PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > eric_son's Projects

Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Boeing P-26 @ 1:72 in Philippine Army Air Corp liveries

HI everyone!

It's been a while since I last updated my projects thread. I think I just experienced the longest designer dead-end-spells ever.

Anyway, though I was inactive in the design field, I've been building other designer's models.

In the hopes of re-kindling my designer inspiration, I went back to building the first card models I've purchased --- Dr. Zarkov's ME109G and A6M2.
And boyyy!!! IT worked!

I got inspired by the P-26 after reading about the exploits of my country's ww2 pilots, Jesus Villamor.

As I've already had two false starts with the FW-VTOL and the Bachem Natter. I was hesitant to post a design-build-progress thread. I didn't want to risk adding a third project that would get stalled.

Instead, I went ahead and soldiered on with the design until it was completed.

I've attached some pictures.

What I'll do in the succeeding posts would be to post a design diary that ultimately lead to the finished model.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing P-26 @ 1:72 in Philippine Army Air Corp liveries-img_20160407_185252-640x480-.jpg   Boeing P-26 @ 1:72 in Philippine Army Air Corp liveries-img_20160407_185548-640x479-.jpg   Boeing P-26 @ 1:72 in Philippine Army Air Corp liveries-img_20160407_185646-640x479-.jpg   Boeing P-26 @ 1:72 in Philippine Army Air Corp liveries-img_20160407_185819-640x480-.jpg   Boeing P-26 @ 1:72 in Philippine Army Air Corp liveries-img_20160407_190435-479x640-.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
That's an excellent idea! Please consider doing so.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.32 MB
I am glad my father's work has helped you! I will make sure to tell him, he will be very happy. We'd love to see your own design process.
Support us on Patreon
Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyZarkov View Post
I am glad my father's work has helped you! I will make sure to tell him, he will be very happy. We'd love to see your own design process.
Hi Andrey,

Your father did much, much more. I stumbled upon his old card models store while searching for AXIS aircraft at the old Paperparadise site. This was back in '99. I was so amazed to find how far one can go with cardboard. Prior to seeing works from Modelart, I thought card models were limited to boxy, edgy, minecraft-like models. I was proven wrong.

Being a fan of AXIS aircraft, I immediately purchased the 109 and the A6M2. Years later, I became a bit more aggressive and bought the 1:32 ME109, JU88 and DO17.

While trying to find tips on how to best assemble the 1:32 109, I stumbled upon the old cardmodels.net forums. From there, i saw a nice tutorial on Metaseq...and thereafter, I started my own designs.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:02 PM

So as promised, here's the first part of the my work log.

To start things off, I went googling for a clear set of 3-view diagrams of the P-26. I then cut up the 3-view into top, side and front images which I mapped onto similar sized rectangle objects in META. I then arranged the rectangles to form this 'skeleton':

In making the parts that comprise the airplane, I took the approach that a kid would do when creating complex objects using play-doh. Basically, you create small blobs of basic shapes and put them together.

So I start with a low-poly shape for the fuselage:

Following the same principles, I made the other low-poly blobs of remaining parts. Here's a shot of the various parts of the model as low-poly objects:

When you put these together, you'll get this:

The next step would be to convert the low-poly objects into actual wireframes. From there, I'll simplify and finetune the objects.

I'll cover that in my next post.
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2016, 08:11 PM

Continuing from my previous post, I performed an OBJECT>FREEZE operation on the low poly objects to get this:

Looks nice! But unless I'm doing a 1:1 scale model, it would be foolish to go straight to Pepakura.

Hence the next steps would be to simplify the model.

I start with the fuselage. Using the knife tool, I erase edges while taking great care to maintain the gentle curves of the fuselage.

Once done, I proceed to apply the same treatment to the wings:

Before I proceed with the other shapes, I do a BOOLEAN operation by subtracting the fuselage from the wing (WING minus FUSELAGE):

I apply the same simplification + boolean operation with the other objects. Here's an exploded view of the parts that would eventually comprise the model:

And here's how it looks like when brought together:

At this point, the model is now ready to be unwrapped in Pepakura.

I'll cover unwrapping and texture mapping in my next post.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:55 PM

Loading the MQO model into pepakura produced a lot of warnings about vertices, edges and faces being deleted and merged. I had to go back to Metaseq to locate those rogue vertices left behind by the boolean operations.

After a bit of work, Pepakura stopped complaining.

At this point, I used Pepakura's Export function to generate an OBJ file with UV info. I also exported the unwrapped diagrams into PDF.

From Inkscape, I imported the PDF. This would be the base of my texture/skin for the model. For now, I export this to PNG.

From METASEQ, I opened the OBJ file that I recently exported from Pepakura. I then created a new Map object, and set the image to the PNG file that I exported from Inkscape. I then assigned the map onto the model.

From there, I went to Metaseq's MAPPING mode. Pepakura has done a good job in exporting the UV info. The scale/position is a bit off. A small bit of scaling an translations solved this.

Once I got the UV-mappings in place, I went back to Inkscape to draw the actual seam lines, camo, liveries, etc. Switching back and forth between inkscape and metaseq allowed to check if the textures are aligned correctly.

After a series of refinements, I ended up with this:

I then went back to Pepakura, and performed a 'reload 3d model' function to update the texture info.

The model is ready to build.

My next post will narrate the actual build process.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:31 AM

Time for the build!

All parts fit in one A4 sheet.

Engine Assembly:

I encountered serious trouble fitting the cowling. I didn't give enough allowance/space between the cylinders and the cowling. I had to peel off the tops of the cylinders to make it fit.

I'll adjust the model in META later.

Fuselage:

Nothing special...pretty straightforward.

Rudder Assembly:

The vertical stabilizer wraps around the tail end of the fuselage.

Elevator Assembly:

Again, nothing special... moving on..

Wing Assembly:

I had a bit of trouble with the wing spars. I had to clip off a bit of the wing spars to make them fit. I'll need to adjust this in Metaseq.

Landing Gears

Wheel spat parts

Rear wheel parts

I was expecting trouble from the wheel spats. But surprisingly, they went together smoothly.

Almost there...

Propeller and doodads

For the propeller shaft, I used a bamboo toothpick.

Rigging
For the rigging, I used cotton thread stiffened with CA:

Done!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:36 AM

Some more pix:

So much trouble for hidden details...

Group photo with Dr Zarkov's A6M2 and ME109G6

I'll be spending some time making minor adjustments to the engine cylinders and the wing spars. Afterwards, I'll upload the diagrams in the downloads section.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.32 MB
Thank you for the detailed post. It's very interesting to see the whole process from scratch. Especially when I've seen how my father works and I can compare the differences between both styles.
Support us on Patreon
Google Adsense

Tags
metaseq, p-26, peashooter, pepakura, villamor