5/22/2010Virginia
Fairfax
Region 2Northern Virginia Model Classic 2010
Fairfax High School
3501 Rebel Run Map
IPMS Northern Virginia Modelers
Tom Henderson 703-680-9354

Northern Virginia IPMS - Model Classic 2010

Personal note: I may attend this one but not compete. It is a very nice show with many interesting vendors. Last year there were tables for a ship builders club, a LEGO club and an RC tank club in addition to the regular plastic kit vendors. I do recommend it if you are in the area.

Greg
Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Having been involved with the Model Classic in the past, I can heartily recommend this event. The last time I participated was in 2004 and I remember Peter Heesch was there and had a table selling paper kits. I bought the Halinski P-39N kit from him.

Mike
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.83 MB
Thanks, I'll try to attend.

Also, the Dulles Expo Center (Chantilly) is having the LEGO BrickFair on 7-8 Aug.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 AM

Well, nothing ventured......

I didn't think I was going to get to this event today. The wife had indicted other plans last week, but suddenly those plans changed, and I was a free man! So I went this morning. Having not attended a NOVA meeting in about five years, it was absolutely great to see some old friends and familiar faces.

Didn't go empty handed. I entered a model on behalf of the boy(tm). We built this together a couple of years ago. The pictures don't do the runny spray paint job justice:

Of course his old man had to bring something. There isn't a separate category for paper in this event, so my entry is lumped in with all the others for my scale: "Airplanes 1/32nd" (which technically, means by model doesn't fit. But it's meant for "large scale", so we'll see). Pretty stiff competition:

Nobody clues in that it's paper until I tell them, which is surprising. I feel a little bad, as I'm friends with the head judge, and I don't want him to think I'm trying to throw a monkey wrench into the works. They're a great bunch over there, so I'm confident it will all shake out in the end.

The boy and I are heading back this afternoon for the awards and to collect our models, but don't expect much, except maybe for the kid and his Ryan (go Jerry!!!). BUT I have to admit, it is fun to see folks reaction when they learn the PBJ is paper. And, again, it's great to see some old faces.

More later.......

Mike
Old 05-22-2010, 04:00 PM

No Joy in Mudville....

As I foretold, the paper Mitchell was no match for the plastic onslaught.

HOWEVER, family honor has been maintained thanks to the lad's performance:

A terrific ending to a terrific day if I say so myself!

Mike
Old 05-22-2010, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Congrats to your son! Knowing how much work you put into your PBJ and the fantastic results you achieved, I still think you should have won an award as well.

This is another example of the reason I like AMPS style judging (Gold, Silver, Bronze). I wish this judging was the norm and not the exception.

At least you showed up and competed, so congrats to you!! I was unable to attend myself. I spent the morning car shopping with the wifey.

Greg