Yuba City
Region 9
First United Methodist Church
3101 Colusa Hwy Map
IPMS Dragon Lady
Don Terbush 530-674-8194
Old 07-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
This one is in my area. They will have a category for paper models as they have had for the past three years. There were only three people with two entries each in the paper category last year....
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
lets see if we can up that this year
Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM

it will be interesting. There's quite a few a few plastic purists in the area....
Old 07-24-2010, 01:43 PM

As of 10:30 am this morning, sadly there were no paper models entered with only 1.5 hours remaining to register....
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
thats too bad - we really need to work on our organization.... see who we can get to drop in at these contests!
Chris
Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM

I did my best to try to get folks over there, but in the end, everybody appeared to be avoiding IPMS Dragon Lady and there were ZERO paper model entries. The undeniable fact that this area is dominated by plastic 'purists' no doubt contributed to this...
Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
I completed two card model aircraft for the 2010 Dragon Lady show. Unfortunately, I tore a blood vessel in my right leg a week before the contest and still cannot walk or drive. I was at the Yuba City contest in 2009 and I will be there again in 2011 (unless something pretty dramatic once again prevents it).

I know having no entries in a category is very disappointing but please don't give up. When introducing a new category it can take several years for the word to get out and participation to ramp up. I believe "Medium other than Plastic" was first added in 2009. Potential contestants still may not know it exists.

Card modeling really represents a niche category in an IPMS contest, more akin to helicopters or artillery than 1/35 armor, closed top or 1/48 aircraft, single engine, prop. Attendance in niche categories often fluctuates pretty dramatically from year to year. One bad year does not indicate any kind of long term trend.

For those like me who missed out on the IPMS Dragon Lady/Yuba City show, the upcoming IPMS Reno contest (September 11, 2010) has 5 card model categories (Reno High Rollers-Events) and the upcoming IPMS Orange County contest (October 9, 2010) has one card model category (Orangecon Main Information Page).

Finally, I would like to talk about "plastic model purists". An IPMS contest mostly draws plastic model builders because the contest categories are mostly for plastic models! Of course they dominate--it's designed that way. However, the vast majority of IPMS members I have spoken with are appreciative of a good model regardless of the medium. In fact, in my experience, a well built, difficult, accurate card model garners more interest than a similar subject in another medium. The fact the sponsors are including one or more card model categories in a plastic model contest shows just how seriously they take the art form. They are dedicating table space--very limited and valuable resource--and money for awards to the category. These are not the actions of people who look down on you. Further, since you have your own category, you are competing against other card models, not the plastic ones.

Card modelers do not make more headway in contests and clubs because they chose not to, not because some external force prevents them. Blaming plastic model builders is a lame, transparent excuse.

-Doug
Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damraska View Post
Card modelers do not make more headway in contests and clubs because they chose not to, not because some external force prevents them. Blaming plastic model builders is a lame, transparent excuse.-Doug
I am not blaming the plastic modelers. Like you stated, an IPMS contest mostly draws plastic model builders because the contest categories are mostly for plastic models and they dominate because its designed that way. IPMS Dragon Lady is a fine club that has always had a Misc Other than plastic category for paper modelers to enter.

But I personally know most of the judges and I know the reputation of the persons who came from neighboring clubs to supervise our judges. I know they have preconceived notions and most have their own personal biases concerning what should 'dominate' at an IPMS function because I have sat in most of these meetings in a chair beside them and listened to them put down anything that is not plastic. Most of them lack the ability to accurately judge a paper model and would not be able to understand the difference between a Halinski paper model, or a Maly Modelarz with a Aero Glass Gomix Canopy and wooden wheels purchased from the Paper Model Store. Furthermore, they make no effort to care because in my opinion, if there is something that is plastic within the same category, it will somehow take the award over the non plastic model. The 2010 show happened to be one of the only ones I have attended in three years in which the paper model entries where so abundant that the awards actually had to go to some well deserving paper modelers for a change. The misc category this year was a bit confusing because of the elimination of separate categories such as vacuform and a couple of others and they were all lumped into it. I wish you could have made it to compete because I was extremely disheartened to see how the category was handled. I am not blaming anyone for lack of progress, nor am I blaming plastic modelers. I am simply stating that I know from experience, at least in this case, how the status quo thinks.

Last edited by Gman93643; 08-02-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
I largely agree with your assessment of the status quo and your points are well taken. There are a lot of IPMS members in leadership who do not embrace modeling as a whole and wallow in one or another myopic corner. The average IPMS member has no clue what a card model is, let alone what it takes to build a decent one. Only a rare handful of IPMS members are qualified to judge a card model. When paper goes against plastic, paper usually loses in the confusion. I have experienced all these things.

However, I still contend card modelers have the power to effect positive change. If card models appear on contest tables in sufficient numbers, judges must take them seriously and must give them dedicated categories. Many IPMS clubs are open to the idea but simply do not get enough participation from card modelers to justify the effort. Card modelers can volunteer to judge just like anyone else, bringing much needed know-how to the equation. Judging is a thankless job, yes, but it makes the whole contest system go and offers a fast track to becoming a better model builder. Card modelers can become IPMS members, volunteer for leadership positions, and even become head judges.

This is all a bit of a chicken and egg problem. To attract card modelers, IPMS clubs must take action to welcome them. But before IPMS clubs will take action, card modelers must participate in sufficient numbers to demonstrate seriousness.

IPMS Dragon Lady/Yuba City is a great club and I look forward to their future contests. As long as a card model friendly category exists I will compete in it (major accidents notwithstanding) and encourage others to do so. I should build something really obnoxious and spectacular for next year since this one was a bust.

-Doug
Google Adsense