PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness

Old 03-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
FGMM Piper J3 Cub with soda can

Some years ago i build a FG J3 Cub using aluminiun (soda can) like paper.

Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.87 GB
I love this model , congrats!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 AM

That's brilliant. how did you attach the parts? Those wheels look very diffecult, to be so perfect, in aluminium!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned

Wow, that's really cool!. Imagine a F-104 or something like that done with shiny side up aluminum, very cool.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanks for your comments, well, the matter began when I saw a few years ago on the FG website a model build with aluminum can (soda can), since then I want build so but i didnt know how, late I found in Internet a book offered for sale to learn these techniques but did not buy it. (I'm Ecuadorian, I dont buy things online J).

After thinking about it I thought I could "unfold" the cans and glue a printed pattern of an FG model and act as if pieces of cardboard, my intention was that model was externally paper and internally were aluminum which would be really “hard” model.

In the photos below I show how to convert a "soda can" in a flat sheet (be carefull i you try it), then proceeded to glue the model using white glue, then I use heavy books as press, later I proceeded to cut the aluminum like cardboard with scissors (common one), everything worked fine, but when I process to fold the pieces the paper off the aluminum. But the paper pieces were cover on the back with a transparent layer of rubber so I built the two models, the aluminum stuck with super glue and the paper with white glue.

I've only made few Piper J3 aluminum models, I gave the models to my friends who have very much appreciated, I suspect that it is possible to build any FG aluminum models with this “technique” and perhaps set the layer of paper with an stronger adhesive or perhaps use side "without paint" as the exterior of the model and then paint the colors and details with a brush or airbrush.

Unfold can is found to be of a size close to the "A5" and because that no part of the model may be larger than this size.

(sorry my bad english)
Google Adsense
Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM

How unfold a soda can to get a plain sheet.

Warning: This is dangerous, dont try to do if you not are in legal age, if not sober or you do not have protective equipment and insurance up to date.

If finally you do this activity, the consecuens is not my responsibility.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Hola. I can't see the images. I can see an image of a frog on ice with the following sentence: Domain Unregistered
To view, register at:
bit.ly/imageshack-domain
Regards
Alcides
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
Hola. I can't see the images. I can see an image of a frog on ice with the following sentence: Domain Unregistered
To view, register at:
bit.ly/imageshack-domain
Regards
Alcides

Hello,

You have to sign up in imageshack, sorry no my fault, is the market rule: no free lunch.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Hmmm, I see the images just fine. Must be one of those gremlin things that keeps some from seeing them.

That is a nice technique. A few of the members here have shown it in making other models.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Nice build - ideosyncratic!

Of course, don't let the Piper Cub-nuts know you built their beloved tube-and-rag airplane out of metal ... now if it was a Cessna ...

Yogi
Google Adsense