I stopped and poured myself a Tullamore Dew and watched the news. Then I realized that what I was watching was not helping my frame of mind, so I turned it and went back to model building. Now I hope you are all as confused as I am.
Attached Thumbnails
White hart inn revisited-20170912_175649.jpg   White hart inn revisited-20170912_175707.jpg   White hart inn revisited-20170912_175717.jpg   White hart inn revisited-20170912_175743_001.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
John,
It looks great. I'm not too confused, beyond normal, but, can I say that I am and join you in a toast?
George
Old 09-13-2017, 02:29 PM

To Your Health, Wealth and Welfare! Clink! Drink! Fling! Smash!!!
Google Adsense