PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Diorama

Old 06-11-2018, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 617.34 MB
Temple of the Forbidden Eye

This being my very first post of a project I made is a bit daunting. So here goes! I am building this to add to my O scale train set. The model can be found on the Disney Experience site. The Disney Experience

The Temple is quite a project with 491 pieces. The finished width is 13 inches, height 21 inches and the depth is 16 inches.That being said, it is a little too large for my train layout. At first, I tried several printer settings to get it down to fit into my available real estate. I wound up printing two pages per sheet and went to work. That gave me something about 13 inches high and about 8 inches on the sides. (And saved on paper!)

The directions are very important on this build. I often built a part then had an "ah ha" moment and printed out the part again. Mine is made of 65 lb. card. I have a few more in progress photos for the next post.
Thanks-
Attached Thumbnails
Temple of the Forbidden Eye-img_2395.jpg   Temple of the Forbidden Eye-img_2392.jpg   Temple of the Forbidden Eye-img_2394.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Great! Glad to see you've started a build thread. Nice work on the dome.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks good so far.

Don
Old 06-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Welcome!

You're right, the temple is really B. I. G. big for an O gauge environment.

I used it as-is for several years on my Christmas display since I needed to fill the space while I worked on other things. When the time came to rebuild it, I scaled it back to a model about 40% of the original size:

Have fun!

Becky
Old 06-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
The temple looks Great.
Would be fabulous terrain for an Indiana Jones roleplaying game.
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2018, 06:14 PM

A bit more of my temple build

Winding up my work on the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. As it is destined for an O gauge train layout I may need to make the steps removable. Tight fit between the tracks!
As the build progressed, I discovered, by reading the instructions, that numbers were printed on parts indicating the part they were to connect with. Very helpful point! I thought they were something I dribbled on the paper.
Some platforms have squared edges and others have rolled edges. I tried to color all edges to eliminate white lines. Lastly, I used some "underbrush" foam foliage to cover my slip sups and increase the impact of the model. I also stuck in a few plastic snakes for excitement.
All in all, a very enjoyable build that gives great results. (I can not determine if the designer has made any other models)
This will be added to the three haunted mansions, Nautilus, Hooks Pirate Ship and my monorail.
Becky is an inspiration!
Mike

Last edited by Phrog Phlyer; 06-19-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Hey, where did my photos go?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Great model and beautiful build. One can almost see the jungle monkeys hopping about. :-)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:24 PM

A bit more of my temple build, with photos I hope!!!

Maybe I got the photo attaching thing sort of worked out. I do want to be able to insert information or comments on the photo itself, so I will keep working at it. The sticky seems a good place to start. : How To: post pictures to a thread
Sorry for the amateurish confusion!
The first photo shows the different styles of decks/layers. Second is my method of assembling the layers. (Using 3/4 inch bar stock as weights and building assistants.) 3. is rolling the edge on some of the layers. 4-folding the top dome, 5 is my attempt to cover up as many mistakes as I can! The last view (6) is a general over view of the completed Temple, Slightly modified for fit and function on the layout.
I also put a few little green snakes in the foliage. "It always has to be snakes"'I want to work in a few photos of the grand kids. They really enjoy finding themselves in the layout.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Temple of the Forbidden Eye-img_3086.jpg   Temple of the Forbidden Eye-img_3089.jpg   Temple of the Forbidden Eye-img_2429.jpg   Temple of the Forbidden Eye-img_3094.jpg   Temple of the Forbidden Eye-img_3617-2-.jpg  

Temple of the Forbidden Eye-img_3618.jpg  
Old 06-21-2018, 06:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Well done!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:35 AM

Thanks Becky, you are quite an inspiration!
Google Adsense

Tags
disney, indiana jones, temple