PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness

Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Right, printed out another(!) MiG-3, ME109 and purchased the Dornier Arrow, Hawker Hurricane and the P-40 Warhawk. Let's see if I can build any of them this time around...
Old 03-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Can anyone help me? I don't seem to be able to find a WSAM number for the JU-52. No scale info at all as far as I can see. Anyone have any insight into what scale this model is? Many thanks,
Chris
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.92 MB
I posted this in the stock thread Civil JU-52. The regular is about 1/79 and the large is about 1/51
Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Thanks a lot. Sorry I didn't see it in the other thread.
Chris
Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.68 MB
FGMM and EMAGS Scale Calculator

Rick what a great idea. I want in and am starting the FG Fokker EIII. Don't know if will just be the plane or if time permits a diorama with perhaps a DR-1. I'm slow but then I'm ole :D(turned 84 on Wed) but new to paper modeling and having a ball :p.
Now HELP !!! I build in 1/48 scale (O-scale in Model RR) and the WSAM on the regular FG EIII is 87. When I enter that into EMAG's Scale Calc 1/48 scale tells me to enlarge it to 106% which comes out way to big. The prototype wingspan of the EIII is 31'2" which scales out to 7.8" (rounded) in 1/48 scale and 98% of the regular FG EIII prints out at 7.8 (rounded).
Where have I gone astray ???

Bill Hancock
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
The main problem is you're using the wingspan to determine scale.

One bit of advice with FG models is to never use the wingspan to determine the scale. Chip is an artist, and his main concern is that the model sheets look good, and don't have huge blank spots. So...if he's looking at a wings sheet with a huge blank spot, and doesn't have something to put there, he'll do whatever is needed, including stretch the wings to fill the hole. Nothing to glaring, maybe a half inch or so, but it does throw off the scaling.

The best examples I can think of are the Horten Ho-IV and the Me-361/363. I wanted the biggest wingspan I could get, but was limited by other parts as to how big I could set the scale. So, we subtly stretched the wings out of scale to the maximum they would fit on the page.

It doesn't happen to every model, but enough that I wouldn't recommend using the wingspan to determine scaling issues.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Hi Bill I think it's the math. I get 8.2" for the wingspan in 1/48 scale. And a WSAM=87% should be printed out at 109% size to be 1:48. In order to make the calculator work, you have to be sure to hit the Enter key after entering the WSAM value.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the responses and I look forward to learning much more from you experts about the PaperModeling world.

murphyaa: I take it that Chip and others take artistic license regarding scale in their designs. My plans for a long range project is to combine my life long love for any thing that flys with my model railroading and build several WW-1 planes and create a small model RR layout servicing an aircraft museum in O gauge. ie 1/48 scale. Therefore the wingspans of the several models should be in a fairly constant relationship. If I scale FG models to the prototype wingspan the other small differences shouldn't be noticable.

emags: I think perhaps murphyaa's response explains the difference. As to the math the real EIII has a 31' 2" wingspan or 374" divided by 48 = 7.79166 inches as opposed to the 8.2" from the WSAM calc. Perhaps the artistic license in scaling effects his calculation of the WSAM # but in my condition of "a little knowledge is dangerous" I must admit I really don't know what a WSAM# means.

Again Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Ah that may be the difference. Looking in wikipedia and other sources I see a wingspan of 32'11" = 395" / 48 = 8.229". This is probably the value used in calculating the scale on the model.

There must have been multiple versions as I see varying values, from 30'10" through 32'11", with this latter value being the most referenced.

Oh, and WSAM stands for World's Smallest Air Museum and this is a 1/60 scale. So WSAM=XX% means "print at XX% to get 1/60 scale."
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Thanks emags, life is never simple so I guess we choose sides and make up our mind as to what we want to do. Since I have printed and cut and qlued part of my EIII I'm going with the

My proposed Air Museum at 1/48 scale won't be the "Worlds Smallest" 31' 2" size I found in wiki and on Chip's site.

Do really appriciate your help and since have a certain kindred with Chip (we fulltime motor homed for 3 years in a 1985 Beaver Casablanca using a few Wally World parking lots) will build as many FG models as can.
Google Adsense

Tags
fiddler's green