PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > eric_son's Projects

Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
The general rule/guideline with roundels on V tails is that they are on the "outside" of the tail, as you have shown in your image above.

Granted, for an airshow or somesuch, roundels can be seen on the inside of the V, as was done with Fouga Magisters on occasions when they were flown by the Patrouille de France, among others. But, those are rare occasions. Operational aircraft in wartime would have the roundel as you show it.

Regarding the Hakenkreuz on the mainplane, it seemed to me that the centerline lengthwise of the Hakenkreuz had been aligned parallel to the centerline of the wing root, which would then have the effect of distorting the Hakenkreuz both visually, positionally, and proportionately as you discovered. I do not know enough about Metasequoia to be certain, but I would suspect such an alignment to be a relic of the early "baseline" programming that Metasequoia has been written around or from.

I hope the information helps, as I am greatly enjoying seeing your model come into existence.

Kind and Respectful regards Eric_Son my friend, Uyraell.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Thanks for the confirmation on the roundels for V-Tail configurations.

On the HK placement -- it took me a while get the alignment right. What I did was to set META to display the side view of the model along the YZ axis.
I then switched to Inkscape and rotated in increments until the HK looked "correct".
Anyway, it does look correct when viewed from the side. But the moment I rotate the model a bit, the image becomes slightly distorted.

I guess the only way to find out is to do that test build.

But that will have to wait till next weekend though.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 AM

I'll certainly be looking forwards to seeing the model in the cardboard, so to speak.
Not only an unusual, but rare subject, and not one I recall seeing modelled before.
I know a couple of versions of the Me. P 1101 exist, along with several of the Ta.183, but yours is the first Me. P1106R I have seen.

You are more than welcome regarding the roundels info. After all, this forum is very much about helping our brethren here when we are able to, and I am glad to have helped.

Kind and Respectful Regards Eric_Son my friend, Uyraell.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Other V-Tail thoughts

Often, 'twin tail' designs will have markings on the inside and the outside (F/A-18 Hornet comes to mind.) Since this is fictional, that area could be used for markings such as unit, kill scoreboard or "nose art". One aspect of the USAAF vs. Luftwaffe was that the Luftwaffe was a more 'professional' organization at least at the beginning of the war, but as time went by, the decreasing age (read "maturity") and declining experience levels made them more like their USAAF counterparts in those areas. So, more frequent appearance of nose art would be a logical conjecture for Luft '46 than earlier time frames. Also, aircraft numbers would be another possiblility, in place of having codes on the fuselage, which in this case is rather smaller than "normal".

Very handsome bit of work, Eric. Congratulations!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
very nice design of an interesting subject!

Another thought regarding the tail markings:
German aircraft with unconventional tails sometimes didn't have the swastikas painted on, for example the flying wing H IX (Go 229) (the ones on the V3 were applied after the war). Probably this would be an alternative.
Google Adsense
Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Wow... I'm amazed to see that there were a great deal of hidden designs on the Reich.

Nice to see this unfolding.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
The Heinkel-built Fouga Magister of post war Luftwaffe had german flags on the upperside and underside of the V-tail, as seen here and here. The Potez/Heinkel CM 191 had a civilian registration but also had 4 flags on the V-tail.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 PM

Mon ami, J'ai oublie les Magisters du Luftwaffe-Bundeswehr, mais, neanmoins, tu as raison, et d'ailleurs, tu est correct.
Le description que j'ai donne etait pour un generalisement en-seule.
Ca suffit `a dire que ce n'est-pas appliquable pour tous circonstances.

Ayant-dis cela, il se me rappelle que les Bonanza V-Tails en generale jamais exhibes aucune des rondels sur les empennages.

Les images que tu as donne sonts superbe, et je te remercier pour eux.

Mes Egards genial, Cafe, ton ami, Uyraell.

(Trx)
My friend, I'd forgotten the Luftwaffe/Bundeswehr Magisters, but nonetheless, you are right,and moreover, you are correct.
The description I gave was a generalisation, alone.
It goes without saying that it does not apply in each and every circumstance.
Having said that: I'm reminded that the V-Tail Bonanza's never showed markings on the V-Tail itself.
The images you gave are superb, and I Thank you for them.

Kind and Respectful Regards Cafe your friend, Uyraell.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 PM

Thanks for the great input!
I'm actually planning to release two versions of the tail -- one with the Hakenkreuz and one without.
I'll release another tail version with both roundels on top and bottom.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:01 PM

And so the build begins.

For the opening salvo, I went straight to the fuselage. In the first P.1106R design, I kinda went overboard with the fuselage formers. For this one, I did a lot of cost cutting. (You can tell I'm not a big fan of making formers since I find it really hard to "guestimate" the size of the allowance for the edges.)

Anyway, so far so good:

As shown in the photo above, I was still able to achieve that shark nose shape of the fuselage (or at least the front half of it) with just three fuselage formers.

Now the problem:

As seen on the picture above, the rear wheel wells were a pain to assemble. I anticipated this in the original P.1106R design. And it was this part of the model that made me go overboard with the fuselage formers.
I'll need to re-think this part and improve its internal structure...
Nevertheless, this setback is not a showstopper. So I'll continue with the build.

Oh, I also handcrafted those joining/glue strips. I did this by printing the PDO pattern into a PDF file. I then imported the PDF file into Inkscape. From there, it was easy to edit the vector lines to produce the glue strips. It worked out pretty well!

More tomorrow, I hope.
Google Adsense

Tags
luft46, me p.1106r, messerschmitt