PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Figurines and Anime

Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
First build in several years - squirtle

This is my first complete build in many many years. Squirtle has always been my favorite pokemon. My wife was working on an Eevee along with me, but she didn't finish hers, but she made the effort to try out a hobby that I enjoy, which is pretty awesome.

I found it to be a pretty educational and enjoyable experience. I definitely understand the value of printing on good paper, and the importance of edge coloring. Some of these seams are painfully obvious.

Some of the components were pretty fiddly up until the final piece was still glued on, and even getting enough pressure on that final piece was difficult. I imagine formers of some sort would have gone a long way to fixing that, and having more experience etc.

It was a good time and I learned a lot about a lot of things from this model, and took away a few lessons for when I start designing my own models.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
First build in several years - squirtle-dscf3341.jpg   First build in several years - squirtle-dscf3342.jpg   First build in several years - squirtle-dscf3344.jpg   First build in several years - squirtle-dscf3345.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Came out great! I've never built a figure, but to me they look like some of the most difficult to build. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Edge-coloring is important. I do quite a few birds, fish and mammals, and one of the things I picked up on early was to stuff them full of tissue as I'm building. I've gotten to the point where I can guess at 'stress points' and will glue a reinforcement strip in those locations, which also helps.

Overall, it is a very nice build. Being a character that you like always helps to keep one motivated to get it completed.

Are you going to go back and build your wife's choice?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Edge-coloring is important. I do quite a few birds, fish and mammals, and one of the things I picked up on early was to stuff them full of tissue as I'm building.
What are the tissues for? Is that a way to give some rigidity to the form?

Thanks all for the nice comments!

I think I will go back and do my wife's soon, last night she said I could go ahead and do it if I felt like it. Maybe try out a few new techniques to get some practice in.

Dan
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Yes, by stuffing the insides with tissue, it makes the figure less susceptible to deforming. It doesn't make it 'solid', but definitely helps. You had mentioned that being able to add enough pressure on the final pieces was somewhat difficult. This would help
Google Adsense
Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 AM

I wouldn't have thought of that... thanks so much!