PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Figurines and Anime

Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.51 MB
Smile Bumblebee (Detailed) - 2nd Attempt

Hallo all - out East London in the Eastern Cape of sunny South Africa.

I have started my 2nd attempt at this awesome model from the Paper inside website.

With the first attempt, I had built the arms, the head (with LED's) and completed both legs.
To my dismay, I discovered that I had not connected the LED's for the eyes correctly (series instead of parralel!!!?);
The other big shock was that my two legs were of different sizes - I had printed the pages at different times and the guy at the printing shop. who does my printing for me had entered the wrong resolution/size.
Needless to say I was not happy at all - I gave all of my collective work until then, a Hulk SMASH and tossed everything in the dustbin.
I was still determined to build this model and I set of to the printer to print everything in one go.
I should also mention, that I think the standard layout is for A4, but I have printed mine on A3, so it will definitely be bigger than the original height spec of 45cm.
Anyhow, this is the result thus far.
I am already halfway with the torso and am now at the stage of connecting the LED's for the headlamps and foglights (all in parrallel of course!!!?) - pictures of this to follow in the near future.

It would be nice to get some tips and/or advice from anyone that is/has building/built it - the last thread I saw was from JellyH doing his.
I try and do something (no matter how small) on it every night, but this does not always happen, as my family (amazingly understanding(?!) wife and two awesome young daughters (2 & 6) together with my other hobbies (PC gaming, flight simming, paintballing,etc.) tend to fend for the rest of attention while I am awake.

This model WILL be completed though, even if it takes some time.

Watch this space!!!?

- Will J.
P.S.- I have posted these pics with more descriptions on my FB - profile at:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7134888&type=3
Attached Thumbnails
Bumblebee (Detailed) - 2nd Attempt-img_0271.jpg   Bumblebee (Detailed) - 2nd Attempt-img_0272.jpg   Bumblebee (Detailed) - 2nd Attempt-img_0273.jpg   Bumblebee (Detailed) - 2nd Attempt-img_0280.jpg   Bumblebee (Detailed) - 2nd Attempt-img_0276.jpg  

Last edited by Will J.; 04-26-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a picture
Google Adsense
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Will J.:
My suggestion is to get your lighting wire harness together with longer wires check to make sure it works like you want then as it is put together the wires can eather be tucked or shortened.
Good Luck,
MILES
Old 04-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Thanks Miles,
Thanks for the advice.
That is exactly what I have checked, checked and rechecked - on the other 4 LED's, I have go a lot of length to play with - I have also tested to ensure that all the connections are working - now just to put it all in place.
Will post pics in a few days when done.
WKR,
Will J.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM

Location: I live in Johanensburg South Africa, the real Gangsters Paradise!
Total Downloaded: 40.11 MB
Good to see another South African in the hobby, great model so far and will keep my eyes on this build!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.12 MB
Speaking of south africans. You guys know of any shops where kits are available ?
Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2014, 05:12 AM

Update

Finally got my donkey into gear and started building the torso again, so technically this has become build 2.1.
I was having hassles with the look of the head- and foglights, so following a furious, shortlived Hulk - smash, I had a reprint done and have now again started the task of building Bumblebee's torso.
I have finished the engine compartment, which houses the battery, swith and wiring, but had to trim away part of the circular, tiered section holding the switch to form enough space to open the lid (with the engine head on top) wide enough to insert a battery. For the lights: 1: Blue LED's in eyes; 2: Headlamps; 3: Fog lights. I have checked and rechecked the wiring and connectivity and everything is working. I will attempt to build 2 to 3 steps every night and will post accordingly. Pic 3 is the prepping for tonight's build.

It's the Weeeeeekeeend Baby!!!? Have a good one and watch this space!!!?
Attached Thumbnails
Bumblebee (Detailed) - 2nd Attempt-20140530_061656.jpg   Bumblebee (Detailed) - 2nd Attempt-20140530_061736.jpg   Bumblebee (Detailed) - 2nd Attempt-20140530_061707.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
This is gonna be uber Awesome....

Best regards,
loui
Old 05-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal01 View Post
Good to see another South African in the hobby, great model so far and will keep my eyes on this build!
Agreed, for the longest time, pretty sure I was the only one here. Welcome from Cape Town. Bumblebee looks good! You might want to consider the paper replika Optimus Prime as well.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by westley View Post
Speaking of south africans. You guys know of any shops where kits are available ?
I'm assuming local? Where about in SA are you?
Old 06-02-2014, 04:49 AM

Hi Niki,
I stay in East London.

The PR Optimus Prime is on my agenda for the future - it is however going to be a monster of build. I calculated it to be about 253 pages and if done on A4 it will cost me just over R632.50 (R2.50 per page) for the printing alone. Despite the cost, the plan is to definitely build it at some stage in the future.

After Bumblebee (or maybe inbetween as a change of scenery), my next build is going to be the anatomical head by Bert Simons (papercraft anatomy head | bert simons),
followed by the Halinski F14 Tomcat (VF1 Wolfpack).
There is also UHU's detailed X-wing and BG Viper that I am still mustering up the courage to also tackle one day.

What's your building plans forward?
Google Adsense